E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

damn! dead battery!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

so i drove to the gym today came home round 12 watched the eagles beat the giants came out to take a ride to get a burger at 5 and i press the start button and ...nothing... weird noises from the car the interior gauges flicker. was kinda scary. look at the light switch noticed i left it on.. coulda swore i did this in the past and never had an issue. i dunno. called a freind and we jumped it. let his car run for 15 mins hooked up to the posts under the hood. then fired it right up. after which i took a lil drive and let the car idle for bout 30 mins.no eror codes or nething unusual. im hoping it starts tommrow morning at 2am going to work... should i take battery out tommorw bring it upstars (apartment) and set it on a 2amp charge for a couple hours?.. typically i drive the car everyday but only 20-25 mile trips.. and during i like to bump the bass. i hardly take long drives. 2006 not sure if its the orginally battery or not. first time this ever happened. when the car didnt start the lights and everything worked.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
so i drove to the gym today came home round 12 watched the eagles beat the giants came out to take a ride to get a burger at 5 and i press the start button and ...nothing... weird noises from the car the interior gauges flicker. was kinda scary. look at the light switch noticed i left it on.. coulda swore i did this in the past and never had an issue. i dunno. called a freind and we jumped it. let his car run for 15 mins hooked up to the posts under the hood. then fired it right up. after which i took a lil drive and let the car idle for bout 30 mins.no eror codes or nething unusual. im hoping it starts tommrow morning at 2am going to work... should i take battery out tommorw bring it upstars (apartment) and set it on a 2amp charge for a couple hours?.. typically i drive the car everyday but only 20-25 mile trips.. and during i like to bump the bass. i hardly take long drives. 2006 not sure if its the orginally battery or not. first time this ever happened. when the car didnt start the lights and everything worked.
get the battery tested, if it holds a charge for some time then more than likely you don't need to replace the battery.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

old batteries are known for quickly losing charge.
check the battery date. its stamped on the negative post of battery.
if the battery is original, then its due for change anyways.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Contributors

ill have to check that date. ugg not looking foward to a 400 dollar battery!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Contributors

After 4+ years it's probably time to replace the battery .. The cold spell we've had recently reduces battery reserve capacity and (like extremely hot weather) taxes a battery. Unless something else is failing (like alternator) If you're going to hook up a battery tender that might buy you some time. But in my experience, 2 hrs on a tender isn't going to bring or keep your battery up to snuff. You should plan, especially if your tender is "automatic", to keep it connected overnight. The cost of replacing a battery is all over the map. And I believe the requirement to "register" the battery depends on several factors including if the replacement battery has different electrical characteristics than the original battery. The dealers seem to be charging about one hour labor to install and register then battery ... add to that the price of the battery.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I don't know how much the battery weighs but I have the OEM battery that's been sitting on an automatic trickle charger in 2008....I had it replaced under warranty and then immediately threw it on the trickle charger where it's sat since. I'll give it to you for the actual Fedex cost to ship + $75. Let me know if you decide to go that route.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Contributors

ill keep u in mind ach. if it starts tomm morn and i can get to work and back im going to charge it for the rest of the night. then call the stealer and ask bout the price for a new one, and take it from there
Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I don't know how much the battery weighs but I have the OEM battery that's been sitting on an automatic trickle charger in 2008....I had it replaced under warranty and then immediately threw it on the trickle charger where it's sat since. I'll give it to you for the actual Fedex cost to ship + $75. Let me know if you decide to go that route.
That's a generous offer!!

Can you FedEx a (lead acid) battery? I don't think so ??? Where are you located - maybe the OP can drive to your location for the battery?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
That's a generous offer!!

Can you FedEx a (lead acid) battery? I don't think so ??? Where are you located - maybe the OP can drive to your location for the battery?
Different couriers have different rules. USPS will not allow. I have corporate accounts with many couriers and I'll choose which one is best. FedEx and UPS allows me to ship firearms and ammunition....don't see why they wouldn't allow an appropriately packaged battery. Although I've been shipping everyday for the past few years I do appreciate the input.

http://www.fedex.com...rvices/options/
http://images.fedex....ippingTable.pdf

Accepted Hazardous Materials

CLASSNAMELABEL CODE/LABEL1.4[sup]1[/sup]Explosives1.4/Explosive 1.41.6Explosives1.6/Explosive 1.62.1Flammable Gas2.1/Flammable Gas2.2Non-Flammable Gas2.2/Non-Flammable Gas3Flammable Liquid3/Flammable Liquid4.1Flammable Solid4.1/Flammable Solid5.1Oxidizer5.1/Oxidizer5.2Organic Peroxide5.2/Organic Peroxide7Radioactive Material I7/Radioactive White I8Corrosive Material8/Corrosive9Miscellaneous Hazardous Materials9/Class 9ORM-DConsumer Commodity (ORM-D)ORM-D/Consumer CommodityORM-DCartridges, Small Arms (ORM-D)
ORM-D/Cartridges, Small Arms
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Guys - so its not as simple as just buying a replacement battery and changing myself? I see them online from Bosch for $125 - i saw something about battery registration, can someone explain to me?

Quick Reply: damn! dead battery!!