E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged E60

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:55 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$700
Old 06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jtxc' date='Jun 30 2004, 03:19 PM
P.S.? I'm keeping the? Roundel,? any suggestions for their future use,? besides a coaster.
Send it free to Rollee as a symbolic gesture beetween fellow E60 owners . He had a sleeze ball take it from his brand newcar inflicting damage to the metal and paint a couple of weeks ago...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Senior Members

thanks for the support dantheman. i just thought to suggest keeping the roundel handy as a spare just in case it went missing.
jtxc sorry to hear of your repair, i hope they do a fine job. seeing those pics sends chills down my back.
i finally got everything repaired back to normal( ~$200), the colour mobile repair people did a fantastic job and the car looks like new again. i got the replacement roundel from my dealer, it was ~$30, but nonetheless an unnecessary expense, imagine how many people i can cheer up by using that money to buy them a round. cheers! rollee
Old 07-01-2004, 12:24 AM
DrT
Members

jtxc, I have exactly the same damage from last weekend. I decided to reverse very slowly into a 4x4 offroader on a country lane. Crumple zone bumper worked just fine but the rails on the offroader got my boot lid. The replacement of the entire bumper cover seems crazy on low impact crunches -so much for the crumple zone (up to 4mph). Fellow readers beware : do not rely on the crumple zone concept.

What really grates is I have PDC front and rear. a) I should have reacted quicker, I shouldn't have engaged reverse instead of 1st gear and hit it again (how many of you have engaged Reverse instead of 1st - it's dangerously easy to do !)c) its costs more to repair as the PDC needs changing over to the new bumper cover.

Interesting other fact from my body shop - replacement bumpers and boot lids come as undercoated blanks only. This means a full spray and lacquer is required (hence your nice paint bill). It also means that emblems, reflectors and the like are re-ordered automatically.

So a tip - before you take your car for repairs, take the badge, the model badge and the reflectors off yourself and either get the body shop to re-use them or retain them for spares !

I can't tell you the pit you get in your stomach when you prang your car, especially this one. It's like seeing your child get struck by someone and you're powerless to intervene. Then there's the embarassment of having to drive around in a brand new car with a gash in its tail. (Thank God it was me and not my wife driving. It would be more grounds for divorce than farting into a hollow fibre double duvet! ).
Old 07-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DrT' date='Jul 1 2004, 02:24 AM
Then there's the embarassment of having to drive around in a brand new car with a gash in its tail.
So true, what will the neighbors think?