E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damaged bumper and fender - small claims? Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All due respect, you need a new friend... I would be furious if a friend handed over my car that I lent them (which I almost never do as a matter of course) to a third party, particularly with the objective to get the car into an especially tight spot. What, there were no other parking spots around? I would personally go after the third party to collect all of the damages. Hire a lawyer if they don't cooperate.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by mrich1353
Can you say "insurance fraud"!!!!
I agree. OP, please do not use this option. It raises rates for everyone and it's not ethical.

Originally Posted by obacht545
I would personally go after the third party to collect all of the damages. Hire a lawyer if they don't cooperate.
Wrong, the friend assumes all responsibility for the car when he borrows it. If he gave permission to a third party to park without consulting the owner of the car, he is still responsible for any damage incurred by the third party.

The real lesson here is, never, ever, ever, let anyone borrow your car, wife, or kids. Live by that rule and you will never have a story like this to tell.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
Wrong, the friend assumes all responsibility for the car when he borrows it.

Exactly. And if either one had any character, they would both accept responsibility for it and split the cost between themselves. You should not be out anything and are owed an apology. Big time.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

I agree. OP, please do not use this option [Insurance Fraud]. It raises rates for everyone and it's not ethical.
Oh, not a chance. That wasn't even in my mind. The whole point of me wanting to collect on the damage done is about honesty and integrity. Not some lie.

the friend assumes all responsibility for the car when he borrows it. If he gave permission to a third party to park without consulting the owner of the car, he is still responsible for any damage incurred by the third party.
Which is what my lawyer said. Looks like I'll be burdening the courts with my claim.

The real lesson here is, never, ever, ever, let anyone borrow your car, wife, or kids. Live by that rule and you will never have a story like this to tell.
When I used to borrow my fathers car I would baby it and detail it. Not one scratch ever appeared on his car when I drove it. It all depends on the person you let borrow it. Had the person that did the damage said 'sorry I can't afford to pay that much' I would have worked out a deal. Instead he simply blamed it on someone else and not himself. It's all about character.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

I finally had some time to take pictures.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

IMO, your friend is a moron since it was his idea to park where he had no business trying. At least your friend's friend was cool enough to pay some of the damage costs.

I'd just take whatever both of them offered and never let them borrow your car again. IMO none of this would have happened if you haven't loaned the car in the first place. Lesson learned.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by or_550i
I finally had some time to take pictures.
That sucks!!!! Sorry, bro.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Firstly, sorry to hear of your damages by the 3rd party.

Ok, I don't know exactly where you're from but my advice to you is (as a lawyer) this -

1. First, decide whether to proceed to recover the amount of approximately $1,500 from your friend + 3rd party;
2. If you know a friend who's a lawyer who can do some pro-bono work for you, ask to draft up a letter of demand for the amount of damage caused. If you don't, go to a local community legal centre to draft up the letter for you and send them both off to your friend and 3rd party;
3. They probably won't respond and hopefully you can get the lawyer or community lawyer to commence proceedings and also put in an application for judgment against both of them and have it enforced by Court and the Police (to fetch their property) if necessary.

The downside of the above is the following -

1.The cost of the legal fees will be important though because $1,500 isn't very much for a claim especially to use a lawyer... but if it won't cost as much or is about the same as the amount for insurance, you might as well use the above option; and
2. Waiting period - you'll have to wait probably even if you go to Court - at LEAST a month or two;
3. No guaranteed result.

Good luck with it though!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006
Good luck with it though!
A little update... Both people that drove my car and caused the damaged have agreed to pay for the repairs. Thank you everyone for your input.

Now... Do I take the money and get an M bumper since my current one had rock chips galore?!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
A little update... Both people that drove my car and caused the damaged have agreed to pay for the repairs. Thank you everyone for your input.

Now... Do I take the money and get an M bumper since my current one had rock chips galore?!

From the photos, your bumpers cover appears to have been repaired/painted before. The only way to prevent future issues with rock chips is to get a new bumper cover. The M bumper is definitely nice!

Quick Reply: Damaged bumper and fender - small claims? Need advise