E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Daddy needs new shoes" aka the extra 600 - worth it or wors

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LW78' post='778253' date='Jan 27 2009, 04:28 AM
Go with ANY tire non-RFT
Serious, ditch the RFT's. You won't be sorry! Also, because of the softer ride, you're suspension (and the rest of the car, for that matter) will be receive less of a 'beating' on all the potholes!
I have Toyo Versado LX which are more luxury and less sport oriented, non runflats that I'm happy with. Pretty inexpensive - I think I paid $120 per tire installed and they came with a free 3 yr replacement warranty. They even switched over my TPM for free, too and gave me boxes to ship my old wheels and tires to their new owner in. I honestly was between getting the Bridgestone all seasons and the Toyos. The Bridgestones needed to be ordered and they didn't want to do a test fit (I went with a 45 aspect ratio on my xi). The toyo dealer had them in stock and was eager to test fit (because he had both the 40 and 45 aspect ratios in stock).

There is also the Toyo Proxes4 which is more performance oriented too, if you want a more performance oriented all season.

Mark
Old 01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I always thought that michellin is a softer, more cruising kind of tire. Plus, they are pricey...

Originally Posted by firewired' post='778288' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:57 AM
Out of curiosity why aren't the other oem tire, Michelin Pilot Sports on your list?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Michelin makes the best tires, bar none!
Try a Michelin PS2 and you will forget about any other tire. It is also the most expensive tire . Look at all the supercars, they all come with Michelins.
Raj
Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Thanks, Mark! Yes, I am going to check out the toyos I knew I was forgetting something haha
But I want the tires to be pretty sporty, so I'll probably look at the proxy4's.

So far, it seems it is between the toyos, the 960s (although I'm tempted to go for the stiffer sidewalk of the summer 760s, but New York weather - Im simply scared of the occasional snow) and the yokohamas. The yokos have some reviews that dis it's snow/ice performance totally on tirerack. But sometimes I attribute those more to driving skills ;-)

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='778344' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:05 AM
I have Toyo Versado LX which are more luxury and less sport oriented, non runflats that I'm happy with. Pretty inexpensive - I think I paid $120 per tire installed and they came with a free 3 yr replacement warranty. They even switched over my TPM for free, too and gave me boxes to ship my old wheels and tires to their new owner in. I honestly was between getting the Bridgestone all seasons and the Toyos. The Bridgestones needed to be ordered and they didn't want to do a test fit (I went with a 45 aspect ratio on my xi). The toyo dealer had them in stock and was eager to test fit (because he had both the 40 and 45 aspect ratios in stock).

There is also the Toyo Proxes4 which is more performance oriented too, if you want a more performance oriented all season.

Mark
Old 01-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='778835' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks, Mark! Yes, I am going to check out the toyos I knew I was forgetting something haha
But I want the tires to be pretty sporty, so I'll probably look at the proxy4's.

So far, it seems it is between the toyos, the 960s (although I'm tempted to go for the stiffer sidewalk of the summer 760s, but New York weather - Im simply scared of the occasional snow) and the yokohamas. The yokos have some reviews that dis it's snow/ice performance totally on tirerack. But sometimes I attribute those more to driving skills ;-)
The generals are actually rated M+S, too. I don't know how sporty they are though. I've never had them.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

On my 06 330, I took off the run flats and installed non-run flat Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions.

BEST THING I EVER DID.

Plan to do the same thing on my 535 when the Dunflops give out.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Those are definitely at the top of my list! But the Yokos are also very attractive AND they are lighter, though only by one pound each. But that can make a diff in unsprung weight

Originally Posted by wantmye90' post='779234' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:21 AM
On my 06 330, I took off the run flats and installed non-run flat Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions.

BEST THING I EVER DID.

Plan to do the same thing on my 535 when the Dunflops give out.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='778247' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:19 AM
The only last question that I'd like to know the answer to is whether the RFTs provide greater protection against bending/cracking the rims? Obviously, I don't mean the times when there's no pressure in the tire - just the normal driving situations, when tires are properly inflated and wheels balanced, etc etc.
I doubt the RFTs provide greater protection against bending/cracking the rims. On the other hand, I believe the opposite is true. Recently I have to replace one of my rims because there were cracks in many places and my tires are the Bridgestone Potensa RFTs. I suspect the stiffer sidewall for the RFTs is probably the cause because it can transfer greater shocks onto the rims. For those who have switched from RFTs to non-RFTs, do you see a difference in the reliability of the rims? I'm also considering to switch my tires but would like to have more than just comfort alone to justify for the costs...
Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by LW78' post='778253' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:28 AM
Go with ANY tire non-RFT
+1.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Contributors

YEAH, DUDE, YEAH!!! You read my mind, I just wanted to see if anyone else felt this way - hence my reverse-psych question - twisted huh? yeah, I am... but that's a diff story

anyway, you know what, whatever I do, I'l definitely go with non-rft!!! Definitely! Especially, if you get road hazard plan, the non-rft won't be too much bother.

But this still leaves me yearning for some e60 drivers' report on the Yokohamas - are they just too cheap for e60 guys? Or is it just that they are not really entusiast's tires? I mean, I'd rather save an extra 200 and get the yokohamas vs the 960s. Plus, I'm not really trusting when it comes to Bridgestones anymore...

Originally Posted by svca550i' post='779326' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:10 AM
I doubt the RFTs provide greater protection against bending/cracking the rims. On the other hand, I believe the opposite is true. Recently I have to replace one of my rims because there were cracks in many places and my tires are the Bridgestone Potensa RFTs. I suspect the stiffer sidewall for the RFTs is probably the cause because it can transfer greater shocks onto the rims. For those who have switched from RFTs to non-RFTs, do you see a difference in the reliability of the rims? I'm also considering to switch my tires but would like to have more than just comfort alone to justify for the costs...

Quick Reply: "Daddy needs new shoes" aka the extra 600 - worth it or wors