E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DAB radio problem (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 01:20 PM
New Members

I've just bought a Jul 2008 built E61 535d in the UK (so an LCI car with CCC), and all is good apart from the factory-fit DAB radio.

Whatever I do and wherever I go, the DAB menu says "No Signal". Autostore does nothing and manual selection has nothing to select - it just says No Signal. It's been back to the dealer and they seem to be struggling. They've run their diagnostics and all they have come back with is a service bulletin released recently saying that DAB in all pre-2010 cars will no longer work, as digital radio broadcasts have moved onto DAB+, which the tuner doesn't support. I'm certain that broadcasts are still DAB, not DAB+, but it would be a comfort in arguing this if someone else in the UK with the factory CCC DAB setup in their car could tell me theirs is definitely still working.

Cheers,
Andy.
Old 02-18-2012 | 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I don't think that UK is on DAB+ yet and there are no immediate plans to move to it too. Many countries in the EU have done it but not UK.
Old 02-18-2012 | 02:18 PM
Senior Members

I've got dab in my car and it was working fine a few months ago but I've not tried it since then as I've been playing music off my USB stick. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know.
Old 02-18-2012 | 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by supersix
I've just bought a Jul 2008 built E61 535d in the UK (so an LCI car with CCC), and all is good apart from the factory-fit DAB radio.

Whatever I do and wherever I go, the DAB menu says "No Signal". Autostore does nothing and manual selection has nothing to select - it just says No Signal. It's been back to the dealer and they seem to be struggling. They've run their diagnostics and all they have come back with is a service bulletin released recently saying that DAB in all pre-2010 cars will no longer work, as digital radio broadcasts have moved onto DAB+, which the tuner doesn't support. I'm certain that broadcasts are still DAB, not DAB+, but it would be a comfort in arguing this if someone else in the UK with the factory CCC DAB setup in their car could tell me theirs is definitely still working.

Cheers,
Andy.
I had mine on this evening (saturday) and its working fine, dunno what bullshit they fed you at your dealership.
Old 02-18-2012 | 11:43 PM
New Members

Thanks chaps. I was pretty damn sure that dab+ wasn't here. The dealer ran his diagnostics on the system which came back clear, but there was this message about a service bulletin that came back with the results so I think they were just clutching at straws. They've sent a request for help back to BMW, but being able to assert that it's just this car affected is really helpful. Cheers
Old 02-19-2012 | 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

DAB in the UK uses the rear screen aerial. And that uses a amplifier similar to the diversity amplifier. It could be that there is no contact being made with the rear screen or the amp is gone. Or something as simple as the plug of the aerial gotten loose.

You may want to buy a new decent external dab aerial and plug that into the dab module to test