E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cylinder 6 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 12:14 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54
Default Cylinder 6 misfire

I recently just bought my 2008 535xi and did a much needed oil change and decided to do the spark plugs while i was at it. I drove to work perfectly fine the next day then went to go home and it threw a code for a cylinder 6 misfire and was running extremely rough until it warmed up. I double checked the spark plug and even replaced the coil and it seemed to be fine, so I went to work the next day and went to go home, and the same thing happened. It's still throwing the same code I'm just not sure what could be at this point, any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

What brand plugs did you put in and coil. Then I would check for vacuum leaks.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by katyadms_
I recently just bought my 2008 535xi and did a much needed oil change and decided to do the spark plugs while i was at it. I drove to work perfectly fine the next day then went to go home and it threw a code for a cylinder 6 misfire and was running extremely rough until it warmed up. I double checked the spark plug and even replaced the coil and it seemed to be fine, so I went to work the next day and went to go home, and the same thing happened. It's still throwing the same code I'm just not sure what could be at this point, any help would be much appreciated.
+1 @seanjordan20

That happened to me on cylinder 5 after installing new plugs, I ended up having to just re-seat the coil connector.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:51 AM
New Members

I might try that thank you
Old 12-15-2023, 06:53 AM
New Members

I used champion iridium plugs and duralast coils, neither would have been my first choice but i was in a crunch and that’s all that was available
Old 12-15-2023, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

I'll tell you a little story. I had a friend who was having 2 misfires and he was trying to figure it out for a couple months. He had new champion plugs and some cheap coils from the local parts store installed (old plugs champions) and the car still ran like crap. He brought it to me when he found out I work on foreign cars. First thing I did was pull the plugs and saw they were champions. I told him I don't troubleshoot foreign cars with cheap coils and plugs installed and told him to go buy all OEM (of course I told him what parts to get and where to get them from). He came back with the parts and I installed them for him. Guess what, all his issues were gone even the ones they didn't think pointed to the cylinders. I would advise you to start with a good baseline before going in circles. I know these cars are old but it's still a BMW and they are sensitive to what's installed. You just waist money buying parts that don't work in these engines. I understand you were in a crunch but they do sell OEM parts locally and if you can't afford them there's usually a junk yard where you can find at least coils for cheap.

I would advise you to find someone who knows how to troubleshoot these engines to assist with a smoke test to make sure there's no vacuum leak and ensure the coils are clipped in correctly. Also if you are using 89 gas change it to 92/93 whatever you have locally. You have a very basic issue which should be fixed easily.
The following users liked this post:
gman6262 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 07:18 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I'll tell you a little story. I had a friend who was having 2 misfires and he was trying to figure it out for a couple months. He had new champion plugs and some cheap coils from the local parts store installed (old plugs champions) and the car still ran like crap. He brought it to me when he found out I work on foreign cars. First thing I did was pull the plugs and saw they were champions. I told him I don't troubleshoot foreign cars with cheap coils and plugs installed and told him to go buy all OEM (of course I told him what parts to get and where to get them from). He came back with the parts and I installed them for him. Guess what, all his issues were gone even the ones they didn't think pointed to the cylinders. I would advise you to start with a good baseline before going in circles. I know these cars are old but it's still a BMW and they are sensitive to what's installed. You just waist money buying parts that don't work in these engines. I understand you were in a crunch but they do sell OEM parts locally and if you can't afford them there's usually a junk yard where you can find at least coils for cheap.

I would advise you to find someone who knows how to troubleshoot these engines to assist with a smoke test to make sure there's no vacuum leak and ensure the coils are clipped in correctly. Also if you are using 89 gas change it to 92/93 whatever you have locally. You have a very basic issue which should be fixed easily.
So what plugs/coils would you suggest? I really do want to treat this car correctly, unfortunately I’ve only ever owned american trucks up until this point so my knowledge of german cars is extremely limited and any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

NGK plugs, Bosch coils.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Buy on RockAuto to save some money. Locally will be over priced