E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tab545' date='Dec 6 2004, 05:27 AM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Dec 5 2004, 08:38 PM']fuenfer, sorry to hear your story :'(.? i don't like valet at all .? they don't care what kind of car you have.? for them, it's a joy ride .
[snapback]65245[/snapback]
The good news about having a sweet ride, as all of us do, is something you will notice at nice restaurants. They like to look cool by having the hottest cars parked out front. Ever notice the Porsches, Bentleys, Benzes, Range Rovers, and BMWs out front of those nice restaurants? Trust me, those aren't just average cars, those are the best cars. Twice recently in Chicago, the valet guys left my (freshly washed) 545 right in front. The advantage is that they don't really drive it much of anywhere. They just reposition it right in front to show off. The advantage is that they don't find some ratty sidestreet to park it on, with much less opportunity for parking dings and curb rash!

So I agree valet parking is annoying, but, depending on the location and how hot your car looks, you have a shot at special treatment!
[snapback]65447[/snapback]
[/quote]
i know what you mean. but in here, if there is that much space in front of a restaurant, they'd rather convert it to some parking stalls or expand it so that they can get some more customers in. even the best restaurant in here (in a five-diamond hotel, one of the best in the world), they still park your car somewhere that is out of your sight .
Old 12-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Money talks, if you tip the guy who parks your car a couple of bucks i'm sure he'll appreciate it.

When you return give the guy who brings your car around a buck that's three bucks total. They'll like you for sure.

However when i had my TL parked at a garage in Downtown Brooklyn for the 1st time i tipped the guy 2 bucks and when i returned there was a deep screw mark in my rear bumper anyway!

I was given a claim form to fill out, but man what a royal pain!

A letter arrived about a month later stating i could have the repair done at a shop of my choice and get reimbursed.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

well, i know what you mean. but unfortunately, couple bucks is definitely not enough in here .
Old 12-31-2004, 01:28 PM
Members

Having a car in a big city can be torture. Vandalism, parking lot/garage attendants and knuckleheads have taken their toll on my car here in Chicago.

Shortly after finding curb rash on my right tire and a huge paint gash on my right front fender I immediately returned to the parking garage (I had just washed it the day before and it was only two months old) where they took some pics and filled out an incident report. Three months later I received a form letter stating that because I had already left the garage they were not liable. Lesson: always check your car before and after you leave it with an attendant and have him take note of its pristine state. A few months later I went for dinner downtown and the attendant complimented me on the car and asked if I wanted it parked upfront....for an extra $25. I declined. Should have listened. They park the cars on an unattended open lot two blocks away. When we finished dinner my driver side window was smashed and my coat/briefcase were stolen. (I was reimbursed for everything that was stolen and window replacement) Finally, I tend to park far away from other cars to avoid door dings. So instead someone figures they'd drive up to my car and key the doors!!

I guess people will always see our cars as targets. I worry now everytime i go out.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ray S' date='Dec 31 2004, 06:28 PM
Having a car in a big city can be torture.? Vandalism, parking lot/garage attendants and knuckleheads have taken their toll on my car here in Chicago.

Shortly after finding curb rash on my right tire and a huge paint gash on my right front fender I immediately returned to the parking garage (I had just washed it the day before and it was only two months old) where they took some pics and filled out an incident report.? Three months later I received a form letter stating that because I had already left the garage they were not liable.? Lesson:? always check your car before and after you leave it with an attendant and have him take note of its pristine state.? A few months later I went for dinner downtown and the attendant complimented me on the car and asked if I wanted it parked upfront....for an extra $25.? I declined.? Should have listened.? They park the cars on an unattended open lot two blocks away. When we finished dinner my driver side window was smashed and my coat/briefcase were stolen.? (I was reimbursed for everything that was stolen and window replacement) Finally, I tend to park far away from other cars to avoid door dings.? So instead someone figures they'd drive up to my car and key the doors!!

I guess people will always see our cars as targets.? I worry now everytime i go out.
[snapback]74218[/snapback]

Hi Ray:

I know what you mean about parking lots, and valet parking lots, (That I choose not to use). I live in the Atlanta GA area, and yes we have our share of jealous Idiots for BMW, Corvettes, etc cars down here too, (LOL).

What I always try to do is pick me out an end parking place, way out in the parking lot, and I then back in my 530i by my RT spot mirror, (my mirrors are adjusted downward, from my driver #2 on my drivers seat control), which enables me to come with 2 to 3 inch's from the curb, so I figure it would take an pitching ace like a Randy Johnson or a Tom Glavine aiming to hit and ding my doors!

So far this strategy has worked for me! I do get a lot of strange looks from people, but I really do not care, because they don't make our high $$$$ BMW bank payments $$$$ for us either, (but I wished they did! LOL).

Eddie Presley aka Presley 348
Old 01-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ray S' date='Dec 31 2004, 04:28 PM

I guess people will always see our cars as targets.? I worry now everytime i go out.
[snapback]74218[/snapback]
Ray, I know, so well, exactly what you mean. I worry everytime, too. : It's a testament to how screwed up some people are that we have to worry about door dings, keyings, hit-and-runs, etc. The really funny thing is, it's not even about luxury cars that people see as "targets." Most of my friends aren't into cars (I live near NYC) and own pretty "normal" sedans, cars like Civics, Accords, Proteges, etc., and they still get keyed/dinged/etc. Then again, it hurts less for them. One day my brother came out to his parking lot and saw that someone had keyed his 6-year old Accord. He took one look at it, said "did they think I was going to care?" and he's left it untouched. Since then, garage attendants at his monthly parking garage have managed to put in scratches on the roof of his car. They sure can be creative!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

scratches on the roof ? they are out of space and stacking up cars ? did your brother ask them what happened ?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jan 1 2005, 04:35 PM
scratches on the roof ?? they are out of space and stacking up cars ?? did your brother ask them what happened ?
[snapback]74445[/snapback]
It's like three gashes on top of the roof. My brother has gotten beyond caring, so he simply just shrugged it off. He's considering getting a new car (been doing this off and on for the past year) and I'm planning on buying that Accord off of him for the very reason that's making him equivocal about selling it -- that I'd have a beater that I simply wouldn't care about. He doesn't want to part with it because if he gets a new car, he'll have to worry about it as much as I worry about my neue fuenfer.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

just let him keep the accord and you enjoy your e60 .
Old 01-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Members

It's a testament to how screwed up some people are that we have to worry about door dings, keyings, hit-and-runs, etc. The really funny thing is, it's not even about luxury cars that people see as "targets."
I know what you mean. My 11 year old Acura Integra took quite a beating as well.

It's just more painful when your car is new and more $$$ to maintain/repair.

Quick Reply: Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!