E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a really bad rash on my front left rim.....dammit.
That sickening grinding noise..followed by expletives lol.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Dec 5 2004, 09:43 PM
If you're handy (and a bit brave) you can try the NASA technique ...wheel repair
[snapback]65301[/snapback]
Gizmo:

Since I was planning on paying some $$ to have it repaired, anyway, I might as well give this technique a go. Thanks for the link!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

My dealer has a guy who uses an air brush to touch up rims.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Members

subterFUSE Posted Yesterday, 09:09 PM
? Moral of the story. Don't own a car in New York city.
Owning a car there is like having another kid.

Hmmmm- I guess I have two kids then. They are both wonderfully behaved German kids. One is 4 yrs.old, my other is about 6 months- but incredibly advanced for her age. (Makes the four year old look like a dumb-dumb). Sorry I couldn't resist. But for what I pay for 2 parking spots in my building, and various garages around town per month...I guess that could probably equate to the cost of rearing children.

fuenfer: I agree. It most certainly happened at the garage. I also agree there is no use arguing the matter with them.I'm sure you'll get nowhere fast. But truth be told....it still sucks. Always a bummer when someone else does something damaging to your car. At least when you do it yourself , there is only one person to blame.
However. do you belong to the local NYC chapter of the BMWCCA?? In the mailer they send you, there are always some advertisements from local shops that cater to BMW's....sometimes giving you a special price if you are a BMWCCA member. I think there is a place in Flushing that is primarily a bodyshop - but I do believe they fix curb rash on rims for a fairly reasonable price. Look it up in the bulletins if you belong(it's usually a pretty big ad).....or if you don't belong PM me and I'll look the place up for you. I have never been there myself, but have heard good things in regard to there prices and quality of services. I'm sure you can get a quote over the phone at the very least.

Another bit of advice....whenever I park at a garage that I don't park at often- or that may seem a bit shady or the cars are parked very tight. I just immediately give the attendant five bucks- tell them to take extra special care of it- park it up front, and that if all goes well- I'll give them a nice tip when I pick it up. This usually always works for me. Can be costly- considering what you are paying to begin with. In the end, it's cheaper than having to take the car to the bodyshop, or in your case getting your pristine rims all chewed up. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the fix however you go about it.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Dec 5 2004, 08:38 PM
fuenfer, sorry to hear your story :'(.? i don't like valet at all .? they don't care what kind of car you have.? for them, it's a joy ride .
[snapback]65245[/snapback]
The good news about having a sweet ride, as all of us do, is something you will notice at nice restaurants. They like to look cool by having the hottest cars parked out front. Ever notice the Porsches, Bentleys, Benzes, Range Rovers, and BMWs out front of those nice restaurants? Trust me, those aren't just average cars, those are the best cars. Twice recently in Chicago, the valet guys left my (freshly washed) 545 right in front. The advantage is that they don't really drive it much of anywhere. They just reposition it right in front to show off. The advantage is that they don't find some ratty sidestreet to park it on, with much less opportunity for parking dings and curb rash!

So I agree valet parking is annoying, but, depending on the location and how hot your car looks, you have a shot at special treatment!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by twinzor1' date='Dec 5 2004, 10:15 PM
Fuenfer
I'm amazed that a Manhattan garage attendant caused curb rash;? I'd expect just about any other malady, but that's one i haven't seen delivered via an indoor garage.? I'm not sure where you work/live, but in midtown I use the self-park at 42nd and 9th (wide spaces, easy access to Hudson Pkwy,) or a number of self-parks near Battery City.? There is also a 24hr self-park off Delancey (Essex.)? If you must park in Manhattan and render your car to an attendant, i would a) use a surface lot (no chance for curb rash, no inclines or turns,) b) garage with a flush-to-the-street wide entry/exitway, with no incline.? The attendants will always have trouble with your Active Steering regardless of how often they've driven it before; after parking large numbers of cars during their shift it'll always feel strange to them.? Also, if you have a stick they may ask you to take your business elsewhere (and you should bless them.)? If you do drop it off, walk them around the car and point out its (lack of) flaws, and get the attendant's name.? (This pisses them off, by the way.)? But it does make them take notice.
[snapback]65305[/snapback]
Twinzor1:

I appreciate your advice on parking garages -- I thought I'd really thought through all the possibilities, but you've definitely considered this at a higher level than I.

Your mentioning surface lots brought a smile to my face. During the first month of owning my car, I parked at one. You'd think it'd be difficult to screw up a car when a) it's on a surface lot and b) all they'd have to do was to move the car 20-30 feet or so. Well, turns out they decided to leave my keys in the car. And then leave the front windows open (on both sides) -- which was later expained as being standard procedure in case the cars autolocked. And when it started to rain, the attendant figured he'd close all the windows on all the cars -- but forgot to close my passenger side window. I arrived to find a wet passenger seat, and an apologetic attendant. We spent the next five minutes cleaning out my car, which was sort of funny given that I'd just been at client-site and was dressed to the nines, but on my knees, soaking up water from the kickpanel area with paper towels, with the rain drizzling over us. The attendant was a good guy, and very apologetic, so I reassured him that it was all right. Rare to find a parking guy like that in the city.

This is why I should always, always wake up early and avoid taking the car into the city!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW_NYC' date='Dec 6 2004, 02:27 AM
subterFUSE Posted Yesterday, 09:09 PM
? Moral of the story. Don't own a car in New York city.
Owning a car there is like having another kid.

Hmmmm- I guess I have two kids then. They are both wonderfully behaved German kids. One is 4 yrs.old, my other is about 6 months- but incredibly advanced for her age. (Makes the four year old look like a dumb-dumb).? Sorry I couldn't resist. But for what I pay for 2 parking spots in my building, and various garages around town per month...I guess that could probably equate to the cost of rearing children.

fuenfer: I agree. It most certainly happened at the garage. I also agree there is no use arguing the matter with them.I'm sure you'll get nowhere fast. But truth be told....it still sucks. Always a bummer when someone else does something damaging to your car. At least when you do it yourself , there is only one person to blame.
? However. do you belong to the local NYC chapter of the BMWCCA?? In the mailer they send you, there are always some advertisements from local shops that cater to BMW's....sometimes giving you a special price if you are a BMWCCA member. I think there is a place in Flushing that is primarily a bodyshop - but I do believe they fix curb rash on rims for a fairly reasonable price. Look it up in the bulletins if you belong(it's usually a pretty big ad).....or if you don't belong PM me and I'll look the place up for you. I have never been there myself, but have heard good things in regard to there prices and quality of services. I'm sure you can get a quote over the phone at the very least.

Another bit of advice....whenever I park at a garage that I don't park at often- or that may seem a bit shady or the cars are parked very tight. I just immediately give the attendant five bucks- tell them to take extra special care of it- park it up front, and that if all goes well- I'll give them a nice tip when I pick it up. This usually always works for me. Can be costly- considering what you are paying to begin with.? In the end, it's cheaper than having to take the car to the bodyshop, or in your case getting your pristine rims all chewed up. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the fix however you go about it.
[snapback]65354[/snapback]
As part of the bridge & tunnel crowd, I'm with the NJ chapter of BMWCCA, so I'd appreciate it if you could send me some information about these shops. I'll send you a PM regarding that, too.

And your post hit the nail on the head -- it sucks when you damage your own car but you have only yourself to blame, and somehow, it doesn't hurt nearly as much. It's when someone else does it to my car that it drives me nuts! As for arguing with the garage, I agree that there's no point. I've seen garage attendants scratch bumpers and side-view mirror housings right in front of the owner and then deny blatantly that they did anything. Unbelievable.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fuenfer' date='Dec 5 2004, 06:28 PM
So last night, I was washing my car when I noticed that my two wheels on the right side of my 545i had developed some "curb rash."? Now, the last time I'd washed my car was last Sunday, when I'd actually Rejexed the wheels, and my wheels had been pristine at the time.? Thinking back, I realized that since then, I'd driven my car only once, into work (Manhattan), as I'd been running late that day.? However, I couldn't think of any time when I'd actually curbed my wheels, try as I might -- usually, curbing wheels, in my experience, involves a nice crunching noise as well as me blowing my top for having messed up my rims -- I couldn't remember being that angry during the past week.? ?? I think the likeliest way that this happened was by the garage attendants at the Manhattan parking garage -- and though I usually check my car before and after I drop off the car, I was in a major rush that evening and did only a cursory check on the car when I got it back.?

So two points -- always, always, always, check every last detail on your car before dropping off or picking up a car from these Manhattan garage attendants.? It's amazing how they treat cars.? ? Unfortunately, in this case, I only suspect that they did it -- so I'm not even bothering to bring it up with the garage -- but I've had some friends fight with garages to get parts fixed, and have even taken them to small claims court.?

Second, does anyone know of a good DIY method for fixing curb rash?? Or is this one better left to the professionals?? Any good recommendations for a place in the tri-state area that can repair this?? Everytime I see this, it makes me furious -- curbing my own wheels is one thing, but to have someone else do it ... *shake head*.
[snapback]65139[/snapback]
================================================== ===
I have a E60 530i and I do cherish mine as well! I am sorry to hear about you curb rash, on your new Bimmer, and trying to fix them like new!

I would not attempt it myself, but there is a wheel company that repairs our Bimmer wheels, the name of it is: "The Wheel Exchange" and I will give you their link and a contact person: http://thewheelexchange.com/, be sure to talk to a Nathan Williams, and tell him I sent you from the E60 BMW Forum. I just bought a set of 18inch BMW Parallel M wheels from him last week at an excellent price, (SEE PIC BELOW).

I wish you the best!

Sincerely,

Presley348 = Georgia

PS: My Email is: Presley348@aol.com and be sure to let me know how things turn out on the repair!

Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!-e._presley_2004_bmw_530i_005.jpg
Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!-e._presley_2004_bmw_530i_009.jpg
Old 12-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Dec 6 2004, 12:19 PM
[quote name='fuenfer' date='Dec 5 2004, 06:28 PM']So last night, I was washing my car when I noticed that my two wheels on the right side of my 545i had developed some "curb rash."? Now, the last time I'd washed my car was last Sunday, when I'd actually Rejexed the wheels, and my wheels had been pristine at the time.? Thinking back, I realized that since then, I'd driven my car only once, into work (Manhattan), as I'd been running late that day.? However, I couldn't think of any time when I'd actually curbed my wheels, try as I might -- usually, curbing wheels, in my experience, involves a nice crunching noise as well as me blowing my top for having messed up my rims -- I couldn't remember being that angry during the past week.? ?? I think the likeliest way that this happened was by the garage attendants at the Manhattan parking garage -- and though I usually check my car before and after I drop off the car, I was in a major rush that evening and did only a cursory check on the car when I got it back.?

So two points -- always, always, always, check every last detail on your car before dropping off or picking up a car from these Manhattan garage attendants.? It's amazing how they treat cars.? ? Unfortunately, in this case, I only suspect that they did it -- so I'm not even bothering to bring it up with the garage -- but I've had some friends fight with garages to get parts fixed, and have even taken them to small claims court.?

Second, does anyone know of a good DIY method for fixing curb rash?? Or is this one better left to the professionals?? Any good recommendations for a place in the tri-state area that can repair this?? Everytime I see this, it makes me furious -- curbing my own wheels is one thing, but to have someone else do it ... *shake head*.
[snapback]65139[/snapback]
================================================== ===
I have a E60 530i and I do cherish mine as well! I am sorry to hear about you curb rash, on your new Bimmer, and trying to fix them like new!

I would not attempt it myself, but there is a wheel company that repairs our Bimmer wheels, the name of it is: "The Wheel Exchange" and I will give you their link and a contact person: http://thewheelexchange.com/, be sure to talk to a Nathan Williams, and tell him I sent you from the E60 BMW Forum. I just bought a set of 18inch BMW Parallel M wheels from him last week at an excellent price, (SEE PIC BELOW).

I wish you the best!

Sincerely,

Presley348 = Georgia

PS: My Email is: Presley348@aol.com and be sure to let me know how things turn out on the repair!

Attachment 3855
Attachment 3856
[snapback]65538[/snapback]
[/quote]

Presley, I like the floor of your garage. It looks cleaner than my kitchen floor!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tab545' date='Dec 6 2004, 10:27 AM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Dec 5 2004, 08:38 PM']fuenfer, sorry to hear your story :'(.? i don't like valet at all .? they don't care what kind of car you have.? for them, it's a joy ride .
[snapback]65245[/snapback]
The good news about having a sweet ride, as all of us do, is something you will notice at nice restaurants. They like to look cool by having the hottest cars parked out front. Ever notice the Porsches, Bentleys, Benzes, Range Rovers, and BMWs out front of those nice restaurants? Trust me, those aren't just average cars, those are the best cars. Twice recently in Chicago, the valet guys left my (freshly washed) 545 right in front. The advantage is that they don't really drive it much of anywhere. They just reposition it right in front to show off. The advantage is that they don't find some ratty sidestreet to park it on, with much less opportunity for parking dings and curb rash!

So I agree valet parking is annoying, but, depending on the location and how hot your car looks, you have a shot at special treatment!
[snapback]65447[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is true, but I had my two right rims curbed by valets at these 'Nice' restaurants. My car was parked up in front, right side against the curb! I didn't notice it until I got back in town and was washing my car. The active steering throws the valets off, I think.....

Quick Reply: Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!