E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So last night, I was washing my car when I noticed that my two wheels on the right side of my 545i had developed some "curb rash." Now, the last time I'd washed my car was last Sunday, when I'd actually Rejexed the wheels, and my wheels had been pristine at the time. Thinking back, I realized that since then, I'd driven my car only once, into work (Manhattan), as I'd been running late that day. However, I couldn't think of any time when I'd actually curbed my wheels, try as I might -- usually, curbing wheels, in my experience, involves a nice crunching noise as well as me blowing my top for having messed up my rims -- I couldn't remember being that angry during the past week. I think the likeliest way that this happened was by the garage attendants at the Manhattan parking garage -- and though I usually check my car before and after I drop off the car, I was in a major rush that evening and did only a cursory check on the car when I got it back.

So two points -- always, always, always, check every last detail on your car before dropping off or picking up a car from these Manhattan garage attendants. It's amazing how they treat cars. Unfortunately, in this case, I only suspect that they did it -- so I'm not even bothering to bring it up with the garage -- but I've had some friends fight with garages to get parts fixed, and have even taken them to small claims court.

Second, does anyone know of a good DIY method for fixing curb rash? Or is this one better left to the professionals? Any good recommendations for a place in the tri-state area that can repair this? Everytime I see this, it makes me furious -- curbing my own wheels is one thing, but to have someone else do it ... *shake head*.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

Probably the attendants then, or do you have a wife? And does she drive your car?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by maylander739' date='Dec 5 2004, 04:33 PM
Probably the attendants then, or do you have a wife?? And does she drive your car? ?
[snapback]65142[/snapback]
No wife, yet, though the girlfriend and I are getting pretty serious. Thankfully, though, she knows how much I cherish the 5er and doesn't even bother to ask to drive my steed.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Members

sorry to hear that..i feel your pain. although mine was self-induced parking at a skeet range, miscalculated the curb and there was this grinding sound and as soon as i realized what i've done immediately stopped and investigated how much damage i've done. in any case, i'd recommend professional work on this concern. i took mine at a local wheel repair shop and for $75 my right front hartge classic was back to it's original looks. can't describe the process as they wouldn't let me in. good luck!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Griots sells wheel repair paint. I have never tried it, but their other products are good (expensive, but good).
Old 12-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by robg' date='Dec 5 2004, 05:21 PM
Griots sells wheel repair paint.? I have never tried it, but their other products are good (expensive, but good).
[snapback]65158[/snapback]
Thanks! I'll give that a shot!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

fuenfer, sorry to hear your story :'(. i don't like valet at all . they don't care what kind of car you have. for them, it's a joy ride .
Old 12-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Moral of the story. Don't own a car in New York city.

Owning a car there is like having another kid.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

If you're handy (and a bit brave) you can try the NASA technique ...wheel repair
Old 12-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Members

Fuenfer
I'm amazed that a Manhattan garage attendant caused curb rash; I'd expect just about any other malady, but that's one i haven't seen delivered via an indoor garage. I'm not sure where you work/live, but in midtown I use the self-park at 42nd and 9th (wide spaces, easy access to Hudson Pkwy,) or a number of self-parks near Battery City. There is also a 24hr self-park off Delancey (Essex.) If you must park in Manhattan and render your car to an attendant, i would a) use a surface lot (no chance for curb rash, no inclines or turns,) b) garage with a flush-to-the-street wide entry/exitway, with no incline. The attendants will always have trouble with your Active Steering regardless of how often they've driven it before; after parking large numbers of cars during their shift it'll always feel strange to them. Also, if you have a stick they may ask you to take your business elsewhere (and you should bless them.) If you do drop it off, walk them around the car and point out its (lack of) flaws, and get the attendant's name. (This pisses them off, by the way.) But it does make them take notice.

Quick Reply: Curb rash on two wheels -- argh!