E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick comment: the cruise control (basic, not advanced) is by far the best i've ever had the pleasure of using... the soft flic-1mph and full-flic to next unit of 5, combined with the manner in which the car responds is very fine...

yesterday i covered about 20 miles of motorway playing with it, only needed to brake twice in heavier traffic but the rest of the time i drove by the little cruise control lever only - more-than adequate engine braking and responsive acceleration in typical early-afternoon motorway conditions (on the m40, oxford towards the m25)... while i doubt i'll drive that way regularly it does have its place and it's nice to know that it works well enough to do so...
Old 04-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Agree 100%

Having had many cars with cruise, the E60 is by far the most intuitive and I love the little marker that shoots up round the speedo when its set. I cannot see how the adaptive system can beat it other than on a long straight road (of which there are few here in scotland!)
Old 04-27-2004, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Interesting that, I'm not getting on that well with mine (it's OK, not brilliant - had a better experience with my old merc).

I am find 2 things:

1) Sometimes when travelling at a speed not far below the desired cruise speed, re-engaging cruise causes the transmission to "thump" into an inappropriate lower gear, to make up just3 or 4 mph.

2) If I am going downhill and the speed creeps over the set cruise speed, I am getting absolutely ZERO engine braking. The merc used to go down a gear to maintain the correct mph.

Weird eh? Maybe a s/w update is required.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Members

I find it kicks down a lot to make up 5 mile segments which is a pity on the diesel, must agree though it is a very good system and the only one I've been able to make work when in traffic if I want to.

PS Let us know how you get on at the garage today Skidster
Old 04-27-2004, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

the adaptive would be great for use with medium-weight motorway traffic - i wish i had it...

funny with the cruise: my little 2.2l auto doesn't seem to work so hard when it pops a gear up or down...

just dropped my car off: my loaner is a 520i manual and, though i did test drive it, it seems far more peppy than my auto - maybe i am playing a little more with it (and in truth i;ve done very little steptronic-wise driving/shifting but certainly will now:

but i miss the nav already: hotel tomorrow night i've not been to before and i'll have to actually find my way... how uncivilised! :-) just hope the s/w update does something for me