E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cruise Control for 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets say you are driving with cruise control set to 80 mph and you're on sixth gear.
What would happen if you down shift to fifth gear? I would assume the cruise control will cancel itself. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Members

CC is canceled when you depress the clutch on my '06 550i.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Hi Soliterry,

Well, I confirm I'm talking about an EU E60 manual gear : Pre LCI, it will.
LCI, it won't (just for gear change. If you depress the clutch pedal for longer or if you hit the brakes, it will aswell).
Now, as far as the law is concerned, it might be some differences for US cars (different reglementations maybe).

Cheers.

Etienne
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by soliterry' post='771567' date='Jan 19 2009, 05:01 PM
Lets say you are driving with cruise control set to 80 mph and you're on sixth gear.
What would happen if you down shift to fifth gear? I would assume the cruise control will cancel itself. Can anyone confirm this?
On every car I have ever owned or driven, CC has cancelled when pressing the clutch (same as when pressing the brake).

However, on my BMW (LCI 525d M Sport - 6sp manual) it does NOT cancel when pressing the clutch (but obviously does when pressing the brake). By not cancelling I mean to allow gear changes - if the clutch is depressed for any length of time I believe it does cancel. Also for clarity, when changing gear whilst CC is set, the engine revs do drop to idle and when the clutch is re-engage CC continues to maintain the set speed.

At first this seemed very strange and I didn't like it. However, as I have got more used to it, I actually like this concept now, because in certain situations this can become useful.

Think this may be different for pre-LCI cars though - seem to remember seeing a thread / posting referring to this in the past!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='771572' date='Jan 19 2009, 06:15 PM
On every car I have ever owned or driven, CC has cancelled when pressing the clutch (same as when pressing the brake).

However, on my BMW (LCI 525d M Sport - 6sp manual) it does NOT cancel when pressing the clutch (but obviously does when pressing the brake). By not cancelling I mean to allow gear changes - if the clutch is depressed for any length of time I believe it does cancel. Also for clarity, when changing gear whilst CC is set, the engine revs do drop to idle and when the clutch is re-engage CC continues to maintain the set speed.

At first this seemed very strange and I didn't like it. However, as I have got more used to it, I actually like this concept now, because in certain situations this can become useful.

Think this may be different for pre-LCI cars though - seem to remember seeing a thread / posting referring to this in the past!
my 520d LCI behaves like the pre-LCIs. I have the 'inbetween' version of the 520d LCI, that was produced between March and September 2007 (old engine, new style elements). That's probably the reason why mine behaves like the pre-LCIs.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

In the LCI it performs a perfect rev match with CC on when shifting gears.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by ObD' post='771633' date='Jan 19 2009, 07:18 PM
In the LCI it performs a perfect rev match with CC on when shifting gears.
On mine, I would say that the revs drop 'slowly', so if a gear change is made quickly, then the revs barely have time to drop - however, if you take your time, the revs drop to idle until the clutch is re-engaged.

To be honest, it's not something I use all that often, but as I said before - it can be useful in the right circumstances.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
ADD
Senior Members

I have a 6/08 build, and my revs do not drop.

The CC does not cancel upon clutch engagement.

Try this for you LCI folks... Get the car up to cruising speed, set CC, press clutch and go to neutral and let the clutch back out, (coast).

The first time I did that, the car revved to 5-6k rpms before the CC cancelled itself.