E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crosswinds

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

I don't know if i'm imagining things or what but my 535i sport is fantastic in crosswinds. you barely feel the wind.
I don't know if it's the LCI suspension, or the sport package or the Run flats but it's definitely much, much better.

With my previous e60, a non-sport 525i, I was all over the road trying to keep it in line.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by juventus' post='494690' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:57 PM
I don't know if i'm imagining things or what but my 535i sport is fantastic in crosswinds. you barely feel the wind.
I don't know if it's the LCI suspension, or the sport package or the Run flats but it's definitely much, much better.
With my previous e60, a non-sport 525i, I was all over the road trying to keep it in line.
My both non-LCI's have not been good in hard crosswinds.

I hope it's not the Sportpackage
Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

Sport package has a lot to do with it-primarly the ARS which basically senses any body sway which happens big time and in return tightens your sway bars way up so you are really rigid and no longer get blown left and right-love that ars!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Agreed - this is E60 number 3, but first sport version. Cross winds have much less effect. I drove my wife's X5 the other day in strong winds (non sport) and ARGH I felt I was going to get blown off the road!!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

My 535 is a non Sport and I have to say I was less than impressed from day one with buffeting in crosswinds. It is one of the few things I think is not up to par on the car. I was wondering if it was just my setup or if it was all the 5s but it is interesting to hear that the Sports are not affected.

Do you think going to 18 in. wheels with wider tires or even a staggered setup would help?
I've been considering it anyway. If it would help here it may seal the deal.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

Putting larger and wider tires will not do anything for crosswind movement All wider tires do is look good and provide better traction and less wheel spin. Also a bit better cornering.

The swaying of your car is in the suspension and anti-roll bar setup-basically you have very soft roll bars in a non-sport car and your springs have more bounce to them. I drove an lci non sport recently for a loaner and I felt like I was bouncing all over the place. Especially on hard acceleration the cars front end would lift up and it was awful. I could never buy a non sport bimmer.

It is the bouncy soft suspension and the soft roll bar that makes wind driving awful.

Even in sport 3 series they have a bit stiffer sway bars but no ARS/dynamic drive and even with their stiff springs and stiffer sway bar you can still tell the major body roll when pushing the car.

Oddly enough my dynamic drive malfunctioned this morning on the way home-after restart it went away but once it was disabled I could instantly feel especially in any turns how much sway and roll the car had. Once it ws back on it takes turns completely flat and does not lean at all-probably the coolest feature I have ever seen on a car-great technology
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='495399' date='Nov 16 2007, 05:58 PM
Oddly enough my dynamic drive malfunctioned this morning on the way home-after restart it went away but once it was disabled I could instantly feel especially in any turns how much sway and roll the car had. Once it ws back on it takes turns completely flat and does not lean at all-probably the coolest feature I have ever seen on a car-great technology

This may sound like a dumb question, but can the Dynamic drive be switched off and on?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Banned

nope
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by SLORider' post='495313' date='Nov 16 2007, 09:47 PM
My 535 is a non Sport and I have to say I was less than impressed from day one with buffeting in crosswinds. It is one of the few things I think is not up to par on the car. I was wondering if it was just my setup or if it was all the 5s but it is interesting to hear that the Sports are not affected.
Logically thinking,
of course,
a car with lower and stiffer chassis,
with improved aerodynamics's,
is less subject to crosswinds.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='495658' date='Nov 17 2007, 09:49 PM
Logically thinking,
of course,
a car with lower and stiffer chassis,
with improved aerodynamics's,
is less subject to crosswinds.
Hi,

I have had sport suspension in all my BMWs and would never by one without it. I have had loaners without sport suspension - for me they are too soft and road control is not as good as with sport suspension. And as I live on the coast, where most of the days are windy, more limited crosswind sensitivity is also one of the important reasons to take sport option.

Of course I have to give away a bit of comfort - but in the end, it's ment to be "an ultimate driving machine" - not a sofa... or a Merc...

BR

Quick Reply: Crosswinds