E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking windows/doors...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 22 2005, 03:17 AM
[quote name='DXXXi' date='Feb 22 2005, 05:55 AM']I've been quite careful not to get any wax in there but nevertheless, I managed to make the passenger door start sqeeking a bit.? I wiped it down with clean hot water and a new microfibre cloth and it seems to have gotten better (gone away I am hoping).
I think I'm suffering from this! Where's the 'in there'?
[snapback]93084[/snapback]
[/quote]
In-there = everything inside the small outer seal that surround the upper part of the door/window when closed. I wiped down the top portion of the inside door frame (the painted areas that are outside the inner seal) as well as the top of the door including felt liner which I gave a good soaking. I started with the liner based on the thinking that I might accidentally add more wax to it if I did other parts first.

I don't know for sure that the noise has gone away or if I just can't hear it since I almost never sit in the passenger seat - I will ask my wife if it's still there.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Reine' date='Feb 22 2005, 12:55 PM
BMW has new doors seals, going into production from week 9 2005. I have complained about this issue since I got the (april -04) car and BMW now admits that the seals are the problem.

I' got the new seals last week (or BMW had to take the car back) and so far no problems at all.

BMW is not going to tell You something about this, avoiding to swap all seals from all produced cars before week 9 2005.
[snapback]93096[/snapback]

Can you obtain the seals part number?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reine' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:55 AM
BMW has new doors seals, going into production from week 9 2005. I have complained about this issue since I got the (april -04) car and BMW now admits that the seals are the problem.

I' got the new seals last week (or BMW had to take the car back) and so far no problems at all.

BMW is not going to tell You something about this, avoiding to swap all seals from all produced cars before week 9 2005.
[snapback]93096[/snapback]
Is there a BMW TIS out about the new door seals??? Anyone? Would be useful to hand the TIS to the dealer when taking the car in. I've had carbaflo put on by my dealer. Not sure whether the noise is coming from the door area. Definitely sure the noise I'm getting is coming from the rear parcel shelf. Anyone have a fix on the rear parcel shelf rattle? A TIS on this would be useful too.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Members

Hello, yes thank you, I know about the silicone remover first, just curious if dealers were doing this under warranty and if not how much the carbaflo was vs. the likely 2 hrs @ $80/hr my dealer would charge if it were not covered under warranty. If it's not done under warranty, I'll probably do it myself and avoid leaving the car at the dealer for most of a day.
[snapback]92988[/snapback]
[/quote]

In canada squeaks and rattles (adjustments) are covered for the first year or 20,000 kms, whichever occurs first. If there is a deffective part (such as a defective squeaking shock) then the warranty period is 4 years 80,000 kms. This particular repair would be classified as an adjustment. Replacing the seals will ony have a temporary effect, as they do not have an updated design.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributors

When mine started creaking, I asked my dealer to order me the Carbaflow. The parts guy said it's $100+ a tube, and therefore we both agreed it was better to have service do it for free under warranty. That was ~6 mos ago, no creaking so far.

On my old E39 540, I has the same issue, and didn't know about Carbaflow. I used o-ring lube from the pool supply store on the seals 2X per year and it worked fine. Seems like a reasonable alternative for about $4 a tube.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Feb 21 2005, 06:37 PM
[quote name='jmcaiado' date='Feb 21 2005, 06:04 PM']Hi,

To take care of the problem you have to apply Silicon Remover first and then Carbaflo.
[snapback]92986[/snapback]
Hello, yes thank you, I know about the silicone remover first, just curious if dealers were doing this under warranty and if not how much the carbaflo was vs. the likely 2 hrs @ $80/hr my dealer would charge if it were not covered under warranty. If it's not done under warranty, I'll probably do it myself and avoid leaving the car at the dealer for most of a day.
[snapback]92988[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have had my 530 in 3 times for this problem, and everytime it was covered under warranty. I still have this problem and my next trip in will be to insist on a more long term solution. Carbaflo only seems to last through maybe 2 carwashes, before the noise returns. I would have the dealer do it as long as it's under warranty. This is a long standing flaw in the 5 series.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jmcaiado' date='Feb 22 2005, 03:45 PM
Can you obtain the seals part number?
[snapback]93275[/snapback]
Sorry, don't have it. I'll check and get back to you.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:53 PM
I have had my 530 in 3 times for this problem, and everytime it was covered under warranty.? I still have this problem and my next trip in will be to insist on a more long term solution.? Carbaflo only seems to last through maybe 2 carwashes, before the noise returns.? I would have the dealer do it as long as it's under warranty.? This is a long standing flaw in the 5 series.
[snapback]93381[/snapback]
The long term solution is to change all four door seals with the new one (see earlier in this thread). Nothing else is going to help. Do You accept the dealer to first clean with silicon remover and then apply carbonflo, and to do this 5-6 times a year on a new car that should have been without this problem from the beginning, even if its coverd by warranty?

I've been through this and I can tell You that BMW admits the seals are faulty. BMW is very much aware of this problem and therefore have new seals going into production as we write. The problem for everyone is that BMW isn't going to tell You about this, I had to push very hard with both dealer and BMW sweden to get this solved.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Members

My Ride: On order: 530i LCI. Sport Tran 2TB. M-sport. Adv. Comf. HiFi. USB. Nav Prof. Comf seats.

Hey Reine. Who did you talk to at BMW Sweden? Was it the dealership in Solna or direct with BMW Sweden? I also got this problem and I am, as everyone, very irretaded about this.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Senior Members

I have anti-friction tape along the door-frame where the felt-tip material on the door (not the seal) comes in contact with the frame. The noise is gone. No carbaflo used.

Quick Reply: Creaking windows/doors...