E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking Noise From Door Sills

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Angry

Hey all:

So I have an interesting and hopefully not a unique situation. A few months ago, I began to notice a "creaking" noise from my doors. It sounds like something is literally cracking and tapping against the car...like a door thats not shut completely.

I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it with a door sill sticker issue.... Apparently, the "tape" BMW uses on the door sills tends to give away after time causing air to leak in there and causing the creaking/cracking noise. They changed the tape out and the sound disappeared. You could actually reproduce the sound by pressing on the plastic BMW door sills.

A few days ago, I noticed the sound came back from the right passenger door. Sure enough, gentle pressure on the sill logo reproduces the sound. Anyone experience this as an issue?? What was your fix????

Taking it back to dealer in a few days but would like to know what else is out there before I get taken for another long ride!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

There is a service bulletin for that. they replace all outer door seals and apply teflon tape to the upper part of the body. I had mine done 2 months ago.
Originally Posted by subarashi' post='566232' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:17 PM
Hey all:

So I have an interesting and hopefully not a unique situation. A few months ago, I began to notice a "creaking" noise from my doors. It sounds like something is literally cracking and tapping against the car...like a door thats not shut completely.

I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it with a door sill sticker issue.... Apparently, the "tape" BMW uses on the door sills tends to give away after time causing air to leak in there and causing the creaking/cracking noise. They changed the tape out and the sound disappeared. You could actually reproduce the sound by pressing on the plastic BMW door sills.

A few days ago, I noticed the sound came back from the right passenger door. Sure enough, gentle pressure on the sill logo reproduces the sound. Anyone experience this as an issue?? What was your fix????

Taking it back to dealer in a few days but would like to know what else is out there before I get taken for another long ride!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Members

i THINK im experienceing that too. but i only hear it when its cold like in the morning drive to work, but not in the afternoon. it sounds like a light rattling/tapping against leather?

i told the dealer about it the last time i brought it in, but they couldnt hear the sound when they drove it.

i hear it from the door behind the drivers side.

i wonder if its the same thing...
Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

I have had the creaking door sill issue on both my 5's. It happens mostly in cold weather and when the weather is dry. There is a TSB for this where a special lubricant is added to each of the doors. I think another cause is the soap you use to wash the car causes this noise to be more apparent. After each wash, I make sure I wipe down each door. My 2 cents.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Oriental Metallic Blue Sports and Premium Package L7 Sound

In my last service, my SA replaced all 4 outer door seals and the noise went away This should be covered by the warranty package.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by GP550iSport' post='566317' date='Apr 23 2008, 01:53 AM
I think another cause is the soap you use to wash the car causes this noise to be more apparent. After each wash, I make sure I wipe down each door. My 2 cents.

Bingo! While it seems unrelated to the OP's specific problem, be sure to avoid using chemicals like armor all on you door seals. I made my first E46 a squeaky mess when I did.

I think silicone in the products doesn't play well with the door seals.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:10 AM
Members

This happens when it rains really hard. iuse talcum powder applied with a brush very gently. Wipe away any spillage and repeat the process when the noise appears again. Seems to work very well.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I just noticed my car making this noise this morning on the way to work. It's interesting how many people have had this start up in the last couple days. Weather related? My car is going in on Friday for something else, so I will mention this to them as well (along with the creaking clutch).
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 525 saloon, auto, Silver, artificial leather, USB, 244 wheels

our 6m old 5000mile 525 also squeeks a rear door. I thought this only happened when you wanted to sell the car?
it will be interesting to find out what the "solution" is
Kirk
Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Members

Anyone have a copy of the TSB. I have recently noticed the same thing and would love to get them to fix it. Or better yet, anyone know what "special lubricant they use? I'll just run it along the door sill myself. Which part seems to be the problem area by the way?

Quick Reply: Creaking Noise From Door Sills