E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crashed it. 2005 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while since I posted here, figured I would as this is the forum that first inspired me to get my 545i.

Stormy day in New Jersey, left work early to beat the weather. Black ice on the road over a low bridge. Literally driving straight under 50 MPH - most other cars were flying by me at 70MPH+. Started to fishtail wildly, then into 360 degree spin, then hit concrete barrier.

Luckily, the 3 cars bearing down on me avoided hitting into me. Scared the crap out of me, but I was OK. Got the car over to the shoulder, towed away, and awaiting insurance report.

Lessons learned:
* Don't drive a RWD car in ANY kind of weather.
* Probably have to get an xi (AWD), I don't think I trust this car anymore, despite the fact that I loved it and it was a tank - probably saved my life.

At what estimate amount do you think the insurance company (GEICO) will total this car?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by doctors4bob' post='753912' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:35 PM
Lessons learned:
* Don't drive a RWD car in ANY kind of weather.
* Probably have to get an xi (AWD), I don't think I trust this car anymore, despite the fact that I loved it and it was a tank - probably saved my life.
I wouldn't take these lessons from what happened. The most important question is: What kind of tires did you have on the car? Even AWD won't help much on black ice. It's not your car that was the problem....it was the ice, and probably your tires.

Glad to hear you are ok, though. Fix her up and get some good snow tires afterward. You'll be good to go.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

man sorry to hear about that. good to know that you are alright though.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wow! Glad you OK... black ice are nasty... don't think even an AWD will do any better on somethin' like that...
Old 12-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='753918' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:40 PM
Wow! Glad you OK... black ice are nasty... don't think even an AWD will do any better on somethin' like that...
There were plenty of SUV's flying by me. The rear end just lost traction. I can't explain it any other way. I didn't actually *see* the ice, I just assumed it.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='753914' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't take these lessons from what happened. The most important question is: What kind of tires did you have on the car? Even AWD won't help much on black ice. It's not your car that was the problem....it was the ice, and probably your tires.

Glad to hear you are ok, though. Fix her up and get some good snow tires afterward. You'll be good to go.
I had new tires put on by the dealer when it was CPO'd after I bought it out from my lease. I am not sure what they were - "stock" Bimmer tires I assume.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by doctors4bob' post='753923' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:47 PM
I had new tires put on by the dealer when it was CPO'd after I bought it out from my lease. I am not sure what they were - "stock" Bimmer tires I assume.
RWD and non-winter tires is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. You have to get winter tires if you have RWD, the stock all seasons are junk on ice and snow. Sorry to hear about your collision and glad to hear no one got hurt.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='753929' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:56 PM
RWD and non-winter tires is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. You have to get winter tires if you RWD, the stock all seasons are junk on ice and snow. Sorry to hear about your collision and glad to hear no one got hurt.
Thanks for the kind words, I am lucky. You are right, I should have had better tires on her.

I am also too lazy to deal with switching tires every season, if they total the car I'll get an xi model (maybe even a 3) or another brand but I really don't want to do that, I love my Bimmer.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Until I bought my '07 530xi I drove RWD BMW's beginning in the 1980's with my 1986 524TD.

Lesson learned from learning to drive in Upstate NY winters ... including a few stints at driving on frozen lakes; Never try to "out-drive" the car or your own driving abilities - that's a losing combination.

Snow is somewhat forgiving - ICE never forgives no matter how many wheels you're driving or stopping.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but if you insist on testing the limits of your next car do it in an environment that is less risky to you, your car, or others. For example, EVERY new car I have purchased since 19XX ... was tested at near limits on a deserted parking lot. First snow / ice to see how it accelerated or braked and handled in sharp cornering, etc. Rainy and slick same thing ... dry road handling etc.

Better to slip and slide with hundreds of feet of nothing in the way than on a busy highway with no escape routes and no margin for error.

Sorry this was your very own reality show but it seems that no one was hurt. Cars can be repaired or replaced.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

sorry to hear, glad you and no one else were hurt...lesson learned, insurance will take care of the rest hopefully....hope things get resolved/repaired quickly....

Quick Reply: Crashed it. 2005 545i