E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crashed :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was involved in an accident on the highway today. 3 lane highway, a Suzuki Samurai swerved in the inside leg, lost control and cut across into the middle lane at a 90 degree angle, crashed into a Honda CRV, they both slid into the outside lane where I was driving. I hit the brakes and tried to avoid it but went into the back of the CRV.

I have a few questions if anybody can be of assistance. I am 100% not to blame, the insurance companies came and took photos. I made sure they took photos of the skid marks proving from where he started sliding. My front bumper is destoyed, but my carbon lip which is silicon glued to the bumper is fine. This piece cost me around $1000 and now I can not remove it from the car. I loved this piece because it was unique, nobody else has it in Cyprus and I have only ever seen it once online on an E60 on a different forum. I could get the Mtech fron bumper now but then I will be the same as everyone else.

My carbon fibre splitter before the crash:

So now I could get an MTech front bumper and put a different carbon fibre splitter I guess

As it was evening and I couldn't open the bonnet I haven't had a chance to see if there is much damage inside the engine bay. I will have a look tomorrow morning.

Nobody was injured by the way, I was lucky to not get hit into from behind as we were on the highway and I was probably doig about 100kmh before I slammed on the brakes.

What everybody wants to see Pics of the crash:

Bumper is ruined, there is a perfect round hole where her exhausted hit my bumper.
Hood is destroyed.
Left light and carbon fibre eyebrow is destoyed.
carbon fibre grilles are destrpyed.
As far as I can see the fenders are ok.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

First, glad to hear you're okay. THe car can be fixed (even though going through the process sucks)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Ouch, I assume and hope you were unhurt.
Was the fluid on the road from your car?
Did your airbags go off.
I hope insurance covers it all. In my case I got the rental car paid up front and the insurance deductible waived up front. Since you have good pics the adjusters should cover all of your improvements.
I'll be watching for your new and improved after-pics in a few weeks.
Hopefully the repairs will cost less than a writeoff.
GL
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Contributors

The fluid on the road wasn't mine and the airbags dint go off. i assume because i have a restraint warning at the moment on idrive.
I have a few questions as if i am going to get new parts i may as well upgrade.
My car is prelci. Will Lci mtech bumpers fit? front and rear without any problems with tabs and clips?
Also Lci lights, from what i have read i will need Bruce Miranda cables to make them work? is that correct?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

WOW man, sorry to hear about it! Hope you'll get the car fixed exactly how you want it

As for taking off the lip, you should be able to get it uninstalled by a professional shop, depending on what adhesive they used when they put it on. If it was the original glue that BMW recommends, it's fairly easy to remove. If it's silicone, it's a little harder, but still doable.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

looks awful! glad your ok!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

So sorry man. The Bruce Miranda cables are for the rear LCI tail lights for pre-LCI cars. For the headlights, you would need the LCM2 light module and programming to geat LCI headlights to work.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

when a 5 series meets a suv or truck, they really seem to suffer a lot of damage, since the main hit is above the bumper support. if you had rear ended a lower car, you'd probably have minimal damage.
anyways, i'd go with an mtech or similar bumper.
as for the lights, you'll need lci headlights with ahl modules, lci tail lights, light control module 2, and a wiring kit. plus some coding.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Glad ur ok! Anything can be replaced. Don;t worry!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you and no one else was injured, the damage is unfortunate but repairable.

Quick Reply: Crashed :(