5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Crank no start (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/crank-no-start-149216/)

Juanclemus 12-29-2018 06:50 PM

Crank no start

Long story short, I moved my car around the driveway (like 20 feet) and then let it sit for 3 days as I had family over for the holidays. I went to go start my car and it cranks but will not start. I have checked the fuse and it’s good. I have tested the relay and it’s also good. I am not getting a power reading on the white and blue wire on the pump connection though. If I put my power probe where the relay goes, I do not get a reading where the bottom prong of the relay goes. I tried changing the crankshaft position sensor and it still won’t start. What do I do?

seanjordan20 12-29-2018 07:26 PM

I would put the old one cos back in and check the battery. When trying to start the car use the other key

Juanclemus 12-29-2018 09:05 PM

Well the battery was good (I think) because it was cranking strong. After messing with it for so long though I did kill the battery. I will fully charge the battery tomorrow and try another key although my other key has only worked for about 20% of the time that I’ve owned the car. The car goes thru phases where it recognizes the key sometimes but most of the time it doesn’t

seanjordan20 12-30-2018 06:14 AM

Usually when I have that issue it's the battery. Longer cranks mean the battery is not strong enough. How old is the battery? My car sits for weeks at a time and when I don't put it on a tender it takes a while to crank or I have to charge it to get it to crank.

kd7iwp 12-30-2018 06:41 AM

I wonder if it’s flooded? Twice on my E46, if I start it on s cold day and move it around the driveway it won’t restart later. Turns out since it’s cold and sprays more fuel in but the block isn’t warm enough to vaporize it, the fuel sits. For that car I crank it with the throttle fully depressed and that puts it in flood mode where it shuts off the fuel injectors and allows you to just pump air through the motor and get that fuel out. Sorry if it doesn’t help you, it’s just helped me twice with that M54.

Juanclemus 01-04-2019 04:02 PM

So I tested the battery and it was completely dead and wasn’t holding any charge when I put my charger on it so I went to the dealership and bought a new one. Threw it in hoping that would be it and unfortunately it still won’t start. It gets SO CLOSE to starting but it just doesn’t. I don’t know what to do. New to this so I don’t know if the video will upload but I took one of how it’s acting

Juanclemus 01-04-2019 04:08 PM

Update: I can get it to start for like a second if I keep trying but it always shuts off

Juanclemus 01-04-2019 04:20 PM

How load is the noise the pump makes on this thing? Because I have the rear seat out and I still don’t hear anything when I put the key in and like I said, the white and blue wire isn’t getting power but the fuse and relay are tested and good

seanjordan20 01-04-2019 05:30 PM

Was the battery registered or you just put it in. Was it the same size also?

seanjordan20 01-04-2019 05:31 PM

Do you have INPA software