E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked Windshield w/HUD - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our new 2006 530xiT wagon just got hit with a rock and cracked the windshield pretty bad. The car also has HUD and I'm nervous about getting the windshield repaired correctly - i.e., without screwing up the car. I believe there is a set distance that the glass has to sit in the frame and without performing the job with the proper level of precision and care, it will create wind noise, etc.

Anyway, looking for any recommendations for a dealership that can handle this in the MD/VA area.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I think there is a slight tolerance whereby exact precision to the millimeter is not necessary.

HOWEVER, be extremely careful with the glass that is ordered. My BMW dealer uses a glass retailer and I just went through hell getting the correct installation. There is a special windshield that must be installed or you will end up with a double image that makes it look blurry. Demand the windshield be ordered through BMW for a car equipped with HUD.

Refer to this thread. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=22399&hl=

There is also a link in the aforementioned thread with good information about how HUD works, the windshield needed, etc.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Members

Don't sweat it. I cracked my HUD windshield and took it to my local dealer. $1,500 later, they had replaced it with the correct glass and all was well with the HUD. (The only thing that wasn't quite right was my bank account!)
Old 03-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

yeah, only use a BMW dealer.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by jyeatman' post='247644' date='Mar 1 2006, 01:24 AM
Don't sweat it. I cracked my HUD windshield and took it to my local dealer. $1,500 later, they had replaced it with the correct glass and all was well with the HUD. (The only thing that wasn't quite right was my bank account!)
I asked this question before without a responce but I'll ask it again.
Why are you guys paying $850-$1500 to replace cracked windshields when you can go through your insurance and pay the deductible.Your premium doesnot go up if you claim it.
cheers
vern
Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by vern' post='247757' date='Mar 1 2006, 06:34 AM
I asked this question before without a responce but I'll ask it again.
Why are you guys paying $850-$1500 to replace cracked windshields when you can go through your insurance and pay the deductible.Your premium doesnot go up if you claim it.
cheers
vern
I was wondering the same thing, Vern. I've had several windshields replaced over the years by my insurance company with no bump in premiums. I figure, that's what we are paying all those premiums for!!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='247759' date='Mar 1 2006, 06:38 AM
I was wondering the same thing, Vern. I've had several windshields replaced over the years by my insurance company with no bump in premiums. I figure, that's what we are paying all those premiums for!!
Absolutely, a comprehensive damage claim does not incur any penalty or rate adjustment. When my Active Steering/Active Roll hydraulic system cooler took a hit from something coming through the grill I used my insurance. I've done the same with bent rims from potholes and I'll do it for the glass if it happens. State Farm recently amended their policies to allow for non-OEM marked glass to be used but I doubt there are non-OEM (non-BMW) HUD windshields to be had.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Members

Can anyone recommend a dealer in the MD/VA area that they would trust to do this correctly?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Had to have mine replaced also. At the Time I was in San Diego, and one dealership did not know the part number, and the other did. The glass was ordered by the dealership ( the one that knew the part #), but installed by company that the dealer used. Hit my bank account to the toon of $900.

As far as a dealer to trust, call a couple of dealers to see if they come up with the correct part no for the windshield. If they can not, I would not use them.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Originally Posted by 5 Rakete' post='247789' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:44 AM
Absolutely, a comprehensive damage claim does not incur any penalty or rate adjustment. When my Active Steering/Active Roll hydraulic system cooler took a hit from something coming through the grill I used my insurance. I've done the same with bent rims from potholes and I'll do it for the glass if it happens. State Farm recently amended their policies to allow for non-OEM marked glass to be used but I doubt there are non-OEM (non-BMW) HUD windshields to be had.
My point exactly. Just maybe these guys that are laying out all this money out of pocket and are complaining about it are B/S the forum.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield w/HUD - Recommendations?