E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked windshield after 3 days

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i Titanium Silver Metallic, xDrive, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, sat radio, rear split/heated seats, euro reflectors

Anyone ever heard of a windshield cracking after 3 days of driving? I picked up my 530xi with 4 miles on it at the dealership last week and the windshield developed a crack about 6 inches up on the drivers side. The 4" initial crack went horizontally from the under the left moulding and then grew day by day vertically to 10". I should add that the night it cracked the temp was @ 10 degrees F.

The dealership replaced the windshield today but I'm wondering if it was just a bad piece of glass or couls something be structurally wrong with my car. Any insite?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Not heard of this before!

The front window is a carbody carring part in modern cars, so if I where you, I would be really
interested in what have happended to the car whilest shipping.

This could be a mark of that the aluminum bolt-in-front-frame is not assembled correctly,
but if this would be the fact, it would be a major problem for the E60 x-cars.

It could also be a mishap of some kind, the windows have a lot of tension built within them.

What ever happens, make the retailer do a written certificate of what have happened.

Do you have a leased car or did you buy it?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i Titanium Silver Metallic, xDrive, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, sat radio, rear split/heated seats, euro reflectors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='214525' date='Dec 22 2005, 02:36 PM
Not heard of this before!

The front window is a carbody carring part in modern cars, so if I where you, I would be really
interested in what have happended to the car whilest shipping.

This could be a mark of that the aluminum bolt-in-front-frame is not assembled correctly,
but if this would be the fact, it would be a major problem for the E60 x-cars.

It could also be a mishap of some kind, the windows have a lot of tension built within them.

What ever happens, make the retailer do a written certificate of what have happened.

Do you have a leased car or did you buy it?
Leased
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

There have been many many posts about the quality of BMW glass. First off, there have been reports on this forum concerning stress fractures. This is when the windshield cracks without having anything hit it. Lot's of reports about this. Next, many cases of rocks hitting the windshield causing pin holes which later develop into cracks.

I had a small pebble hit my windshiled not long after I got it causing a pinhole, I was able to get the dealer to change it although they are very clear in that if they see the damage was caused by something hitting it , you are on your own for replacement. Do a search and lots of posts will come up
Old 12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

That sounds like it might be a stres sfarcture. This happened to me after about 2 week sof ownership. Crack started under moulding on left side. it was about 6" long. Dealer looked at it and agreed to repalce it.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='214538' date='Dec 22 2005, 03:04 PM
That sounds like it might be a stres sfarcture. This happened to me after about 2 week sof ownership. Crack started under moulding on left side. it was about 6" long. Dealer looked at it and agreed to repalce it.

Good luck
Have you had any problems with the replacement?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by gabman' post='214537' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:57 PM
There have been many many posts about the quality of BMW glass. First off, there have been reports on this forum concerning stress fractures. This is when the windshield cracks without having anything hit it. Lot's of reports about this. Next, many cases of rocks hitting the windshield causing pin holes which later develop into cracks.

I had a small pebble hit my windshiled not long after I got it causing a pinhole, I was able to get the dealer to change it although they are very clear in that if they see the damage was caused by something hitting it , you are on your own for replacement. Do a search and lots of posts will come up
This feels like there is a bad windscreen sub-contractor within the BMW factory.

The windshield should not break nor crack that easily.

That rocks hit the window and that they later develop into cracks is a quite
common known feature in these days.

The problem is that the front window should be as light as possible, it should also be
as safe as possible and it should also be a part of the chassis stiffness.

That's a complex equation.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I had my car one day, was on the parkway, something hit the windshield and BAM, a little chip appeared. It hasn't got any bigger, so I haven't done anything with it.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by uny530xi' post='214557

Good luck
Have you had any problems with the replacement?
[/quote]

No problems with the replacement (knock on wood). I have had it now for almost 10 months.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

sounds structural to me

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield after 3 days