E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Just picking up on this thread as it seems the most recent....

I just got back from a 10 day drive from Toronto to Tampa and back through Savannah and Charleston. On the way south through Georgia, a crack started in the lower driver side of the windshield. It really took off in the first few hours and covered about 10 inches across the windshield. The local dealer in Tampa confirmed it's a "stress crack" and offered to confirm that to my Toronto dealer. While driving home the crack moved about 6-8 more inches across the windshield.

I'm not sure what a stress crack is or how to avoid it, but it sure is annoying. I hope the replacement is good.

Other than that (and creaking door seals while in Florida and Georgia) the car handled like a dream the entire trip.

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Members

glad its getting replaced. I got a 9 inch crack from a rock less than 4 hours of getting the car on the drive back home :thumbsdown: . Frank at Crevier BMW thought mybe i could claim it as a stress crack to get the dealer to cover but the rock chip was to obvious.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I just got back from a 10 day drive from Toronto to Tampa and back through Savannah and Charleston. On the way south through Georgia, a crack started in the lower driver side of the windshield. It really took off in the first few hours and covered about 10 inches across the windshield. The local dealer in Tampa confirmed it's a "stress crack" and offered to confirm that to my Toronto dealer. While driving home the crack moved about 6-8 more inches across the windshield.

I'm not sure what a stress crack is or how to avoid it, but it sure is annoying. I hope the replacement is good.

When my windshield cracked, it continued to enlarge for days. It started as a small rock impact, but anytime I left the car sitting in the hot sun.... the heat would cause the crack to split more and more.... untill eventually the whole windshield had been divided horizontally.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Members

I`m glad I got an insurance where you don`t have to pay anything yourself if a stone crack my windshield. It takes me 4 mins. to deliver and I get a loaner for the day, in the afternoon I collect it as good as new.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Built Nov 06 Silver Grey with Black Leather Steptronic Automatic Tranmission Premium Package Navigation System Sirius Satellite Red Reflectors :-)

My windsheild almost cracked the otherday when a rock on highway landed on it and left a big chip. I think BMW windshield is too soft; my car is only about 6000 miles, but it's chipped a lot already.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Members

My Ride: Delivery 11/30/05: 2006 - 550i 6-speed, Monaco Blue, Auburn, Antracite headliner, M aero, sport, nav, HUD, cold weather, sun shades, folding seat, rearseat heat and air bags, Logic 7, Serius, SR-7 Detector, M wheels Previous Ride - 2002 540 6-speed, sport, turning in with 114,000 wonderful miles

:thumbsdown: I thought it was only me. My window cracked the 1st month I owned my car, I picked up my car December 1st. It was determined that a pin sized rock mark caused the crack. Well.....about a month ago another crack started. Again, a small 1mm rock mark is visible in the black area around the window. Two windshields in 4 months is way too many. I'm scheduled to have it replaced tomorrow.

I'm hoping that this is my last. Otherwise, this car is going to become too expensive to insure. We might need a running thread for this, and CC BMW.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

This is not just a BMW thing, my last E-Class had similar problems with the windsheild, when the car went back to M-B it looked like the sheild had been shot with a scatter gun
Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

I had a crack appear last week, called my insurance company and they got me a replacement, however I was in my dealer today and one of the guys saw my screen, he said it was a stress fracture and they would replace it under warranty.