E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I went out to move my car last night and noticed a 4 - 6 inch crack in the lower driver side windshield. There is a pin head small chip where the crack starts. Given the chip, is there any chance that BMW will replace it under warranty? I know there have been allot of windshield issue - more than can be considered normal - but am I SOL becasue of the chip?

And, any idea how much it will cost to replace?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Members

I had a large rock bounce off my windshield last night while doing 75mph or so. It didn't leave a trace of damage...maybe BMW is making stronger windshields now??
Old 06-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jun 11 2005, 09:07 AM
I went out to move my car last night and noticed a 4 - 6 inch crack in the lower driver side windshield.? There is a pin head small chip where the crack starts.? Given the chip, is there any chance that BMW will replace it under warranty?? I know? there have been allot of windshield issue - more than can be considered normal - but? am I SOL becasue of the chip?

[snapback]138537[/snapback]
Sorry to hear that :'( I had a cracked windshield a couple months ago and BMW will not cover it under warranty if you have even a pinhead chip on the windshield. The cost of a new windshield will cost anywhere from $800 - $1200 installed. I have a $1,000 comprehensive coverage from my insurance company so I was out of luck and had to pay $1,135 out of my pocket. Hope this helps.

Good luck

(i hope the new windshield is a bit stronger now)
Old 06-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

Had the same thing happen to me about a week after i got my car. Something really really small must have hit the glass in the black border on the driver's side (i never heard it hit); instead of getting one of those little stars, a couple days later i had a 6" crack extending diagonally both ways from the initial impact point; i have had a lot of cars, and never one that cracked when a piece of sand hit it! Anyway, i took it to the dealer and gave it my best shot, they said if there's any sign of impact they will get it kicked back as a warranty item, as opposed to the stress fractures, which usually are paid.
I actually ended up getting various quotes around town (San Diego) and from a couple dealers. The best one was 89glass.com, installed for $339 or so. They sub'd it out to Triumph Glass. There's 2 kinds of glass, one is dealer glass, which is more expensive, and i think the other one they call OEM, which is what i got. The price included the rain sensor too. I was pleased with the install, the guy and his extended family all have BMW's, and he even had the pictures to show me. I have had no problems, and they have a 1 year installation warranty.
Just to show you how much profit there is in glass and installation, Triumph charged 89glass about $240 for the glass and install (i had to sign the receipt, that's how i know). Oh yeah, he did tell me that the glass was some of the thinnest glass he had ever seen.

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Jun 11 2005, 09:13 AM
[quote name='robg' date='Jun 11 2005, 09:07 AM']I went out to move my car last night and noticed a 4 - 6 inch crack in the lower driver side windshield.? There is a pin head small chip where the crack starts.? Given the chip, is there any chance that BMW will replace it under warranty?? I know? there have been allot of windshield issue - more than can be considered normal - but? am I SOL becasue of the chip?

Sorry to hear that :'( I had a cracked windshield a couple months ago and BMW will not cover it under warranty if you have even a pinhead chip on the windshield. The cost of a new windshield will cost anywhere from $800 - $1200 installed. I have a $1,000 comprehensive coverage from my insurance company so I was out of luck and had to pay $1,135 out of my pocket. Hope this helps.

Good luck

(i hope the new windshield is a bit stronger now)
[snapback]138545[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 06-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black/Black, Sport Package, Satellite

Shop around for authorized BMW windshield....the service manager at a dealership in San Diego did me a favor and gave me the name of a replacement company he knows that replaced my 3 series windshield with an authorized BMW rains sensor windshield and it was half the cost the dealership would have charged.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

I'm in the Uk & a couple of weeks ago & large stone hit my windscreen at 70mph, left a couple of chips on the glass but no cracks.
My insurance covers repairs to windscreen free of charge, ?100 excess if it needs to be replaced.
Autoglass came out & did fix it with some kind of resin, they said that they could not do invisible repair on chips, can still see it a bit, but at least it is smooth now so the wipers work properly & do not leave any lines.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

hello robq!
this just happened to me this past month.....went to the garage in the AM and noticed a "straight" horizontal crack....NOTHING that i was aware of had hit my window....and all but for SMALL tiny sand looking pits there were no real chips....it was evident that it was a "stress fracture".......it seems the dealer dan pretty much tell the "type" just by looking.....it will be up to the service manager....at least at my dealership....the service rep exclaimed it was a stress crack....but it still had to get the "ok" from the service manager...my car was only two months old.....i was very worried since there were TINY chip pits.....but nothing of size that could have actually "crtacked" the window.....i was worried that the dealer would use one of those small chips as the "reason" that i got the fracture....
they did right and replaced under warranty....otherwise my quote was $700 to replace...they had to keep for 24hrs for the "glue to set properly"......since it was there i had the aux input install.....!!
good luck!!
jack
Old 06-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Another stone hit my windscreen today, only going 30, but it has cracked the glass all the way through this time, in drivers vision.
I have windscreen cover on my insurance, I have to pay ?60 excess as the glass is being replaced & does not affect no claims. I asked the glass company how much the actual bill is ( being paid by insurers ). Total cost ?538 !!.
Get insurance for windscreen, or move to a company that covers it !!.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Had the first on replaced by BMW, no apparent impact. My second one was replaced by me. I have full glass coverage by my insurance company which paid for the whole replacement at the BMW dealer. I'll have to check but full glass coverage is not that much per year.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jun 11 2005, 10:07 AM
I went out to move my car last night and noticed a 4 - 6 inch crack in the lower driver side windshield.? There is a pin head small chip where the crack starts.? Given the chip, is there any chance that BMW will replace it under warranty?? I know? there have been allot of windshield issue - more than can be considered normal - but? am I SOL becasue of the chip?

I would try to get it replaced under warranty as a stress fracture.To replace a OEM windshield with Rain Sensor on my 2001 330ci at JMK BMW was $750.I paid $100 thru my insurance,$100 deductable on my comprehensive. Who knows how much it will cost if you have rain sensor and HUD. Back to the insurance,I realy don't know why BMW owners don't carry a LOW insurance deductabale on there comprehensive,(its cheap enough) knowing that BMW windshields are prone to damage. Good luck
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield