E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked Wind shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday it was HOT ..101 I think, and apon returning to my car at the end of the day I noticed that my wind shield had cracked. Starting at the top of the window just to the left of the rain sensor down the window about 8-9 inches. I did get the car HAND WASHED at lunch time and I don't remember being struck by any gravel or anything on the way back from lunch,I find this really odd.... Just wondering if anyone has had this happen ??
Old 09-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Yes this has happened before and is known as a stresscrack. There has been a discussion about this issue also concerning dealers not wanting to replace it under warranty. Do a search on cracked windshield and you should get some answers
Old 09-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Members

yes, indeed this happened to me about a week after I got the car. It doubled in size the next day... Dealer looked at it and could not see any evidence of a stone hitting it, so replaced it under warranty. I have seen a few other postings like this as well, so it does seem to be a bit more often than you would want to tolerate.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Carlos

It happen to me as well, three days after taking the car off the dealership, the windshild cracked, started on the left side and made its way to the middle. I bought the windshield protection plan the day I bought the car and the dealership did not want to replace it. I'm sure it was a stress crack but they were saying that it was not. Finally the windshield protection insurance plan replaced the windshield.
Ever since this happen to me I do not trust those service guys at the dealership.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:48 PM
JDN
Contributors

Maybe the HUD windshield is the best replacement windshield. Anyone have a stress crack in a HUD windshield to report?
Old 09-03-2004, 03:38 AM
Members

Mine was (is) a HUD windshield. Replacement was a mess as the dealer got the wrong part TWICE and when I finally got the car back, the light grey interior around the window was full of black finger prints... :'(
Old 09-03-2004, 06:03 AM
JDN
Contributors

Well, that shot that theory down.

Bummer about the fingerprints. That is a pretty nonchalant service department that will let that happen. You have to wonder about the discipline of the rest of the shop. I have never had anything like that happen at John Roberts or Classic in Dallas, but if it ever does . . .
Old 09-03-2004, 06:45 AM
stu
Members

IMHO Windscreens seem thinner than they need to be. Mine has cracked twice in 5 months - both with encouragement from minor stone impacts that would not have damaged my previous car .
Old 09-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Spoke with dealer yesterday, going to replace it no problem.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray, Sport Package, Nav, Logic 7, 20 inch Asanti's

Mine cracked too. I thought a rock hit it so I claimed it on my ins. I was listening to my stereo load so I assumed it was a rock since I was on the freeway doing about 80 mph. It cracked in the same place upper left hand side and went down toward the middle. What's up???????????????????

Quick Reply: Cracked Wind shield