E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CRACKED RIM - STYLE 138

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scary stuff..the 138 looks more or less the same as mine 122. Maybe i shold be worried about it too.

Glad that you guys are okay.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Members

My apologies...a newbie.

I am total shock to learn about this and other incidents. Having driven on alloy rims for the past decade or more, this is the first time I have heard of a crack that is not caused by collision or impact. Nonetheless one crack rim is too many as tyres are your only four contact points between control and collision.

The 138's 17" 225/50 are standard equipment for 525 here in Singapore. Not too sure what RFT's will be used, but these usually comes in batches. I am taking my deliver of my 525 next week, and will certainly now ask the rims to be swap maybe to 122's 17" but 245/50 tyres.

Cracked Rims are not acceptable by any standards, and I would be interested to hear of BMW's response.

Cheers..

oh yes Nick thks for the very informative url
Old 05-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Originally Posted by olus' post='274768' date='Apr 27 2006, 10:15 AM
First of all I would like to "salute" all forum members.
Unfortunatelly my first post to this forum has to do with a problem to my aloy cast rim caused a few days ago.
I was driving my 6 months old BMW520 on a country road (up on a mountain) in Greece with my wife and my two fifteen months old kids (twins). It was 12:45 am and I was driving the car with 60 kmh speed (kmh not mph).
In a right curve the right back wheel get out instantly from the road surface and came back at once. The road surface edge was very soft and next to road surface there was gravel not rocks and or holes. I stoped the car after 40-50 meters. The results ... you can see them in the attached photos.
Attachment 18242Attachment 18243Attachment 18244Attachment 18245Attachment 18246

I searched the forum and I found out that similar problems appeared with 124 style rims.
I am waiting for the response from BMW Hellas. They have sent an expert to check the problem.
For your info my car wears the Dunlop "run flat" tyres (225/50/17)
I am going to ask BMW Hellas to check with ultrasound equipment all remaining 3 rims and issue a certificate that they are not defective.
If you have any coments I will be glad to hear them.

Thanking you in advnce
Olus
I've had a bit of an interest in following this thread because my winter wheels are 138's. I emailed the photos over to my tyre guy who has been looking after me for 15 years and is one of the best around, he's pretty much seen it all!

First, he said he would like to see a photo of the impact marks on the tyre tread. He reckons that for this deformation to have happened to the rim it has hit something hard and at speed, for the hard surface of the object to have transfered that amount of energy through the tyre and on the the rim edge, RFT or not. Nevertheless the lower the profile of the tyre and the rigidity of the RFT sidewall, could make it more suceptible to this kind of damage. He went on to say that for the driver to not notice this impact in a car with suspension as firm as a e60 and RFT's means that either the driver was asleep (possible reason for going of the road in the first place ) or the damage occured by way of a "bizarre" (sic) occurrence. He says that the deformation area of the rim surface is clear evidence of a hard sudden impact, like if you hit a curb with high force. He says that this sort of impact as seen in the photos could crack any alloy rim.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maninblack' post='276751' date='May 2 2006, 06:16 AM
I've had a bit of an interest in following this thread because my winter wheels are 138's. I emailed the photos over to my tyre guy who has been looking after me for 15 years and is one of the best around, he's pretty much seen it all!

First, he said he would like to see a photo of the impact marks on the tyre tread. He reckons that for this deformation to have happened to the rim it has hit something hard and at speed, for the hard surface of the object to have transfered that amount of energy through the tyre and on the the rim edge, RFT or not. Nevertheless the lower the profile of the tyre and the rigidity of the RFT sidewall, could make it more suceptible to this kind of damage. He went on to say that for the driver to not notice this impact in a car with suspension as firm as a e60 and RFT's means that either the driver was asleep (possible reason for going of the road in the first place ) or the damage occured by way of a "bizarre" (sic) occurrence. He says that the deformation area of the rim surface is clear evidence of a hard sudden impact, like if you hit a curb with high force. He says that this sort of impact as seen in the photos could crack any alloy rim.
Hi maninblack,

It's a bit difficult for me to believe that, when a BMW car's alloy wheel hits a pothole or a curb, to split transversely
The affect of such an impact should be a circumference partial damage, curving or cracking, but not split :thumbsdown: I have never seen this again. That wheels seems to be splintery, at least with runflat mounted.

Nick
Old 05-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by maninblack' post='276751' date='May 2 2006, 06:16 AM

Here is a photo of the rim:
CRACKED RIM - STYLE 138-rim_res.jpg

Who says that I didn't notice the impact? and whose talking about "biazzare occurrence". If you or your "expert friend" simply read my post you would have found out that I said that the right back wheel of the car instantly went out of the street. I was driving the car with a speed no more than 60Kmh. For that I am absolutelly sure. I felt that "impact" and I realized that this was the cause of the damage but it is very hard fr me to "swallow" that this incident caused this tremendous damage to my rim.
My dear Australian friend. On July 1st, 2000, 21 days after my marriage, me and my wife survived from a deadly accident when a drunk lady driver crashed her car (100% full frontal collision) to mine ( a Chrysler Sebring Convertible) and both cars got fire and distroyed. The lady was kelled. Our survival from this accident was a miracle according to police authorities and the fire department. You can understand that while driving any car since that date I am very cautious especialy when I have a closed right curve in front of me and two fifteen months angels sitting in the back seats of my car (on their Recaro seats). And I definately didn't felt asleep. I am not a criminal. I do not want to kill my wife and kids, while doing stupid things, such as driving while I am tired or sleepless.

Olus
Old 05-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Hey man, no offence meant by the "sleep" comment, he was just asking the question, his words not mine and it was just an off-hand comment, it's the Australian way, if any offense was taken I apologise.

As to the "bizzare" occurence comment I think that this is perfectly reasonable. What he is saying is that S.H.I.T happens. We can't always explain it, something weird or out of the ordinary occurred and we may never know.

What can be seen on the photo is that there is severe multiple damage marks to the INSIDE of the rim, which is pretty weird in itself. So something pretty major caused this, but what?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Members

@mainiblack : Its OK no problem. Sometimes I am overreacting.

Today I got my car back. They charged 3,20 Euro for a brand new rim and a brand new tyre.

I will ask BMW Hellas to check the rest 3 rims in order to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for all responses and replies to my first post.

Gretings froom sunny Greece

Olus
Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Glad that your problem is sorted out

Its also sunny here