E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CRACKED RIM - STYLE 138

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I would like to "salute" all forum members.
Unfortunatelly my first post to this forum has to do with a problem to my aloy cast rim caused a few days ago.
I was driving my 6 months old BMW520 on a country road (up on a mountain) in Greece with my wife and my two fifteen months old kids (twins). It was 12:45 am and I was driving the car with 60 kmh speed (kmh not mph).
In a right curve the right back wheel get out instantly from the road surface and came back at once. The road surface edge was very soft and next to road surface there was gravel not rocks and or holes. I stoped the car after 40-50 meters. The results ... you can see them in the attached photos.
CRACKED RIM - STYLE 138-dsc02220res.jpgCRACKED RIM - STYLE 138-dsc02221res.jpgCRACKED RIM - STYLE 138-dsc02222res.jpgCRACKED RIM - STYLE 138-dsc02232res.jpgCRACKED RIM - STYLE 138-dsc02242res.jpg

I searched the forum and I found out that similar problems appeared with 124 style rims.
I am waiting for the response from BMW Hellas. They have sent an expert to check the problem.
For your info my car wears the Dunlop "run flat" tyres (225/50/17)
I am going to ask BMW Hellas to check with ultrasound equipment all remaining 3 rims and issue a certificate that they are not defective.
If you have any coments I will be glad to hear them.

Thanking you in advnce
Olus
Old 04-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

OMG! and just just drove a right curve?!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Members

I am glad that you and your family are ok. If it indeed was a manufacturing default, I would ask for 4 new wheels just so that I feel safer driving the car. Good luck on this issue.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

your first post and its already sad :'(

i am sure that a solution will be found for your problem.

probably you will get new wheels

anyway u need to be grateful that you and your family are allright and welcome to the forum
Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

btw where are pics of your car?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

... got the same wheels and also runflats.

How many miles (kilometers) have you done in the six month you had the car ?

In any case please let us know what BMW has to say about this.

Is it just me who thinks that the poor ride the runflats provide may cause stress for the suspension / wheels ?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Exactly the same damage here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=rim+cracked

and here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=215544

and here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...indpost&p=81307

It appears like to be a Dunlop RFT tyre always there.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Not to point out the obvious but there is impact damage in the form of a bend in the inside edge of the rim at about the 2 o'clock position.

Perhaps your suspension masked what was a really hard hit on an object while you were off the roadway.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Originally Posted by Biff Trout' post='274892' date='Apr 27 2006, 02:54 PM
Not to point out the obvious but there is impact damage in the form of a bend in the inside edge of the rim at about the 2 o'clock position.

Perhaps your suspension masked what was a really hard hit on an object while you were off the roadway.
Agree. That wheel has been deformed. It has hit something hard and with force. The problem of alloy wheels, they can crack, but this shouldn't happen under anything but extreme conditions. Insist on new wheels and give BMW hell about this
Old 04-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Members

I agree. You shoud insist on a complete set of wheels and possbily non-run flat tires while you are at it.

Quick Reply: CRACKED RIM - STYLE 138