E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked Front Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

took the car outta the garaga yesterday to leave the house.....noticed a VERY straight horizontal line crack about 9 inches in length originating from the extreme right (passenger) side of the windshield...about in the middle....there are no chips or nix in the window....i am the only driver..nothing hit the window....there were no extreme temperatures overnite....probably 65 degrees from the night to the morning constant......anyone ever had to replace one...?? about how much am i looking at in cost...(545, 2005)....?? any chance on having dealer replace due to "defect" car is two months old yesterday? it's obvious it was not struck.....it originates at the end/edge of windshield and comes out straight toward the middle....??
also if i have to replace it, is it something i should do through the dealer or is it safe to have it done outside the dealer?

THANKS!!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nappyjack' date='May 31 2005, 05:13 PM
took the car outta the garaga yesterday to leave the house.....noticed a VERY straight horizontal line crack about 9 inches in length originating from the extreme right (passenger) side of the windshield...about in the middle....there are no chips or nix in the window....i am the only driver..nothing hit the window....there were no extreme temperatures overnite....probably 65 degrees from the night to the morning constant......anyone ever had to replace one...?? about how much am i looking at in cost...(545, 2005)....??? any chance on having dealer replace due to "defect" car is two months old yesterday? it's obvious it was not struck.....it originates at the end/edge of windshield and comes out straight toward the middle....??
also if i have to replace it, is it something i should do through the dealer or is it safe to have it done outside the dealer?

THANKS!!
[snapback]134789[/snapback]
sounds like a manufacturing fault to me...stressed glass.....straight fracture....I take it you don't have HUD, if you do, dealer is a must, if not....well I still wouldn't let the windscreen monkeys loose.....I'd push for warranty repair.

DD
Old 05-31-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nappyjack' date='May 31 2005, 10:13 AM
took the car outta the garaga yesterday to leave the house.....noticed a VERY straight horizontal line crack about 9 inches in length originating from the extreme right (passenger) side of the windshield...about in the middle....there are no chips or nix in the window....i am the only driver..nothing hit the window....there were no extreme temperatures overnite....probably 65 degrees from the night to the morning constant......anyone ever had to replace one...?? about how much am i looking at in cost...(545, 2005)....??? any chance on having dealer replace due to "defect" car is two months old yesterday? it's obvious it was not struck.....it originates at the end/edge of windshield and comes out straight toward the middle....??

THANKS!!
[snapback]134789[/snapback]
if there are no chips at all then your windshield WILL be covered by warranty. Take it to the dealer and you should be all set
Old 05-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Welcome to the club. You're not officially an E60'er until your first windshield replacement.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Members

takin it in tomorrow where i am told "the service manager will take a look and as long as it's evident it's a stress crack" they will replace under warranty...shouldn't be a problem since it's a straight line crack with no evidence of debris hitting the window....i'll keep posted regarding the results....

jj
Old 05-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

There have been many posts on this. Just do a forum search. This is somewhat common with the E60. Mine ended up with a big horseshoe shaped crack starting from the top and was replaced under warranty.

Originally Posted by nappyjack' date='May 31 2005, 04:22 PM
takin it in tomorrow where i am told "the service manager will take a look and as long as it's evident it's a stress crack" they will replace under warranty...shouldn't be a problem since it's a straight line crack with no evidence of debris hitting the window....i'll keep posted regarding the results....

jj
[snapback]134918[/snapback]
Old 05-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My windshield had a 15 inch horizontal crack on the drivers side, directly in the line of vision.

My insurance company replaced for free. No deductible. But, I live in Florida.... where all glass is $0 deductible by law.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Make sure they replace the sensors.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Members

just checked in with service rep....took car in this AM....windshield was replaced udner warranty as a "stress fracture"....while it was there i also had them install the AUX input......thanks to those who responded and "calmed my nerves"...it was a $700 job otherwise....jj