E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CPO questions.... oil filter housing leak ... etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO questions.... oil filter housing leak ... etc

Question here- Summary below-
So I know that CPO repairs are covered for a period of time... my question and concern is if the primary fault (oil housing leak) causes a secondary fault (the belt tensioner) will that be covered?

I had the oil filter housing and relevant parts replaced under the CPO before it expired (back in april)- it was leaking oil and pooling right next to the filter housing cap. The SA told me it was common event. So I was just taking a look under the hood and saw the oil was pooling/ leaking again. There is oil residue all over the place ... on the alternator, fan assembly, and the trouble I'm having with is the belt tensioner...

It seems as if oil got on the pulley attached to the tensioner and the belt is slowly slipping off. it's about 1/3 of the way off already and of course there is damage to the pulley too now.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

There should be a 2 yr warranty on the original repair if that is what is leaking a second time. It would seem to be logical that subsequent damage to other parts should also be covered. But we all know most dealers are not logical.
Is the tensioner actually damaged or soaked in oil? You may just need a degreaser of the tensioner and a new pulley. Clean the current pulley as best you can and keep it as an emergency spare.
GL
Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM
New Members

Soaked.... and damaged pulley. Probably need a new belt too. The slippage has caused the belt t rub on its self coming back the other way.

Appreciate the help!

David