E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CPO & front brake job

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Just drove 600 miles and brought the baby (CPO 530i with 19,000 miles) home. The car seems and drives great however,i noticed that the brake pedal has to be pressed down as if the pad life is not much. A friend made me see the service history from the menu and it said Front brake pads OK for 7000 miles and the rear pads OK for 10,000 miles.
So my question is,does that sound OK to you all ? How long does the pads lasts on a car that was just CPO'd ? I am planning on addressing this with the selling dealer tomorrow to see what he says ?
Btw can some one tell me about the cost of a brake job (pads/rotors) on a 530i at the dealer vs indy ? Recommendations for good parts store where to order them ?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fast
Just drove 600 miles and brought the baby (CPO 530i with 19,000 miles) home. The car seems and drives great however,i noticed that the brake pedal has to be pressed down as if the pad life is not much. A friend made me see the service history from the menu and it said Front brake pads OK for 7000 miles and the rear pads OK for 10,000 miles.
So my question is,does that sound OK to you all ? How long does the pads lasts on a car that was just CPO'd ? I am planning on addressing this with the selling dealer tomorrow to see what he says ?
Btw can some one tell me about the cost of a brake job (pads/rotors) on a 530i at the dealer vs indy ? Recommendations for good parts store where to order them ?
Thanks
A CPO BMW should have had the brake pads (and rotors) if worn more than a set level (I think 50%) If the service history reports 7K / 10K miles IMHO they should have been replaced as part of the CPO inspection prior to your purchase.

You should NOT be required to pay for services that should have been performed to bring the car to CPO "levels" ... Were you provided with the CPO inspection report when you bought this car?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

CPO Vehicle inspection checklist should show the measurement on the rotors/break pads. It should be on the first page.

I was told by a SA that the pads/rotors will only be replaced if they are under the minimum measurement. Mine was a CPO also. I ended up taking mine back to the dealer after 2 months of purchase and got my front pads replaced under the 4yr/50k warranty. Can't find my CPO checklist and don't remember what i-Drive showed back then.

When does your 4yr warranty expire?

Dealership will charge approx. $1k. I'd try an Indy shop or get pads/rotors from one of the vendors here and DIY.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
You should NOT be required to pay for services that should have been performed to bring the car to CPO "levels" ... Were you provided with the CPO inspection report when you bought this car?
CPO checklist is horse shit. in fact i don't think they do anything most of the time. i had mine a whole 3k miles and had an exhaust and cam solenoid that were blown, a leaky radiator, a bad CCC, 3 year old software needing upgrading, and low tire pressure. i might attribute the low tire pressure to normal driving of 3k miles, but all that other stuff going wrong in 3k miles is pretty damn coincidental.

they won't fix your brakes, but you can try! IMO it doesn't sound like a problem with break pads, maybe you are just low on brake fluid. i would definitely take it in and ask them to check into it. the key is always having them call you before they do anything. that way you know if CPO covers it or not before you get charged.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats

Any one knows what the pad and rotor thickness in a CPO program is ?
Thanks for all the replies
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

I purchased mine CPO'd and since the condition based services still said 2K prior to inspection, and 7K prior to pad replacements, they still would not change anything or even do the inspection. Basically, they live off the Condition Based Counter. Having said that, I purchased some Hawk pads and went to change them out. I noticed the sensor indicator with a slight shine and saw that it was about to trigger the brake light, yet, my CBS still said 7K for the front and 11K for the rear. Crazy.

Also, I doubt seriously you need new rotors, the pads will do. Having said that, your CPO Checklist as others stated, should show the measurements and if barely in spec, its still in spec when they sell you the car. Do I put stock in the BMW CPO program, not a chance. It is what it is.....
Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

My CPO checklist has 5mm printed on it above where the tech wrote down my thickness... it doesnt say whether 5mm is the minimum pad thickness or not but it does say 5mm... mine were 9mm front and 8mm rear when i got it.

Anyone know what the OEM brake pad thickness is on new M5 Pads? I'm curious to know what 8mm and 9mm translate to.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

The brake wear indicator lights up at 3.0 mm. The minimum thickness of the front brake rotor is 28.4 mm.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
CPO checklist is horse shit. in fact i don't think they do anything most of the time. i had mine a whole 3k miles and had an exhaust and cam solenoid that were blown, a leaky radiator, a bad CCC, 3 year old software needing upgrading, and low tire pressure. i might attribute the low tire pressure to normal driving of 3k miles, but all that other stuff going wrong in 3k miles is pretty damn coincidental.

they won't fix your brakes, but you can try! IMO it doesn't sound like a problem with break pads, maybe you are just low on brake fluid. i would definitely take it in and ask them to check into it. the key is always having them call you before they do anything. that way you know if CPO covers it or not before you get charged.
I'm saddened that that is your experience with BMW service ... it's exactly opposite my experience and I've been buying and driving BMWs for 25 years.

IMHO you should change dealers ASAP rather than paint them all with the same dirty mop.
But remember, that's only my opinion ...

If a dealer isn't following BMW's CPO Process and guidelines, a call to BMWNA is in order.
http://www.bmwusa.co...tification.aspx
Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Members

Had selling dealer email me the CPO check list and the front pads reads at 10mm and the rotors at 28.9 mm (min 28.4)
I was told by 2 other BMW service managers that as long as the rotors read above the minimal number,then they don't change it.
However even though on paper it reads fine but i have decided to take the car to the nearest dealer tomorrow and letting the shop forman drive it to see if it's normal or if it neeeds attention.
Thanks for all the replies.
I will start another thread with the picts.
Attached Thumbnails CPO & front brake job-dsc_04051.jpg  

Quick Reply: CPO & front brake job