E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cover/Fix Front License Plate Holes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i (E60) - Titanium Silver | Black Dakota w/ Bamboo Anthracite | Sports Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Navigation | Logic 7 Former: 1995 540i MSport (E34) - 6sp, B&M Short Shift | Dinan Intake | Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Chip 1987 325iC (E30) - sold

Hey guys - finally bought my "new" used '08 550i yesterday. I sooo badly want to get rid of my front bumper license plate holder. When I took it off it appears the license holder is held on by two screws directly into the front bumper. Obviously when I take it off there will be two "gaping" holes.

Any thoughts on best way to cover up the holes? On my old 540i I had two black push in tabs that were black that weren't that noticeable. At the time, short of having the front bumper taken to the body shop for touch up, folks would also take some little metal tabs with a flange backing used to bind paper (remember those old school binders!) and paint to color match their cars. Then they would pop them through the front and bend the flanges in the back to keep it nice and tight.

Any have any good recommendations to cover up these holes besides leaving the front bumper license plate holder on?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by a42kracer
Hey guys - finally bought my "new" used '08 550i yesterday. I sooo badly want to get rid of my front bumper license plate holder. When I took it off it appears the license holder is held on by two screws directly into the front bumper. Obviously when I take it off there will be two "gaping" holes.

Any thoughts on best way to cover up the holes? On my old 540i I had two black push in tabs that were black that weren't that noticeable. At the time, short of having the front bumper taken to the body shop for touch up, folks would also take some little metal tabs with a flange backing used to bind paper (remember those old school binders!) and paint to color match their cars. Then they would pop them through the front and bend the flanges in the back to keep it nice and tight.

Any have any good recommendations to cover up these holes besides leaving the front bumper license plate holder on?
Try this link: http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html has color matched plugs.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i (E60) - Titanium Silver | Black Dakota w/ Bamboo Anthracite | Sports Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Navigation | Logic 7 Former: 1995 540i MSport (E34) - 6sp, B&M Short Shift | Dinan Intake | Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Chip 1987 325iC (E30) - sold

You guys rock - thanks for the links!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Just don't get pulled over. I don't think that's a simple $10 fix-it ticket in California any more.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Members

I'm going to take my chances for a little while. I never include my front plates on any of my cars and have been "lucky" so far. Although my driving style 90% of the time is like that of 80 year old behind the wheel of an old buick...

BTW, gcvt, your car looks great!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the compliment

I was trying to find the new laws/fees that went in to effect this year, but I can't seem to find anything more than the California Vehicle Code which doesn't tell you about fees. As I understand it, they can attach fees in the neighborhood of $200 on tickets that were formerly just $20 or $25 fix-it tickets for things like tinted windows, missing front plate, etc. It's unclear which infractions are subject to these "fees". I doubt they apply to things like a burned out tail light bulb.

Anyway, just FYI for everyone in California.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by gcvt
Thanks for the compliment

I was trying to find the new laws/fees that went in to effect this year, but I can't seem to find anything more than the California Vehicle Code which doesn't tell you about fees. As I understand it, they can attach fees in the neighborhood of $200 on tickets that were formerly just $20 or $25 fix-it tickets for things like tinted windows, missing front plate, etc. It's unclear which infractions are subject to these "fees". I doubt they apply to things like a burned out tail light bulb.

Anyway, just FYI for everyone in California.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1584385
Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Members

I bought some bumper plugs for mine. They are a bit pricey considering what you are getting, but looks almost OEM. Not a bad purchase...
Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by a42kracer
I'm going to take my chances for a little while. I never include my front plates on any of my cars and have been "lucky" so far. Although my driving style 90% of the time is like that of 80 year old behind the wheel of an old buick...

BTW, gcvt, your car looks great!
Snap some pics of the new ride when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Cover/Fix Front License Plate Holes