E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Couple Questions/comments

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Have my car ('05 545i, Sport, Hud, CWP, Rear Shades) for about 10 days now. Here are a few comments/questions:

1. What I like: Well, ahem!. If I have to tell you, you need to look elsewhere for other cars

(granted these are minor gripes, but we all strive for perfection with this car right???!! )

2. What's up with the two programmable buttons on the Steering Wheel? Why can I assign only two tasks to these buttons and not tasks based on function? Right now I have them set up for mute/pause and phone directory. I should be able to assign two tasks to these buttons based on function. If I am in Entertainment, i should be able to use these two buttons for mute/pause and fav radio station. If I am in Navigation I sould be able able to use the buttons for...... you get the picture. Is that too much to ask?? Is it just me wanting this feature??

3. The passenger side rear view mirror tilts down on reverse. Mine tilts way down so much so that it isn't useful for me. I can't even see the bottom of the rear end of the car when tilted. I can see the passenger door handle and the ground. No way to adjust the amount of tilt?? anybody else have this problem?

'05 545i, Silver Gray/Black, Sport, HUD, CWP, Rear Shades
Old 03-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Mar 8 2005, 11:57 AM
3. The passenger side rear view mirror tilts down on reverse. Mine tilts way down so much so that it isn't useful for me. I can't even see the bottom of the rear end of the car when tilted. I can see the passenger door handle and the ground. No way to adjust the amount of tilt?? anybody else have this problem?

[snapback]98652[/snapback]

You can't adjust the ammount of tilt on the mirror, but you can turn the function off altogether - just throw the switch on the drivers door that selects which sideview mirror you wish to adjust.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Mar 8 2005, 11:57 AM
Have my car ('05 545i, Sport, Hud, CWP, Rear Shades) for about 10 days now. Here are a few comments/questions:

1. What I like: Well, ahem!. If I have to tell you, you need to look elsewhere for other cars?

(granted these are minor gripes, but we all strive for perfection with this car right???!!? )

2. What's up with the two programmable buttons on the Steering Wheel? Why can I assign only two tasks to these buttons and not tasks based on function? Right now I have them set up for mute/pause and phone directory. I should be able to assign two tasks to these buttons based on function. If I am in Entertainment, i should be able to use these two buttons for mute/pause and fav radio station. If I am in Navigation I sould be able able to use the buttons for...... you get the picture. Is that too much to ask?? Is it just me wanting this feature??

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum!

As far as your "gripe" with the steering wheel buttons, I see your point but there's another side of the argument that could say the exact opposite of what you're saying. In other words, if they implement your solution, there will be people saying "how come I can't program the steering wheel button to always mute the radio, no matter what screen I'm on?" Also, what function do you assign it if you're on the main menu? Again, I see what you mean but in my opinion, it's better to dedicate a function (or macro) to the button regardless of the current screen being displayed. (If you're on the screen already, how hard is it to use the iDrive controller to find the function you're looking for?)

The tilt mirror issue has been mentioned before and I agree that they should allow you to program and store the tilted postition into memory like M-B does.

Have fun with the new ride!
Old 03-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I have Radio Mute and Nav prompts programmed. if they would give me a PDC on I would replace Radio mute, since its almost as easy to push the volume knob.

I find the phone list pointless (tried it for a while). I prefer using the voice command to either dial the by name or requesting "TOP 8" . A failed voice recognition often takes you to the phone list anyway. Then you can scroll through it using the steering wheel +- button or just dial using the phone button.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Mar 8 2005, 09:57 AM

1. What I like: Well, ahem!. If I have to tell you, you need to look elsewhere for other cars?

(granted these are minor gripes, but we all strive for perfection with this car right???!!? )

I think the idea with the tilting mirror is to see the ground/curb when you are parallel parking.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 8 2005, 03:14 PM
I have Radio Mute and Nav prompts programmed.? if they would give me a PDC on I would replace Radio mute,? since its almost as easy to push the volume knob.

I find the phone list pointless (tried it for a while).? I prefer using the voice command to either dial the by name or requesting "TOP 8" .? A failed voice recognition often takes you to the phone list anyway.? Then you can scroll through it using the steering wheel +- button or just dial using the phone button.
[snapback]98710[/snapback]

There is a PDC button right next to the DSC button. Doesn't your's have this? Is this only for the 545i?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Mar 8 2005, 09:38 PM
I think the idea with the tilting mirror is to see the ground/curb when you are parallel parking.
[snapback]98713[/snapback]
Yep, and it works perfect on mine, and I am pretty tall...
PDC tells me what's behind the car, and the mirror shows me the curb and the rear wheel.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Mar 8 2005, 01:22 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Mar 8 2005, 03:14 PM']I have Radio Mute and Nav prompts programmed.?? if they would give me a PDC on I would replace Radio mute,? since its almost as easy to push the volume knob.

I find the phone list pointless (tried it for a while).? I prefer using the voice command to either dial the by name or requesting "TOP 8" .?? A failed voice recognition often takes you to the phone list anyway.? Then you can scroll through it using the steering wheel +- button or just dial using the phone button.
[snapback]98710[/snapback]

There is a PDC button right next to the DSC button. Doesn't your's have this? Is this only for the 545i?
[snapback]98720[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yup I have it. But when I nose into my parking space at work, I don't want to reach down there. Are we lazy or what?