E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cost of brake job

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:51 PM
DPN
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to have all pads and rotors at each of the four corners.

I'm getting a quote for $1000 out the door.

Does this sound right?

What's the going rate to have this done?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

I think it depends on which pads/rotors you are using and where you are getting them replaced at. I am assuming $1k is at an indy shop with aftermarket pads/rotors, but I could be wrong.

What I and many people have done is to get the aftermarket set from Actuteperformance https://5series.net/forums/topic/117...kages-for-e60/ and install it yourself or take it to an independent BMW shop.

In my area, indy shops would charge about $200-$250 for the install. Make sure to have the installer to clean the calipers with a brake cleaner when disassembled.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Banned

My Ride: E60 550i

E60 Brake parts (rotors, pads and sensors) will run around $440+ from us
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Parts_...E60-BRAKE.html

labor again would depend on your indy shop, $200+ to $400 max seems to be the norm... (or DIY....then go have a great dinner with the money saved!!)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

my buddy did my pads and rotors. i watched him do it. i definalty felt less of a man not doing it myself. it was so simple. id buy the brake kit from acute for 500 or so and spend a few hours with a freind and get it done for free
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Members

did mine for $350. included all 4 rotors and pads from some 3 seperate random vendors, sensors from e-bay, and break fluid pressure bleeder kit from Bavauto. Bolts are easy to strip so be carful. Its good to change out the Hex bolts anyways. when i did the job i found that one of the rattle plates was missing so i ordered a new one through ECStuning.

The hardest part of the job i would say is jacking up the car lol.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Members

it is not too hard to do yourself...... im sure there is a DIY on here somewhere.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it yourself. i'm no gear head and managed to do it. search this site and youtube for videos.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by juiceman456
when i did the job i found that one of the rattle plates was missing so i ordered a new one through ECStuning.
Rattle plate??? what is that?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Rattle plate??? what is that?
It's actually just a clip, dunno why i called it a rattle plate.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2008 550i 6MT. Matte black grille and numbers. Carbon roundels. Eibach springs and sway bars. Bilstein struts. UUC SSK. Smoked LED side markers.

Originally Posted by juiceman456
It's actually just a clip, dunno why i called it a rattle plate.
It's called a rattle plate because it keeps the pads from shifting in the calipers and rattling.

While I would never discourage anyone from working on their own vehicle, if you don't feel you are up to it, please don't try it. Brakes aren't the best thing to start with if you don't have any experience working on cars. My suggestion would be to at least watch someone who knows what they are doing before attempting it yourself. Two true stories about one of my neighbors:

We were outside one day and because he knew I worked on cars he told me about this noise he had ever since changing his front brake pads. I told him that some aftermarket pads may be louder than the stock ones, yadda yadda. He said "no, this is a really loud noise". I go over and look at his car. Through the spokes on the alloy wheel I can see the shiny spot on the pad where the caliper SHOULD be. He had either left one bolt loose, or forgot it altogether, and the caliper was swinging and hitting the inside of the wheel. I told him that the next time he should just get the parts and I would be glad to install them for him free of charge, as I have the proper tools and experience.

About a year later my wife and I are standing at the kitchen window looking at his house talking about the previous incident when I hear a loud bang and yell. His wife comes running out of the house. I meet her outside and she told me he was doing the brakes on their other car and the car fell on his ankle. He was using the scissor jack that came with the car to fix a flat to hold it up while he did the brake job and it fell over onto him. Not a pretty sight. I finished up the brake job while his wife took him to the ER.

I'm not saying you'll do what this guy did, just that brakes are obviously a safety item and you need to be careful.

Quick Reply: Cost of brake job