E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Corrosion/rust bubbles on window trim and mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've discovered a few bubbles under the left hand side mirror, and on my window trim on my left hand side.

I would say it's "Rust/Corrosion", and it should be covered under the Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Warranty, which is 12 years here in Denmark..

My dealer does not agree with me. The SA says that's the Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Warranty dosen't cover trims/shadow line etc. and it's only covering the body itself.

Have any of you had the same corrosion as I have, and did you dealer take care of it, as a warranty issue?

The car has ALWAYS been handwashed since we took delivery, 3? years ago, so these bubbles shouldn't occur.

This is the way it looks, under rhe mirror:

Corrosion/rust bubbles on window trim and mirror-foto_006.jpg

And on the trim, on the drivers door:

Corrosion/rust bubbles on window trim and mirror-foto_003.jpg

By the way: The car had it's rear bumper repainted, due to a scratch. Do you think the color match?? Even worse: Two of my PDC sensors are now working 1/3 times - I hate leaving the car to the dealer

The color difference:

Corrosion/rust bubbles on window trim and mirror-foto_009.jpg

Have a good weekend
Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

That sucks. Looks like corrosion to me, I think it should be covered by the warranty. To me the bumper looks a little more cold in it's tone.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Members

My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

I think the paint job on the bumper looks good. I'm sure the body shop didn't eyeball the color, they used the color codes for that car to get a near perfect match.

I would guess that if the paint looks a little "cooler," it is because of the angle of incidence of what it is reflecting. In the picture, 2/3 of the bumper (the bottom half) is reflecting the ground, which is darker and cooler (color temperature wise). The bumper looks much better where it meets the quarter panel, because it's reflecting the sky (same as the quarter panel).

Anyway... I think the paint looks good.

Sorry to hear about the corrosion. Seems like something the dealer should cover under warranty. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

i too found a small "tid bit" of corrosion on one of my door pillars on my '04 530 but its really small and im going to take care of it asap before it gets worse!

i believe it should be covered by the 12 year warranty on corrosion... i just might call them up to confirm this and if it is i will let them take care of it.

as far as the paint, it looks good... its impossible to match the color 100% so it will never be a perfect match no matter what, expecially when the car is 4 years old and the original paint has faded a bit. look around at photos of people that have changed their front and rear bumpers and you'll see the paint doesnt match perfectly either. its just the way it is.

dont sweat it, your car looks HOT

orlee
Old 12-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the answers

The color match on the bumper vs. the car is not a big deal, it's just irritating when you care about your car.

I will talk with my SA next week about the PDC-sensors, and about the corrosion once again.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Hi,
Concerning your PDC sensors : Although these sensors are originally "painted" in the car's color, they should be protected/removed before any re-painting job in order to guarantee correct PDC functions.
For the rust problem and unhappy about the dealer's answer, don't hesitate to contact directly BMW Denmark.

Cheers.

Etienne
Old 12-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

The sensors WAS removed, before re-painting, so I think the errors have something to do with the wires behind the bumper..

My next step in the progress it to talk with my SA once more, and if that dosen't help -> BMW Denmark right away...
Old 12-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I would push hard on this .There is no way that this should be ocurring. I trust you've bought this car vs lease..... they would not want this car back if it was on lease so they should fix it for you........Good Luck
Old 12-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='507207' date='Dec 15 2007, 05:32 PM
I would push hard on this .There is no way that this should be ocurring. I trust you've bought this car vs lease..... they would not want this car back if it was on lease so they should fix it for you........Good Luck
I agree with Jack on the bumper color match -- looks great via the pic and any difference is the angle. In person, maybe you notice something more. The corrosion issue is a definite bummer and hope that BMW takes care of it.
Good luck,
Cal
Old 12-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='507209' date='Dec 15 2007, 08:36 PM
I agree with Jack on the bumper color match -- looks great via the pic and any difference is the angle. In person, maybe you notice something more. The corrosion issue is a definite bummer and hope that BMW takes care of it.
Good luck,
Cal
I noticed a difference between the bumpers and body panels after washing my car a few months back, and have observed it on virtually all cars since. There appears to be a a slight optical difference with paint color on plastic vs metal .

Cheers

Quick Reply: Corrosion/rust bubbles on window trim and mirror