E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cornering Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='602520' date='Jun 14 2008, 07:11 AM
Go ahead doubters...have fun proving me wrong!!

Actually, what happens is that as soon as you turn the wheel or activate the turn signal at a slow speed, a hidden, sliding panel opens on the roof of the car and a telescoping arm (similar to the one on the space shuttle) with a flashlight on the end extends out over the car and illuminates the corner that you're about to drive around. It all happens so quickly that you actually never see the arm at all unless you are able to record it with super slow motion gear...

Isn't this a priority 1 option along with the flux capacitor???
Old 06-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='602627' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:51 PM
I thought it was Thing from the Adam's Family with a flashlight...
No, noo...geeez...
Don't you know that it was the same guy that developed Inspector Gadget's stuff who was involved in the E60/61 project!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

The cool thing about these cornering lights is that they recognise when you put the car in reverse, the opposite light illuminates. i.e. In drive, turn the wheel left, left light illuminates. In reverse, turn wheel left, right hand light illuminates, so you can see where the front end of the car is swinging to.

Only noticed this happen when the missus was pulling out of the driveway with the lights on and I was outside. From where I was standing, it looked like the wrong lamp was coming on. Breifly, I thought I'd got a trip to the dealer for faulty lights

Do these corner lights work when the main beam is on? Cos it doesn't look like it. Or it's possibly because those Xenon's are so bright in full beam, you can't tell
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='603581' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:24 AM
The cool thing about these cornering lights is that they recognise when you put the car in reverse, the opposite light illuminates. i.e. In drive, turn the wheel left, left light illuminates. In reverse, turn wheel left, right hand light illuminates, so you can see where the front end of the car is swinging to.

Only noticed this happen when the missus was pulling out of the driveway with the lights on and I was outside. From where I was standing, it looked like the wrong lamp was coming on. Breifly, I thought I'd got a trip to the dealer for faulty lights

Do these corner lights work when the main beam is on? Cos it doesn't look like it. Or it's possibly because those Xenon's are so bright in full beam, you can't tell
I haven't looked in a while but I thought that in reverse, with the wheels straight, both cornering lamps illuminate. I can't remember what happens in reverse as you turn the wheel but if both of them illuminate as I remember, I don't know why they'd turn either one off as the wheel turns...
Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='603584' date='Jun 16 2008, 02:36 PM
I haven't looked in a while but I thought that in reverse, with the wheels straight, both cornering lamps illuminate. I can't remember what happens in reverse as you turn the wheel but if both of them illuminate as I remember, I don't know why they'd turn either one off as the wheel turns...
I did a test to discover what was happening, and when in reverse with wheels straight, no lights on. Turned the wheels while stationary in reverse to the left, right light on. Turned the wheels back to straight, lights extinquished, cotinued turning to the right, and the left light switched on.

So, are both corner lights meant to be illuminated when in reverse? Because I'm pretty certain they wern't on with the wheels straight. But you saying that has certainly got me questioning myself.

Where is my Missus with the car, I need to check something
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Both lights illuminate when I throw it in Reverse. And yes, the turning lights do work when the headlights are on. Check it out next time you're turning onto a street at night. You'll see light hit the corner (not the AFS lighting.)
Old 06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Don't tell anyone this, as it is one of BMW's best kept secrets:

I was told by a BMW Munich engineer, that the camera systems of Night Vision and/or Lane Departure are actually also used to study the behaviour of anyone looking at the inner lights of your E60.
When you actively study them to understand their behaviour, the car will recognise that and it'll start lighting up the inner lights randomly just to confuse you. The main purpose is to keep away your attention from the robot arm that Rudy described.
Attached Thumbnails Cornering Lamps-e60_needle.jpg