E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant level too low message

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010 | 10:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Redneck
I guess what I'm really asking is about getting some coolant from my local parts house today. I read somewhere that there was a Zerex coolant that was the same stuff minus the blue die. I hate taking anything to the dealership. This is the same prick that told me I couldn't service my car because I could not reset iDrive. I changed my pads this morning for about $100 and they wanted $420 for the same job, and of course we all know how that we can reset the service intervals in iDrive. I'll buy what I have to from BMW but I'm not going to pay twice as much for the same stuff.
you should tell the sale guy to look at this forum and I bet he will treat you much better next time.
most dealer know that you can reset the service light from the idrive.
sounds like they just what to con ppl there.

for the coolant I am shore that you can get this stuff from out side or on the internet
Old 06-29-2010 | 03:19 AM
Members

Be careful on this one. BMW recommends using their mix and you can pull into any service center for a top-off. At least that's what I was told. If you can't make it use distilled water until you can.

Mine was losing water at a consistent rate but was not leaving any marks or puddles. My SA kept asking me to watch it but I grew tired of filling it and took it in for service where they pressure checked it and found nothing. Same problem... took it back and said they better find something... they replaced the hose. Same problem...watch it. Same problem... took it in and HEY, I needed a new radiator at a cost of $1000 because the car was 2k out of warranty. I challenged the cost because it was obviosly a problem I had for 3 YEARS! They said it was pressure checked when they replaced the hose and this must be a new problem. Grrrr. (Sterling BMW, VA)
Better luck to you!
Jim
Old 06-29-2010 | 04:02 AM
Members

Thanks Jim. I topped it off with distilled water (needed somewhere around a quart to make the stick rise all the way). I'm not worried at this point, The car could have easily been pretty low at purchase, and finally lost that last ounce to trigger the warning message. No doubt the coolant went somewhere, but will wait and see the rate it loses coolant now.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-29-2010 | 10:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cleung
I had a mysterious coolant loss in my e46 before. Turned out to be a minor leak due to a cracked hose, so when things heated up it would leak but because it was hot it would burn off once it hit the radiator so I never noticed any puddles on the driveway. In terms of topping up i recommend using bmw coolant and ensuring you mix only with distilled water.
Having issues with my e60, it's actually at the shop right now. I'd have to add coolant every other week. Anyhow just a couple days ago, there was coolant all over the garage floor. I'm assuming it's busted hose.

Just like most of the other memebers are saying, make sure you mix the coolant with distilled water.
Old 06-29-2010 | 05:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerfamily2010
Having issues with my e60, it's actually at the shop right now. I'd have to add coolant every other week. Anyhow just a couple days ago, there was coolant all over the garage floor. I'm assuming it's busted hose.

Just like most of the other memebers are saying, make sure you mix the coolant with distilled water.
some times it not just the hose.
2 members in HK have change the coolant box because of a crack, which is common not just e60 other bmw cars too
Old 07-07-2010 | 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Started the car this morning, got the low engine coolant message, dropped of my daughter at pre-school, started the car again and the message disappeared. Should I be concerned about any leakage or just top it off just to make sure the message doesn't appear again? I don't see any liquid on the driveway.

Thanks

RCT
Old 07-07-2010 | 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Started the car this morning, got the low engine coolant message, dropped of my daughter at pre-school, started the car again and the message disappeared. Should I be concerned about any leakage or just top it off just to make sure the message doesn't appear again? I don't see any liquid on the driveway.

Thanks

RCT
Top it off with distilled water when the engine is cold. If you start losing coolant again, then you should be concerned. Check your radiator hoses for cracks as a precautionary measure.
Old 07-07-2010 | 10:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk
some times it not just the hose.
2 members in HK have change the coolant box because of a crack, which is common not just e60 other bmw cars too
Just an update...got the car back from the shop:

-Auxiliary fan switch leaking coolant in lower hose - Lower hose replaced
-Coolant hose from expansion tank to back of engine leaking coolant - Hose replaced

A whole bunch of other stuff that was also fixed, but luckily covered by warranty.

Anyhow, GL with your coolant level. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-07-2010 | 06:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerfamily2010
Just an update...got the car back from the shop:

-Auxiliary fan switch leaking coolant in lower hose - Lower hose replaced
-Coolant hose from expansion tank to back of engine leaking coolant - Hose replaced

A whole bunch of other stuff that was also fixed, but luckily covered by warranty.

Anyhow, GL with your coolant level. Hope this helps a bit.
cool congrats
Old 04-08-2011 | 05:05 AM
Contributors

Had this message today, the dealer and my mechanic are quite far from my house and as it was low, I went to the nearest petrol station and used normal green coolant. That should be ok right?

Quick Reply: Coolant level too low message