E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant level too low message

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I just add some water to it? If not, what coolant do you put in the car? I didnt' know if it was anything special about it. Thanks as always!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Usually you would top off with a 50/50 antifreeze/water mixture. The bigger question is how did the coolant get low in the first place? That would worry me more.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Members

I agree. If it's only a very small loss that happens over a long period of time, I won't mind as long as it stays a small leak.

Anything special about the antifreeze?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

this is common that the coolant is low.
I had it 2 time in my old car and I just got the BMW coolant to top it up.
It userly happens in summer hot weather
this is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails Coolant level too low message-81229407454.jpg  
Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Distilled water is what should be used along with antifreeze of course (50/50 mix). Check on your coolant level periodically to make sure you don't have a bigger problem on the horizon.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Redneck
Can I just add some water to it? If not, what coolant do you put in the car? I didnt' know if it was anything special about it. Thanks as always!
Please add some BMW coolant fluids, not only water.

See your Manual, the coolant system may rust if only water is used.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Members

I guess what I'm really asking is about getting some coolant from my local parts house today. I read somewhere that there was a Zerex coolant that was the same stuff minus the blue die. I hate taking anything to the dealership. This is the same prick that told me I couldn't service my car because I could not reset iDrive. I changed my pads this morning for about $100 and they wanted $420 for the same job, and of course we all know how that we can reset the service intervals in iDrive. I'll buy what I have to from BMW but I'm not going to pay twice as much for the same stuff.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

most bmw dealerships do a courtesy top off for coolant fluid...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Contributors

You definitely need to investigate coolant loss ... check for leaks, hoses, cracks in plastic cooling parts etc etc ... If the loss is only a few ounces you can top off with distilled water in the interim.

BMW cooling systems are notorious for developing cracks in plastic parts - tanks etc. If you feel your local dealers are hosing you, look for a qualified independent BMW mechanic!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I had a mysterious coolant loss in my e46 before. Turned out to be a minor leak due to a cracked hose, so when things heated up it would leak but because it was hot it would burn off once it hit the radiator so I never noticed any puddles on the driveway. In terms of topping up i recommend using bmw coolant and ensuring you mix only with distilled water.

Quick Reply: Coolant level too low message