E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant leak (sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010 | 11:54 AM
Members

So, I found the source of the coolant leak on my wife's 525xi. It is leaking close to the lower hose. It looks like there is a leak right where the sensor plugs in. Does anyone have a BMW part number for the sensor? Or, perhaps, is this something I can get at NAPA/Advance?
Old 10-30-2010 | 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

I have the same problem on my 525i, I've got under the car and had a look, it seems to be leaking from the bottom right hand side of the radiator (as you look at it from the front) There is a cover around the radiator that seems to be all one peice, so looks difficult to remove, therefor I can't pinpoint the leak, but it's in this general area. Is it in the same area as the sensor?
Old 10-30-2010 | 02:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by thomas finlass
I have the same problem on my 525i, I've got under the car and had a look, it seems to be leaking from the bottom right hand side of the radiator (as you look at it from the front) There is a cover around the radiator that seems to be all one peice, so looks difficult to remove, therefor I can't pinpoint the leak, but it's in this general area. Is it in the same area as the sensor?
My leak is from the passenger side. If you look under the hood, you can see where the lower rad. hose connects to the lower radiator neck. On the neck there is a spot for the sensor (vertical from the neck). That is where ours it leaking. I can see the coolant coming out. However, there seems to be too much coolant on the ground to be coming just from that. I wonder if there is a secondary leak somewhere. I am going to pull the lower engine cover tomorrow to have a look.

I did stop at Advance Auto and they can get the sensor for $18.39 and a two day wait.
Old 10-31-2010 | 11:16 AM
Members

Pull the sensor out this morning. I could tell that is where the leak was coming from. As I wiggled it, more would come out the sides. Of course though, I couldn't find a parts store on a sunday that carried it. It is special order through the big box parts stores. I'll have to wait until Monday to pick up one from the dealership. I'm going to just change the lower hose while the coolant is out of it and I have it up on the lift.
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by kenallwine
Pull the sensor out this morning. I could tell that is where the leak was coming from. As I wiggled it, more would come out the sides. Of course though, I couldn't find a parts store on a sunday that carried it. It is special order through the big box parts stores. I'll have to wait until Monday to pick up one from the dealership. I'm going to just change the lower hose while the coolant is out of it and I have it up on the lift.
Go to pepboys or your local auto supply its like $15 max. I think I paid $9 at Kragen, basically its the o-ring thats bad.
Old 11-01-2010 | 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
Go to pepboys or your local auto supply its like $15 max. I think I paid $9 at Kragen, basically its the o-ring thats bad.
i agree, the O ring is what wears off. replace the O-ring and also you can apply silicon right above the o-ring which will seal it tight and prevent further leaks.
Old 11-08-2010 | 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

does anyone know what size the o-ring is so I can buy a new one without removing the old one first?
Old 11-28-2012 | 01:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 525i 2004
Engine: M54

i want to know the O-ring size too. i know where to buy a new O-ring , but first thing is the size. the outer diameter and the thickness, enough.
Old 11-28-2012 | 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: Gray 05' 545i

i believe the o-ring is green. i had the same issue and i replaced the sensor which came with the o-ring. but before i was able to replace it, i used teflon thread tape around the old o-ring for a week or so. it worked surprisingly well, not a drop on the belly pan.
Old 11-28-2012 | 03:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by kenallwine
My leak is from the passenger side. If you look under the hood, you can see where the lower rad. hose connects to the lower radiator neck. On the neck there is a spot for the sensor (vertical from the neck). That is where ours it leaking. I can see the coolant coming out. However, there seems to be too much coolant on the ground to be coming just from that. I wonder if there is a secondary leak somewhere. I am going to pull the lower engine cover tomorrow to have a look.

I did stop at Advance Auto and they can get the sensor for $18.39 and a two day wait.
I have the same issue in the same place! I found it the other day while cleaning the bottom of engine. It's so small that car doesn't get low on coolant though.
I'm sure I can replace the o-ring if I know the size or just order a whole new one at pepboys.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak (sensor)