E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant leak from overflow hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 545i
Default Coolant leak from overflow hose

So I brought in my car to the dealership for an oil change and they found a few things that needed attention. There is an active coolant leak from the overflow hose and they recommended replacing that along with the upper hose. They also found the right thrust rod bushing to be leaking.

I declined them fixing it as I'm sure any indy can take care of these for cheaper. Any ballpark price in fixing each item? Are they an easy fix?

Also, they recommended the rear brake pads be replaced. Idrive shows 21,000 miles left for the rear pads. Why is there a discrepancy?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
New Members

any ideas? also read somewhere that one of the lines around the radiator area is plastic and is prone to breaking. Can I replace it with one that is made with stronger material? I'll have to ask my tech
Old 06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
RTR
Members

What car is this? I'll answer some of the questions for 545i.

Coolant hoses: I'm not an expert with coolant hose names. Overflow - I assume it's the "vent" hose. ~$30 part. You might want to consider checking whether it always leaks. I saw coolant marks from my vent hose leaking and that's it. It only leaked once and I have no idea why (too much pressure in the system?).
Don't know what you are referring to with "upper hose", but the most expensive hose should be around $100 in the states.
If you need to drain coolant to change the hose - expect 1-2hr of labor.

If you need a tension strut bushing, it's a $30-40 part. Might want to consider replacing left&right.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by RTR
What car is this? I'll answer some of the questions for 545i.

Coolant hoses: I'm not an expert with coolant hose names. Overflow - I assume it's the "vent" hose. ~$30 part. You might want to consider checking whether it always leaks. I saw coolant marks from my vent hose leaking and that's it. It only leaked once and I have no idea why (too much pressure in the system?).
Don't know what you are referring to with "upper hose", but the most expensive hose should be around $100 in the states.
If you need to drain coolant to change the hose - expect 1-2hr of labor.

If you need a tension strut bushing, it's a $30-40 part. Might want to consider replacing left&right.
This is for a 545i. So to replace those hoses it should only be 1-2 hrs of labor? That's not too bad. Also, isn't there a plastic pipe that everyone recommends replacing? I read about it somewhere but don't remember the name. Is there a specific aluminum upgrade hose people use? Thanks for the response!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

Are you referring to the dreaded coolant transfer pipe that runs under the intake manifold and valley cover ?

Last edited by SlvrBmr545; 06-18-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 PM
New Members

Yes the service report says vent/overflow hose and upper hose. not the transfer pipe
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

The vent tube is plastic, it gets brittle and cracks. u can go to the hardware store get 1/4 inch aluminum tubing and replace the plastic one. its easy to replace. Its cheap and better than the original plastic one. u can pull the plastic one out.. Put a little grease on the aluminum tube and slip it back into the hoses. 15 minute job and your done.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM
RTR
Members

Originally Posted by ASpec818
This is for a 545i. So to replace those hoses it should only be 1-2 hrs of labor? That's not too bad. Also, isn't there a plastic pipe that everyone recommends replacing? I read about it somewhere but don't remember the name. Is there a specific aluminum upgrade hose people use? Thanks for the response!
Labor time really depends on the hose we are talking about. Without the part # I can't say which one you need replaced.

The vent tube is plastic, it gets brittle and cracks. u can go to the hardware store get 1/4 inch aluminum tubing and replace the plastic one. its easy to replace. Its cheap and better than the original plastic one. u can pull the plastic one out.. Put a little grease on the aluminum tube and slip it back into the hoses. 15 minute job and your done.
Interesting. Will the generic aluminum pipe corrode from coolant or not? If so, can't it damage cooling components (i.e. WP) in the long run?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RTR

Interesting. Will the generic aluminum pipe corrode from coolant or not? If so, can't it damage cooling components (i.e. WP) in the long run?
You are worried about an aluminum tube but not your aluminum engine block? That is why you run a specific coolant in your engine - to avoid aluminum corrosion.

But if you are still worried use copper tubing like I did (I think it was 5/16"). The copper tubing and two clamps were a whole $2.89.

And as HF said, a more permanent solution than putting the same plastic junk back in.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by RTR

I really don't think its a problem .. The coolant is specifically designed for aluminum engines, if u don't stray from BMW blue coolant its all good.. I highly doubt that it will corrode or cause any problems..

Quick Reply: Coolant leak from overflow hose