E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant leak, cant find...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

I'm praying to the vehicle Gods that this isn't the dreaded internal gasket leak that has plagued the older (01-03) 7 series M60 engines. But my "coolant level too low" indicator has come on twice now in the last few months, and I've had to top off the reservoir. I can't see any antifreeze under the car, or on the engine anywhere. The engine oil looks good if I pull the dipstick right after I've had the car running. Seemed to start after a very spirited drive a few months ago.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Is there a way that its the o rings in the quick disconnect hoses? Leaking just barely enough to notice then evaporating? Or same thing with the h2o pump?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I had a leak similiar to this. Loss of coolant but no trace of where it was going. Took it to the indy shop I frequent and had them inspect the car. Comes to find out the leak was on the back of the engine coming from the valley pan gasket. The shop used a scope to find it. Not sure if that is the same as what you referenced to. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

I'm going to get the car in the air and get the ol flashlight out with a mirror and look all around this car today. How does one remove the pan on the bottom of the car? Is there a way that the leak isnt the coolant pipe gasket leak? Like the e60 5 series M60's had an upgraged gasket there? I just would like to eliminate that one haha.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Members

Could always buy a dye kit from napa and use the light to find. Always works for me
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

You have a 545. There may be deterioration on a coolant vent tube that sits above the radiator. Reference part #10 in the RealOEM link below.

Coolant transfer tube

You can inspect this by removing the black metal covering above the radiator. If you've never changed this tube, it may have become brittle and prone to leakage. All 545i owners should change this tube if it has never been changed. The piece that runs above the radiator is made of plastic
Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

or confirm....
Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
You have a 545. There may be deterioration on a coolant vent tube that sits above the radiator. Reference part #10 in the RealOEM link below.

Coolant transfer tube

You can inspect this by removing the black metal covering above the radiator. If you've never changed this tube, it may have become brittle and prone to leakage. All 545i owners should change this tube if it has never been changed. The piece that runs above the radiator is made of plastic
I'm going to have to check that. That tube leads to another item that will have to be changed sooner or later, the coolant expansion tank. It never ends.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by stoic1
I'm going to have to check that. That tube leads to another item that will have to be changed sooner or later, the coolant expansion tank. It never ends.

Sigh...you're right. I've done em both. Fun, fun, fun.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by advancedlogic

Coolant transfer tube

^^^ Great tip. Very easy repair. Check this thread of mine: https://5series.net/forums/topic/102...1#entry1224981

You may not be seeing the leak because of the carriage undercover if you have one (sport pkg). But check also your coolant temp sensor at the bottom left of your radiator (facing the engine). It may only be a bad o-ring. Good luck

Quick Reply: Coolant leak, cant find...