E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009 | 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

similar problem - white smoke was coming from under the bonnet once engine reached working temperature - steam was coming for 5-10 seconds and then stopped.
a) thermostat replaced - problem persisted
b) took to the dealer - no problem detected after inspection
c) last week I took again the car to the dealer - coolant expansion hose and pump replaced, plus some other hose replaced. driving today - white steam in the morning again ....

Originally Posted by UTVol545i' post='1071037' date='Dec 9 2009, 11:59 PM
I just came out of CPO at the end of November..

I have been dealing with a coolant leak over the past couple months...I've taken it in each time I get the "Coolant too low" warning

--first time, about 2 months ago, they just top it off (I'm on my way out of town and figure it's just low anyway)... that works for a month or so,

--then it happens again after 3 or 4 weeks (still under warranty)...I take it in, they can't find any leak anywhere..they top it off. I have to take another road trip so that satisfies me again.

--get the warning again about a week later, they have the car all day and again they say no leak (still under warranty. So they replaced the tank float (I guess assuming it's sticking or faulty) and that works for another few weeks.

--Then about a day after I come out of warranty that "Coolant too Low" warning pops up again and I take it in. They have the car for about half a day and call me with a $480 estimate for cracked/leaking expansion tank hose... I laugh and ask them to fill it up with coolant and I'll be picking it up. I inquire that it's interesting I've just come out of warranty and now the problem is diagnosed, SA says he "thinks" they've given me that estimate before.. which is ridiculous because, A. I would remember that, and B. I would have obviously had it fixed and paid my $50 deductible..

lmao $480...

At this point, the leak is pretty bad because after they top it off, I get the warning the next morning and I check the tank and see no fluid at all

Just took it to an indy shop I picked after much research... same diagnosis, $235 out the door, after tax..
Old 12-10-2009 | 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

which left is it - when you stand in front of the car with the bonnet open or left when you sit in the car?

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1071083' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:47 AM
I had a coolant leak for 2 months. I was able to repair it myself. There is a radiator return hose which is on the left side, on that is a coolant sensor. I replaced both of those and it fixed it. I'd check that, those sensors can be known to leak so you may not need the hose too. It cost me like $80 total.