E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came out of CPO at the end of November..

I have been dealing with a coolant leak over the past couple months...I've taken it in each time I get the "Coolant too low" warning

--first time, about 2 months ago, they just top it off (I'm on my way out of town and figure it's just low anyway)... that works for a month or so,

--then it happens again after 3 or 4 weeks (still under warranty)...I take it in, they can't find any leak anywhere..they top it off. I have to take another road trip so that satisfies me again.

--get the warning again about a week later, they have the car all day and again they say no leak (still under warranty. So they replaced the tank float (I guess assuming it's sticking or faulty) and that works for another few weeks.

--Then about a day after I come out of warranty that "Coolant too Low" warning pops up again and I take it in. They have the car for about half a day and call me with a $480 estimate for cracked/leaking expansion tank hose... I laugh and ask them to fill it up with coolant and I'll be picking it up. I inquire that it's interesting I've just come out of warranty and now the problem is diagnosed, SA says he "thinks" they've given me that estimate before.. which is ridiculous because, A. I would remember that, and B. I would have obviously had it fixed and paid my $50 deductible..

lmao $480...

At this point, the leak is pretty bad because after they top it off, I get the warning the next morning and I check the tank and see no fluid at all

Just took it to an indy shop I picked after much research... same diagnosis, $235 out the door, after tax..
Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

Nice looking car!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I had a coolant leak for 2 months. I was able to repair it myself. There is a radiator return hose which is on the left side, on that is a coolant sensor. I replaced both of those and it fixed it. I'd check that, those sensors can be known to leak so you may not need the hose too. It cost me like $80 total.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1071083' date='Dec 9 2009, 06:47 PM
I had a coolant leak for 2 months. I was able to repair it myself. There is a radiator return hose which is on the left side, on that is a coolant sensor. I replaced both of those and it fixed it. I'd check that, those sensors can be known to leak so you may not need the hose too. It cost me like $80 total.
I saw your thread when I was searching for tips on this.... I just couldn't find my leak or I would have certainly tried... I even called my SA back to ask specifically where the leak was and got curiously vague.. really turned me off as far as my dealer experience..

oh well, live and learn.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Contributors

If I understand your timeline, the issue was raised while under CPO program but the dealer was unable to diagnose and repair? Is that a fair representation?

If that is the case I believe you have a legitimate claim and should present the repair bill to your BMW dealer for the work satisfactorily completed by the indy shop. I'd go for payment (- $50 deductible) AND an apology from the service department. Coolant leaks are annoying but not impossible to correctly diagnose and repair.

MY 2 cents worth.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributors

you do have some recourse with the dealer and bmw na because of the timeline, youll need documentation though

also keep in mind that most dealerships dont have mechanics that can fix a problem, they can only replace a part and they arent going to do that on their dime

hold on tight to your indie mechanic, he sounds like a straight shooter
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

I suggest you to look for a new SA, my SA covered a repair even after 3-4 months out of warranty.

You should bring it into a shop that has a pressure testing system to find where the leak is coming from. Then see what your options are from there. Most shops charge a pressure test fee but that can be waived if you have your repairs done by them. I had a coolant leak problem a month ago and did the pressure test. Turns out there was a crack in the coolant tank, the shop repaired mine for $235 that included a new tank, new coolant, and labor. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Don't let them get away with this. Look for the manufacturer rep for your region on the internet and take up this issue with him/her. Also, if you're a member of CCA, ask your ombudsman to intervene. G/L
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='1071313' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:33 AM
I suggest you to look for a new SA, my SA covered a repair even after 3-4 months out of warranty.

You should bring it into a shop that has a pressure testing system to find where the leak is coming from. Then see what your options are from there. Most shops charge a pressure test fee but that can be waived if you have your repairs done by them. I had a coolant leak problem a month ago and did the pressure test. Turns out there was a crack in the coolant tank, the shop repaired mine for $235 that included a new tank, new coolant, and labor. Good luck.
That's the thing.. this was my new SA.. had to ditch my initial SA because she was so inattentive and her communication skills were horrendous....but I digress

Shop I finally decided on after reading many reviews was Import Auto Mechanic, downtown Nashville, (just in case anyone in the area was curious) and they did a great job.. showed me around, they have all the requisite tech equipment and computers to be able to anything on an e60...etc. and performed the pressure test before and after repair. Very impressed and will using them from now on..
Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1071349' date='Dec 10 2009, 04:29 AM
Don't let them get away with this. Look for the manufacturer rep for your region on the internet and take up this issue with him/her. Also, if you're a member of CCA, ask your ombudsman to intervene. G/L
I will give it a shot for sure. I have saved any and all documentation. Thanks for the replies guys..

Quick Reply: Coolant leak