5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Control arm replacement (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/control-arm-replacement-109284/)

vuiihs 01-25-2011 01:22 AM

My 2004 525i was digonized yesterday and control arm was kinda loose.

The total came up with around 500 bucks including labor.

Then I came home, started to look the parts up, the original control arm costs 300 bucks, and the aftermarket one is only 100 bucks.

Is it DANGEROUS to replace with not an OEM one?

any idea?

Thanks!

sndohio 01-25-2011 01:40 AM

u can get OEm for lees then $300 Clicky :rtfm:

v_therussian 01-25-2011 02:17 AM

Call/email Garry Romani at BMW of Newport. He provides a standing discount to all forum members. I've used him many times and saved loads on parts. As for the work itself - I believe you should not skimp out on that. You may not need to go to a dealership, but be sure to use a reputable mechanic - not just the one with the best-looking cars in front.

And no, you do not want to use anything other than original parts when it comes to suspension. Trust me on this one - I've had situations where aftermarket control arms went bad in a matter of one day. It was in an Audi - granted, but it was enough for me to say "never again".

protams 01-25-2011 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by sndohio (Post 1297968)

fair pricing :)

vuiihs 01-25-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by sndohio (Post 1297968)

are those the original parts?

vuiihs 01-25-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by v_therussian (Post 1297972)
Call/email Garry Romani at BMW of Newport. He provides a standing discount to all forum members. I've used him many times and saved loads on parts. As for the work itself - I believe you should not skimp out on that. You may not need to go to a dealership, but be sure to use a reputable mechanic - not just the one with the best-looking cars in front.

And no, you do not want to use anything other than original parts when it comes to suspension. Trust me on this one - I've had situations where aftermarket control arms went bad in a matter of one day. It was in an Audi - granted, but it was enough for me to say "never again".

Thanks. Does he do shipping too?

luigi524td 01-25-2011 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by vuiihs (Post 1298006)
Thanks. Does he do shipping too?

Yes, Garry / Newport ships. You will be required (as a new customer) to provide documentation that may seem a bit over the top - but work with them ... they want to prevent being ripped off by credit card bandits.

leadfoot 01-25-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by v_therussian (Post 1297972)

+ 1 :thumbsup:

sndohio 01-25-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by vuiihs (Post 1298005)
are those the original parts?

Yes those are OEM and trust me that's the best price you can find :thumbsup: