E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering purchase of 545i - few specific questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a 545i quite soon, but have a few questions first.

Transmission

I would very much prefer a manual transmission, for the pleasure of driving it plus the added benefits of reliability, performance, and fuel economy. They are so rare! Should I expect to pay a premium for one or are they few sellers with m/t cars simply attempting to gouge?

Maintenance

In the past, I've maintained all my vehicles myself, from brakes and oil to engines and head gaskets. How much can be done on the 545i at home? I understand the computer systems can be a maintenance nightmare, and that coding can be done at home. Does that include things such as software updates? They seem astronomically expensive at BMW.

iPhone

I understand bluetooth call integration was not active until roughly 2005, though can possibly be activated on earlier models. Can this be done at home? Is the iPhone compatible?

Furthermore, I understand iPod integration is expensive and can't be done to all models. I'd probably be happy with an auxiliary input and cable, which models had aux in? Too bad there is no app to stream music over bluetooth as if it were an active call.

That's all for now, unless anybody has any tips on sourcing a black 545 with manual transmission and excellent condition. I've looked at Craigslist etc all over the continent and there are not too many available in the north west (I live in Vancouver, Canada).

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

usually the manual transmission cars are cheaper, due to less demand.

most basic maintenance and repairs can be done yourself. only if you start replacing modules and whatnot....you may need programming done.

ipod and aux input is an option and requires a cable and some programming.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i

I have a 45 manual and honestly my only issues have been clutch related, makes me think that if I had an automatic I would have been care free. In the past two years, I have done clutch/flywheel,master, slave and fork.

Besides this I haven't had one problem and my 45 is an 04, I don't regret getting M/T though, it's rare like you said and super fun to drive.

As far as working on the car, I am not hands on and take it to a local shop for everything.

As for the blue tooth, you can go to bmw for that, I'm not sure if it can be done at home.

The ipod integration you can buy here on the board or through John at Motorcepts.

I hope this helped, good luck on your search.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

It seems to me that BMW with manual transmission are more expensive than other cars
Becoase it took me a while to find one.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Members

I found my 2004 black 545 w/manual a few years ago at a Lexus dealership (Port Moody BC)--- just out of warranty. I knew there would be some expensive maintenance and repairs, but the purchase price was good, and I knew this was a rare beast--- even had an AC Schnitzer body kit. Got an adapter to attach iPod to aux, which is low-tech, but good enough for me.

For maintenance, now I take it to Brian Jessel AutoHaus (not the dealer), a spin-off shop to deal with BMWs and other Euro cars past warranty. Unlike a dealer, they let you bring in aftermarket parts rather than be a slave to the OEM.

BMW 545 with manual is serious fun (get the Clutch Delay Valve replacement)
Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I do not want to hijack OP's thread but I also do not want to start new one . I have a question to Timmer about that Clutch Delay Valve you mentioned. I did a quick search about it and got idea what this thing is all about but still not sure if it is worth the time and money. I got the 545 recently and it has 92k miles but i do not know if the Clutch Delay Valve was replased. But it seams to me that the clatch is hard to depress and takes my leg mussels to keep it depress. Is that the way it should be? Replacing that Clutch Delay Valve will smoothen it? Have you or other members done it and notice improvements?
Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I replaced CDV and I think it's worth it. It doesn't improve clutch heaviness though. It improves engagement feel.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, sport/ premium package, manual transmission, black on black. No add ons yet. Outstanding shape!

Hi,

I may consider selling my 05 545i.

I am the second owner of this vehicle, original owner traded it in at 88.4k miles for a brand new 5 series. I picked it up from Dave Walters BMW dealership in Akron, as a weekend drive vehicle. I've babied this vehicle for the past 4 months and wax it at least every month.

I've driven it less than 2000 miles so far.

Let me know if you're interested and I can share with you more details.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Hi,

I may consider selling my 05 545i.

I am the second owner of this vehicle, original owner traded it in at 88.4k miles for a brand new 5 series. I picked it up from Dave Walters BMW dealership in Akron, as a weekend drive vehicle. I've babied this vehicle for the past 4 months and wax it at least every month.

I've driven it less than 2000 miles so far.

Let me know if you're interested and I can share with you more details.
I'll trade you for my automatic
Old 08-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Threadjackers

CDV duly noted.

Is there anything within the iDrive I can check myself to help determine the condition of the vehicle?

I've found an 04 which means no BT and difficult ipod integration but I can get my coveted 6 spd.

Quick Reply: Considering purchase of 545i - few specific questions