E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering buying a 2008 550i

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering trading in my subaru legacy 2.5 gt limited for a 2008 550i with 63000 miles...

I have a couple of concerns though...
So, first off, the amount of miles is somewhat high at 63k, the dealer said for 3.5k I think that he can cover absolutely everything including oil changes/anything that needs to be fixed up to 100k. Should I get that? Never had a bmw before, so not sure what cost of maintenance is and all that.

The carfax seems good-2 previous owners, a lease and then a second owner who bought it CPO and drove it till the current mileage.

It's had 13 Services recorded. Should I put all the things they've done it to on here? Would that help?

So; the cost is 32k with another 2.5k in taxes/fees. That doesn't include the warranty and they're offering me 23k for my trade-in. Though, I was playing hard to get and they said they can do a better deal-so not sure how low they'll go...What do you guys think is a fair price for this car at this miles? The car seems in really good shape and feels amazing in the test drive.

Is there a glaring reason to not buy this car at this high of a mileage?

Thanks,
Bernie
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Members

Just note that's it's automatic with sport package, navi, paddle shifters.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Bernie, if the car was a real CPO, you should have a CPO warranty till 100k. The coverage goes with the car, not the driver. I would really check this before you buy an 08.

Also the 3.k extra is the classic maintenance package which is a ripoff usually, especially if the brakes have already been replaced around 50k.

The price may be just fine for a CPO, but definitely high if it's not a CPO.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Make sure you look close at all the service that has been done to the car prior.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

The price seems a little to high if its not CPO. If you guys do make a deal you will love the car, i have a 08 550i also.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Members

This is going to be a massive wall of text with the carfax maintenance records, here goes:

9480: Automatic transmission checked; radio/sound checked

13,053: maintenance inspection, cavin air filter replaced, oil/filter, everything checked.

14,015: ext. light bulb replaced, and everything checked.

16,957: cabin air filter replaced, wipers replaced, brake fluid flushed/changed, everything checked.

24,076: oil/filter change, rear brake pads replaced

28,478: fog light assembly replaced, everything checked

29,017: Offered for sale as BMW CPO

29,029: SOLD as CPO

36,294: oil/filter changed, spark plugs replaced, everything checked.

38,923: inspection of tires, maintenance, electrical

47,106: everything checked; brake fluid flushed/changed, cabin air filter replaced.

63,546: passed emissions.

So...It seems it is a CPO as it it will stay with the car as you guys said till 100k and it seems you guys suggest not to get the added warranty.

From reading all the changes though, the tires have never been changed(that doesn't seem good) and the rear brake pads were changed at 24000 miles and not again. Test drive, they seemed fine though.

I was thinking of offering like 28.5k, probably up to 29.5k for the car, using the tires/brakes as selling points...Also, I can safely pass on this as I have an awesome subaru which has less miles and everything, so I'm not too worried if they won't make it work.

Opinions?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I like you're thinking, I'd tell the dealer $29,500 out the door price and be done with it. With that mileage they will not have buyers lined up out the door. Skip the "maintenance warranty" they are trying to sell you. If you buy it take it to a different dealer and ask if the car has it. When I bought my car I turned down the extended maintenance only to find out later I had it anyway. Dealers will always try to rip you off.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

As for trade in - try carmax to get a second opinion on your car. They actually will pay you a decent amount from my experience. Dealership will most likely match the carmax quote if you show them the paperwork for your trade in.

Note that CarFax does NOT show all the work performed. For example, carfax showed only 1 record of my car when purchased, but BMW was able to pull about 5 records performed by 2 different BMW dealerships. As such, I would advise you to have the sales person get you the details of the car if this is at a BMW dealership. Unsure if they are allowed to give you the printout, but they surely can show and pull the info upon your request.

Ask them to show you the i-drive for how soon your brake pads/oil change/etc are coming up for service.

If concerned about tires - I would also take a tire measurer (or a penny) and see how much thread life you have left on the tires. When doing so, measure the inner side as these cars have negative camber and inner thread will wear out faster. Tire measuring tool can be purchased on ebay for a few dollars and will come in handy in the future. Further, note that replacing staggered 19' tires for the 550i can be costly and worn out tires may be a bargaining chip for you. Unless the second owner replaced tires, I would assume you may need a new set looking at the mileage on the information provided above.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by pjinca
I like you're thinking, I'd tell the dealer $29,500 out the door price and be done with it. With that mileage they will not have buyers lined up out the door. Skip the "maintenance warranty" they are trying to sell you. If you buy it take it to a different dealer and ask if the car has it. When I bought my car I turned down the extended maintenance only to find out later I had it anyway. Dealers will always try to rip you off.
+1 This is a much more accurate price for the car.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Members

I got my 08 550i m sport
no nav, no logic for $32k with 52k miles.

I say buy it. Only down side for this car is the lack of available mods for it and NO limited slip differential.

If you dont like performance mods, youll be fine.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a 2008 550i