E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering 550 for the first time. Advise needed....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Folks-
So, I've been a 3 series owner for many years and many cars. Driving a 325i Step right now. Lease is out this year (summer) and I of course assumed I'd go with the e90. Nice car. I've driven it a couple times. I've also tested the 5 for the first time. Really not hating it. I thought the bigger the car, the less fun it would be to drive. After hitting a sweet 550 the other weekend I'm not convinced that's true. I LOVED it. The main reason I even looked at it is that it's bigger than my 3 and I've got 2 kids and would love a bit more room in the car. I can swing a lease patment no sweat. My question is, have any of you gone from a 3 to the 5? Any regrets?

Alec
Old 03-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Haven't switched from a 3 to a 5, but I have driven smaller cars in the past. I have two kids and it works great - trunk capacity and leg room makes it a very usable four person car while still fitting into most parking spots, etc without any problem. Once you get used to the 5 it definately doesn't feel too big to drive or park.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Haven't switched from a 3 to a 5, but I have driven smaller cars in the past. I have two kids and it works great - trunk capacity and leg room makes it a very usable four person car while still fitting into most parking spots, etc without any problem. Once you get used to the 5 it definately doesn't feel too D big to drive or park.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: CURRENT 2005 M3 - Silver on black, Leather, Sport Package, SMG, PDC. (wife) 2004 545i - Black on Gray, Leather, Steptronic Transmission, Sport Package, Navigation, Active Steering.

Originally Posted by caesar' post='257375' date='Mar 19 2006, 02:02 PM
Hey Folks-
So, I've been a 3 series owner for many years and many cars. Driving a 325i Step right now. Lease is out this year (summer) and I of course assumed I'd go with the e90. Nice car. I've driven it a couple times. I've also tested the 5 for the first time. Really not hating it. I thought the bigger the car, the less fun it would be to drive. After hitting a sweet 550 the other weekend I'm not convinced that's true. I LOVED it. The main reason I even looked at it is that it's bigger than my 3 and I've got 2 kids and would love a bit more room in the car. I can swing a lease patment no sweat. My question is, have any of you gone from a 3 to the 5? Any regrets?

Alec
I have had two three sereies cars and still have the M3. The jump from 3 to 5 is awsom not to say the increased power as well.

The 550 is an sweet ride. And if you have not had a ride in one yet... then do so. After the ride you will not want to get out of it!!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by caesar' post='257375' date='Mar 19 2006, 02:02 PM
Hey Folks-

Alec

I went from an '01 330i to an '04 530i and I've had zero regrets. Although I don't know if I can make the best comparison because for 2 years in between I had a Dodge Ram 1500. I needed something bigger to haul my stuff for college. I'm still in college now but I decided that I don't need as much stuff.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Hi Alec,

I went from a 330i to a 530i and now a 550i. I would never go back to a 3 because of the size. I was really hesitant to go to a 5 because I thought I would miss the sporty feel of driving a smaller car but trust me the 5 still drives sporty especially the 550i!!!! I seriously see no way you could regret getting this car, it is a blast to drive. I have two kid's as well and there is plenty of leg room for them. You still can't fit anyone else inbetween the two car seats...maybe another small child that is older and doesn't need a car seat. Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by caesar' post='257375' date='Mar 19 2006, 10:02 PM
Hey Folks-

Alec
I have had a 316, 323 coupe, 318 touring. 320cd sport and 320 cd se in a straight run over the last 7 years, so I guess I have some comitment to the 3-series!

I now have a 530d and ... initially, it seemed like a big heavy car. The extra room is immediately apparent and great with 2 small kids complete with car seats.

Once you get used to the e60 though, you realise that, heavy or not it goes round bends extremely well.

I think my 530d actually handles better, than my 320cd. It's not as 'nimble' but it is more composed and balanced.

A 550 is a MASSIVE leap from a 325 - guess you have fallen on good times - and I don't think you are likely to regret it.

Obviously fuel consumption will increase going from a tight 2.5 litre v6 to a NASTY 5 litre v8. But if that really bothered you then you wouldn't be looking at a 550 would you.

I hope you go for it and enjoy the e60.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by caesar' post='257375' date='Mar 19 2006, 05:02 PM
Hey Folks-

Alec

I switched from a e46 3er to the 545i and have absolutely no regrets. Love the power of V8 and extra space (2 kids also). Also, 3 series are everywhere being the"starter" BMW and I like to be distinctive on the road. While I loved the 3, I would not go back.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Welcome to the forums.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Dude, just get one! You won't be sorry!!

Quick Reply: Considering 550 for the first time. Advise needed....