E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering 2006 525xi

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525XI silver/grey

I'm closing in on the bank loan for a 2006 525xi owned by my sister and comes with the Warranty package. This car is in mint condition as my sister is very meticulous about her cars. The color is grey metallic, black interior and has new tires. I'm looking for issues of concern as I've read quite a few forums and the only drawback is the lack of HP for this model 2.5 3liter motor.

I'm at an age where I don't hot rod around anymore so I don't need the racing power. As long as there the pickup when entering the freeway and I need to hit the pedal to merge into the lane.

The vehicle was sideswiped at an intersection by a wide landscape truck and scratched along the passenger side and mirror ripped off. There appears to be a good repair but I'm concerned about the body work and paint quality compared to true German workmanship.

This is a truly beautiful vehicle and I?m hoping to hear back from fellow forum members regarding know issues to be concerned about. The purchase price is below Edmunds/KBB numbers as she?s asking 21K.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I don't know where you live, but if you live in the snow belt, you're going to love driving this beast in the snow. Those are the days that you can really own the various 535s, 5455s, 550s, and M5s. As for the lack of HP, I don't think 215HP is too shabby. Top speed is limited to 145MPH just like its more powerful brothers except for the M5 that is limited to 155MPH.

Aside from the transmission slam (which seems common on all 5 series) I have had no big issues with this car in the one year I have owned it. It is quick enough to get out of his own way while merging on the highway and I have taken on many "regular" cars with much success. It is fun to drive, the handling is to die for and it is a gas sipper instead of a gas hog. You can be green and stylish too while diving this car.

If the body work was done right, the previous damage shouldn't be an issue especially if you are getting a great deal. Go for it.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Members

I have an 07 525xi. I average about 25,000 miles a year, mostly highway and the car is fine. It is not a rocket, but it has more then enough pick up to be considered safe. Take it for a ride and see what you think. You ask the question here and everyone with a 535 or a 550 will say it is underpowered. What matters is how it feels to you and how it suits your driving style. I have driven the other models and there is a difference but the 525 works fine for me.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Contributors

I got 2004 525i. Still loving it! Own for 3 years now
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by gmcc' post='1043196' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:00 PM
I have an 07 525xi. I average about 25,000 miles a year, mostly highway and the car is fine. It is not a rocket, but it has more then enough pick up to be considered safe. Take it for a ride and see what you think. You ask the question here and everyone with a 535 or a 550 will say it is underpowered. What matters is how it feels to you and how it suits your driving style. I have driven the other models and there is a difference but the 525 works fine for me.
Honest to God, I test drove the same year 530XI as my 525XI and could not detect $2000 worth of extra "power" so I decided to take the 525XI and have loved it for the whole year I've owned it.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525XI silver/grey
Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1043212' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:44 PM
Honest to God, I test drove the same year 530XI as my 525XI and could not detect $2000 worth of extra "power" so I decided to take the 525XI and have loved it for the whole year I've owned it.
Thanks to the forum members who replied and that's the input I was hoping to hear. Looks like I'm about two weeks from having the car in my driveway as the bank is telling me I'm good to go. Of course the process is moving slowly as I live in CT my sister in PA and my old credit union in California. Patience is going to be a virtue in this case.

I spoke to my sis last night and she was noting some additional features about the car and admitted she takes advantage of only 10% of the features, bells and whistles. Head lights that move with the vehicle, how cool especially when I live out in the CT backwoods and have many corners to deal with.

I'm eager to find an owners manual in preparation for the purchase so I'm up to par for setting things up and gearing up for possession. I wonder if I can download the manual anywhere off the Internet.?

Are the cup holders that much of a nuisance? I noticed some very nice after market rims on the forum. Anyone have a good URL identifying excellent rims for a great price?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

i lived in CT as well. i bought my 2006 525XI this past May for $22,900 (no extended warranty). it had 42,000 miles at that time. i love the car. i actually bought a set of 123 wheels on this forum but then sold them to another member on this forum. i then bought a set of 19" VMR VB'3 staggered from the E90 forums. that's a good place for used wheels on a XI car. best of luck.

Jason
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Silver525xi' post='1043564
i lived in CT as well. i bought my 2006 525XI this past May for $22,900 (no extended warranty). it had 42,000 miles at that time. i love the car. i actually bought a set of 123 wheels on this forum but then sold them to another member on this forum. i then bought a set of 19" VMR VB'3 staggered from the E90 forums. that's a good place for used wheels on a XI car. best of luck.

Jason
Wow, you got a great deal!!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Silver525xi' post='1043564' date='Oct 30 2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks to the forum members who replied and that's the input I was hoping to hear. Looks like I'm about two weeks from having the car in my driveway as the bank is telling me I'm good to go. Of course the process is moving slowly as I live in CT my sister in PA and my old credit union in California. Patience is going to be a virtue in this case.

I spoke to my sis last night and she was noting some additional features about the car and admitted she takes advantage of only 10% of the features, bells and whistles. Head lights that move with the vehicle, how cool especially when I live out in the CT backwoods and have many corners to deal with.

I'm eager to find an owners manual in preparation for the purchase so I'm up to par for setting things up and gearing up for possession. I wonder if I can download the manual anywhere off the Internet.?

Are the cup holders that much of a nuisance? I noticed some very nice after market rims on the forum. Anyone have a good URL identifying excellent rims for a great price?
You'll enjoy your new to you 525xi. It would be useful to obtain the original window sticker or have a BMW dealer run the VIN so you know what options are installed on your car. And the forum manual is helpful because you can search the PDF easier than thumbing thru the hard-copy. Your sister can tell you what service and warranty maintenance was done on the car or the dealer can pull those records too.

As for wheels, the xi wheels have a different offset than other e60s so they are not interchangeable. There are lots of posts about the topic.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:32 AM
Members

Do a search for "neat tricks" There is a thread that is over 20 pages long with a lot of useful info. There are a lot of featurs on these cars that you don't see in the manual.

Quick Reply: Considering 2006 525xi