E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering '07 530xi Sedan > Need advice ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='509596' date='Dec 22 2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your post.

I too have considered the 535 but backed away for 2 reasons:

Cost: I don't lease. As painful as it might be, I hammer out the best deal and write a check. The 535 as I would want it equipped is just overpriced in the market. Yea I've been a BMW guy for 2+ decades but the last time I spent $63K it got me into a new 7 series. Today replacing a 7 with a 7 would cost me 65 big ones after my trade! Sorry to say I'm neither a lawyer nor or a physician, nor will I pass the cost of an overpriced car to my clients.

Reliability: I'd wait a couple of model years to let BMW shake this one out. BMW makes great engines but they have notoriously weak drive-trains (unless it's a manual transmission). My spouse might drive this one every now and then and she's shiftless!

I toyed with dropping from a 7 to the 335 coupe too ... really pretty and a great driver, but too small. Price point is more attractive than comparably equipped 535 and the car has had an edge on reliability.

Oh well, it's off to try and spend some $$$ I may have to close my eyes and point!
Hello and Welcome...Please do yourself a favor and get the BMW. There just is no comparison between the two. The infiniti is trying its best to mimmick the BMW, that is there goal...Its just an imitater. If you go the infiniti route, every time you see the E60 on the road you will be reminded you made the wrong choice. If you werent a BMW man, it may have been different. Its to late for you, there just isnt any other car like it!!! Buy it, Drive it, Love it!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='509429' date='Dec 21 2007, 10:28 PM
I haven't had a 5'er since my 524TD ... boy do I wish I had that e28 now!

But now after two 7'ers I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 530xi sedan with 10K miles and a full load of options ... Sport, Premium, Nav, PDC, Comfort Access, Heads-up, and the list goes on.

The car has the BMW Maintenance pkg but isn't coming from a BMW store so there is no chance to get it "certified".

That said, after dealing with an e32 and e38 with their expensive maintenance and repairs I'm weighing the option of going to an 2008 Infiniti M35 AWD with similar options, comparable performance, but better reliability. (BUT it's not a BMW ?!?!?)

I've been a BMW owner and driver for more than 20 years and the thought of driving something else is keeping me awake at night. My 2001 e38 is real sweet to drive ... but just crossing over to 90K miles and it's inevitable that it's going to start costing me some reliability pain (cooling system replacement, suspension R&R, Tranny service, etc etc etc.)

Opinions are welcome ... PLEEEZZE!
Lou
1986 524TD
1994 740i
1998 Z3 2.8
2001 740i
Just about done

I should be able to free up tomorrow and pick up the 2007 530xi. It's one of the few I've found in the color combination I prefer (dark blue ext / tan interior).
It's loaded and I've been spending any free time reading the owner's manual (the pdf is available on my BMW Owner's website. I do need to explore the Logic7 system and look for the Ipod connection. And it's got a phone eject box for a different phone than what I have. So, I'll probably replace that with the plain insert. (There doesn't seem to be a fitment for my Moto MAXX but I don't find it mandatory to connect the phone in my e38 and usually just leave it in my pocket and rely on BT to connect.)
Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='509596' date='Dec 22 2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your post.

I too have considered the 535 but backed away for 2 reasons:

Cost: I don't lease. As painful as it might be, I hammer out the best deal and write a check. The 535 as I would want it equipped is just overpriced in the market. Yea I've been a BMW guy for 2+ decades but the last time I spent $63K it got me into a new 7 series. Today replacing a 7 with a 7 would cost me 65 big ones after my trade! Sorry to say I'm neither a lawyer nor or a physician, nor will I pass the cost of an overpriced car to my clients.

Reliability: I'd wait a couple of model years to let BMW shake this one out. BMW makes great engines but they have notoriously weak drive-trains (unless it's a manual transmission). My spouse might drive this one every now and then and she's shiftless!

I toyed with dropping from a 7 to the 335 coupe too ... really pretty and a great driver, but too small. Price point is more attractive than comparably equipped 535 and the car has had an edge on reliability.

Oh well, it's off to try and spend some $$$ I may have to close my eyes and point!
1997, 2004 and 2010 will be years to avoid. The 535 is mid-life cycle and the engine has been around for more than a year and a half now in the 335. It should be pretty safe.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='510853' date='Dec 26 2007, 07:11 PM
Just about done

I should be able to free up tomorrow and pick up the 2007 530xi. It's one of the few I've found in the color combination I prefer (dark blue ext / tan interior).
It's loaded and I've been spending any free time reading the owner's manual (the pdf is available on my BMW Owner's website. I do need to explore the Logic7 system and look for the Ipod connection. And it's got a phone eject box for a different phone than what I have. So, I'll probably replace that with the plain insert. (There doesn't seem to be a fitment for my Moto MAXX but I don't find it mandatory to connect the phone in my e38 and usually just leave it in my pocket and rely on BT to connect.)
Sounds like you're ready to go. At this point, it doesn't matter but as an FYI, the owner's manual (as well as some other things) is available on the information page of E60.net!

http://www.e60.net/information/
Old 12-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='510894' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:03 PM
Sounds like you're ready to go. At this point, it doesn't matter but as an FYI, the owner's manual (as well as some other things) is available on the information page of E60.net!

http://www.e60.net/information/
Thanks Rudy,

I am ready to bite the bullet and will likely pick the car up tomorrow.

I've visited the info pages of the website but since the 2007 model year owner's manual isn't there I pulled it down from http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

There do seem to be several well informed and knowledgeable contributors in this forum but I'll get more involved once I've started to sort out the new car. The iDrive menus are complex so it may be a few days before I dig in and try to figure out how everything works. I'll be sure to ask for help (AFTER I've checked the owners manual and forum for previous posts!).
Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='510907' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks Rudy,

I've visited the info pages of the website but since the 2007 model year owner's manual isn't there I pulled it down from http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

There do seem to be several well informed and knowledgeable contributors in this forum but I'll get more involved once I've started to sort out the new car. The iDrive menus are complex so it may be a few days before I dig in and try to figure out how everything works. I'll be sure to ask for help (AFTER I've checked the owners manual and forum for previous posts!).
I just noticed that the 2007 manual isn't available on that page. If you save a copy of it and attach it to a post (or a private message to Lomag) we can add it to that page...

I'm sure in no time you'll be one of the many knowledgeable forum members/contributors -- you're already off to a good start since you found this place and are spending some time reading the manual and the forums...
Old 12-27-2007, 02:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='510907' date='Dec 26 2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks Rudy,

Congrats - great color combo Don't wait to post pics - must have pics
Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='510913' date='Dec 27 2007, 12:31 AM
I just noticed that the 2007 manual isn't available on that page. If you save a copy of it and attach it to a post (or a private message to Lomag) we can add it to that page...

I'm sure in no time you'll be one of the many knowledgeable forum members/contributors -- you're already off to a good start since you found this place and are spending some time reading the manual and the forums...
Here's the Owner's Manual for the 2007 530xi
Attached Files
Old 12-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

luigi, welcome and smart choice sticking w/BMW
not to mention with a little coaxing from Rudy, once you entered and asked on this board you were never gonna see the inside of that infiniti or roadfly....
Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='510989' date='Dec 27 2007, 09:24 AM
Here's the Owner's Manual for the 2007 530xi
Thanks for attaching the manual -- unfortunately, that looks to be the same manual (from 02/07) that's posted under "2008" on the forums. Maybe we need to link it to the "2007" date too...

Quick Reply: Considering '07 530xi Sedan > Need advice ASAP