E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering '07 530xi Sedan > Need advice ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a 5'er since my 524TD ... boy do I wish I had that e28 now!

But now after two 7'ers I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 530xi sedan with 10K miles and a full load of options ... Sport, Premium, Nav, PDC, Comfort Access, Heads-up, and the list goes on.

The car has the BMW Maintenance pkg but isn't coming from a BMW store so there is no chance to get it "certified".

That said, after dealing with an e32 and e38 with their expensive maintenance and repairs I'm weighing the option of going to an 2008 Infiniti M35 AWD with similar options, comparable performance, but better reliability. (BUT it's not a BMW ?!?!?)

I've been a BMW owner and driver for more than 20 years and the thought of driving something else is keeping me awake at night. My 2001 e38 is real sweet to drive ... but just crossing over to 90K miles and it's inevitable that it's going to start costing me some reliability pain (cooling system replacement, suspension R&R, Tranny service, etc etc etc.)

Opinions are welcome ... PLEEEZZE!
Lou
1986 524TD
1994 740i
1998 Z3 2.8
2001 740i
Old 12-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

First of all, welcome to the right place on the internet for everything and anything related to the E60! I can already tell you're a brilliant mind since you moved over hear from that roadfly place...

It sounds to me like you're the kind of person (as many of us are like) that won't be happy with the M35 after the first few weeks. You're right, it isn't a BMW...

A 2007 with 10K miles still leaves you with plenty of warranty and maintenance -- assuming you're in the USA. Get it and drive it for at least the amount of time left on the warranty. If the car hasn't given you too much trouble and you want to keep it beyond that time, then go for it. If it's been a car that's been in for too many repairs, then unload it and look for something else!

Sound like a plan?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Hey Luigi,Welcome !! I'm going out on a limb here ,but you're not related to a previous member named Red,White and Blue are you ??
Merry Christmas !
Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='509450' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:18 PM
Hey Luigi,Welcome !! I'm going out on a limb here ,but you're not related to a previous member named Red,White and Blue are you ??
Merry Christmas !
Hello my friend from the Pacific NW ... I'm patriotic so one "Red White and Blue" I can relate to was a band my son played in when he was a high school student.

As for climbing on limbs ... this '07 530ix is haunting me ... similar color combination as my current e38 '01 740i (Orient Blue vs Monaco Blue w/Tan interior). I don't know if I'm going to miss the size of the e38, great ride, and the power of a V-8.

But all tells me that the 5'ers are better reliability bets. And, I have had a 2.8 Z3 since '98 so the 6 cyl is familiar enough. This puppy is loaded ... the only option that didn't make it is the rear/side window screens. That said, I've learned that the sport package makes for a great handlng ride but I should plan on replacing its very expensive tires every 12K miles - even if I drive it conservativley.

The M35 gets rave reviews and candidly it's as close to driving a BMW as any other ride out there. And I can get into a loaded '08 M35 AWD for less than it'd going to take to buy an '07 530xi. My son keeps reminding me that everybody drives a "used" car so I think I got over that hurdle.

I'm gonna do the deal before year end ... so H E L P
Old 12-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='509448' date='Dec 21 2007, 11:10 PM
First of all, welcome to the right place on the internet for everything and anything related to the E60! I can already tell you're a brilliant mind since you moved over hear from that roadfly place...

It sounds to me like you're the kind of person (as many of us are like) that won't be happy with the M35 after the first few weeks. You're right, it isn't a BMW...

A 2007 with 10K miles still leaves you with plenty of warranty and maintenance -- assuming you're in the USA. Get it and drive it for at least the amount of time left on the warranty. If the car hasn't given you too much trouble and you want to keep it beyond that time, then go for it. If it's been a car that's been in for too many repairs, then unload it and look for something else!

Sound like a plan?
Thanks for the welcome and input Rudy ... I've been paging thru the posts on e60.net ... I'm looking to close one of these deals before year-end.

Good thing I've got a spouse who has placed only two limitations ... not another convertible (have a '98 2.8 Z3) and no red cars. Darn! Sometimes life is just tooooo unfair.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Luigi, thanks for the dialogue, you are definitely not related to RWB ( thats a good thing! ) Cars, like life are always about compromise (IMHO) . The Infinity is a nice car. My brother has one and really , really likes it. But , no passion , no love ............. ! Just like good looking girls,................. BMW's take a little more patience, but provide so much more pleasure and perfomance theres only one !!

Cheers
Old 12-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Members

I am new and just bought a 2007 525. I went through the same choice. I really considered the m35. It is a nice car. I just liked the ride and handling characteristics better in the 5. I drove the m35 again 2 weeks ago. I believe I made the right choice. Plus my car is much better on fuel than his.( and not as quick also)
Old 12-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Welcome and good luck on your choice. I'm biased so of course I'm going to say go for the BMW...I recently took delivery of an '08 535i (Monaco blue w/cream beige interior) and would ask you to consider stepping up to the twin tubo I6...it's REALLY a blast to drive!! I'm just now getting enough miles on her to kick things up a a bit and it really amazes me how quick this thing is for an I6,,,I had no idea!! BMW has good year end lease deals going on right now...save you a few payments too!!

By the way, if you do get a BMW...you MUST consider the SprintBooster mod...fairly inexpensive and it really wakes up this car!!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The 535 has the power of many V8's and it's lighter weight and higher numerical gearing does not leave most people wanting for more power. Every time my lease is up I go through and see what the competition is offering. Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus, Audi are usually on the comparison list. For my past four cars BMW has offered what I wanted. Sometimes its a matter of the traction control being too invasive on other makes and sometimes its a matter of detachment from the driving experience. Drive everything and make your own choice.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='509571' date='Dec 22 2007, 10:52 AM
The 535 has the power of many V8's and it's lighter weight and higher numerical gearing does not leave most people wanting for more power. Every time my lease is up I go through and see what the competition is offering. Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus, Audi are usually on the comparison list. For my past four cars BMW has offered what I wanted. Sometimes its a matter of the traction control being too invasive on other makes and sometimes its a matter of detachment from the driving experience. Drive everything and make your own choice.
Thanks for your post.

I too have considered the 535 but backed away for 2 reasons:

Cost: I don't lease. As painful as it might be, I hammer out the best deal and write a check. The 535 as I would want it equipped is just overpriced in the market. Yea I've been a BMW guy for 2+ decades but the last time I spent $63K it got me into a new 7 series. Today replacing a 7 with a 7 would cost me 65 big ones after my trade! Sorry to say I'm neither a lawyer nor or a physician, nor will I pass the cost of an overpriced car to my clients.

Reliability: I'd wait a couple of model years to let BMW shake this one out. BMW makes great engines but they have notoriously weak drive-trains (unless it's a manual transmission). My spouse might drive this one every now and then and she's shiftless!

I toyed with dropping from a 7 to the 335 coupe too ... really pretty and a great driver, but too small. Price point is more attractive than comparably equipped 535 and the car has had an edge on reliability.

Oh well, it's off to try and spend some $$$ I may have to close my eyes and point!

Quick Reply: Considering '07 530xi Sedan > Need advice ASAP