E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confusinon around seating in my '08 on order

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='489237' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:44 AM
They were always called comfort seats-nothing to do with LCI other than the seats being changed a bit. Last year the sport package came with the comfort seats and that is the way it is this year-so basically nothing is any different than last and youll get the revised comfort seats that look a lot less classy IMO but I am sure are fine.

Nobody answered me last time I brought htis up but for anyone with current comfort seats I ask you-how the heck are they any different than the new ones-or how do they say they are unsafe in whiplash situation since with the current ones you adjust the upperback/head rest forward so when you are driving your entire body is essentially cradled with absolutly no room behind your head if you adjust it like I do-so how does the new one with head rests that move forward any different? The current ones have the head rest move forward-except it moves along with the whole upperback/shoulder piece as well-I dont get the upgrade as far as safety is concerened

Here's the answer to your question.
In an accident, your head moves forwards before being thrown back violently (causing whiplash injury), regardless of how you have your headrestraint positioned (that's why we have airbags!).
With the new head restraints, they automatically move forwards slightly as your head moves forward, so that you have less distance to 'whip' backwards before your head makes contact with the head restraint.
The pre 08 model comfort seats actually had this technology already, but it wasn't an option on standard or sports seats. It is now standard on ALL seat types.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Ace90' post='489205' date='Nov 2 2007, 04:03 PM
Hotlap -

You will get the multi-contour seats as shown in the brochure. That's exactly what I have and you WILL love them once you pinpoint which position is best. There are so many adjustments; it took me over a week to decide.

ace

Ace90 - thanks - I believe however, there are newer, single pad, headrest though?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Casper' post='489303' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:24 PM
They were called comfort seats before they changed to multi-contour seats. In 2008 with the sports package you get multi-contour seats (AKA comfort seats).

Casper - that's exactly what I was trying to confirm as that was where my confusion was coming from - seeing the seats called both "comfort Seats" and "multi-contour" seats!! Thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='489388' date='Nov 3 2007, 05:50 AM
Just to clarify... (and perhaps somebody could correct me if I'm wrong re the US specs, but I'm definitely right for the UK bit!!)

In the UK, we have THREE seat variations;
On a non-sport car, you get "standard seats". You can pay extra to get "sport seats", or even more to get "comfort seats". This terminology is still correct.
On an m-sport car, you get "sports seats" as standard. You can pay extra to get "comfort seats".

In the US, you have TWO seat variations;
On a non-sport car, you get "standars seats" - which are the same as the UK sport seats (or standard UK seats are not electric at all, US standard ones are 10-way electric which appears to be the same as UK Sport seats). You can pay extra to get "multi contour seats", which are identical to the UK "comfort seats". In the US they used to be called comfort seats but they changed the name for whatever reason.
On an m-sport car, you get "multi contour seats" as standard.

As you move up to the more expensive models, the higher cost seat options may become standard, again depending where you are.

In other areas, you probably have one of the above scenarios!

Russ - thanks, your response TRULY demonstrates the confusing terminology between various posts I had read
Old 11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Banned

Ah so it moves even further forward automatically when your head moves forward? I take it its only if a crash situation happens because I often do not pin my head against the head rest and instead have it forward but then will lean head back and rest it-back and forth so I would not want it moving constantly.

That is fine and well-makes sense. But in genereal were not the old comfort seats still better than 95 percent of seats out there for the simple fact they did have an adjustable upperback and head rest. IF you look at most seats they do not have a piece that you can move forward like the old comfort seats to where you can move your upper back and neck/head up signifigantly forward. Usually on seats you are sitting with the lower back into the seat and a bunch of room between your upperback/neck/head and the seat itself-

I just do not get how bmw scored that poorly compared to other cars-boggles me
Old 11-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='489494' date='Nov 3 2007, 10:49 AM
Ah so it moves even further forward automatically when your head moves forward? I take it its only if a crash situation happens because I often do not pin my head against the head rest and instead have it forward but then will lean head back and rest it-back and forth so I would not want it moving constantly.

That is fine and well-makes sense. But in genereal were not the old comfort seats still better than 95 percent of seats out there for the simple fact they did have an adjustable upperback and head rest. IF you look at most seats they do not have a piece that you can move forward like the old comfort seats to where you can move your upper back and neck/head up signifigantly forward. Usually on seats you are sitting with the lower back into the seat and a bunch of room between your upperback/neck/head and the seat itself-

I just do not get how bmw scored that poorly compared to other cars-boggles me

rwb - I'm DYING to get my hands on my new 535i - seems it will never arrive, but one of the things that intrigues(sp?) me the most are the 20 way adjustable seats....I have never owned a car with such a level of adjustable seating and can't wait to get them "dialed in". Then with the memory function, my g-friend can adjust them all she wants and I hit one button to return to my "custom"setting....takes me a week to get the seats (just right) in my other cars after she drives them
Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='489321' date='Nov 3 2007, 08:26 AM
That's correct. I do think that the older headrests with the little "wings" that flip out are not being offered anymore. Now they have the new anti-whiplash design...

All seats have new headrests with the anti-whiplash design since BMW MY '08 (after September '08 built).

In Europe there're still three different seat models available.
- Standard
- Sport
- Comfort

Comfort seats have always to ordered with leather and they come with full electrical adjustment.
Additional features as ventilation etc is available.

Sport seats can be ordered with full electrical adjustment, but it's an extra.
They can also be ordered in a leather/fabric combo.

Standard seats are OEM fabric, but can be ordered with leather or synthetic leather but not in leather/fabric combo.

Both Sport and Standard seats come only with two way electrical adjustments OEM.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='489503' date='Nov 3 2007, 08:03 PM
All seats have new headrests with the anti-whiplash design since BMW MY '08 (after September '08 built).

In Europe there're still three different seat models available.
- Standard
- Sport
- Comfort

Comfort seats have always to ordered with leather and they come with full electrical adjustment.
Additional features as ventilation etc is available.

Sport seats can be ordered with full electrical adjustment, but it's an extra.
They can also be ordered in a leather/fabric combo.

Standard seats are OEM fabric, but can be ordered with leather or synthetic leather but not in leather/fabric combo.

Both Sport and Standard seats come only with two way electrical adjustments OEM.
Hi,

Since 03/2007 it has been possible to order comfort seats also without leather.

BR
Old 11-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thank's again TitangrauII530iA,

Great input!

Please comment on this (Finnish prices before new autotax)

456 Comfort Seats 3.060 €
Only with FL/LC but not with KB/AL

FL = Reflex fabric/leather = 1.210 €
LC = Dakota leather = 3,060 €
KB = fabric
AL = leatherette

Comfort Seats with FL would cost 4,270

I suppose the Comfort Seats do include 488? (see below)

- - - -- -

481 = Sport seats 870 €
Only with FL/LC

459 = electrical adjustment 1.680 €
488 = electrical lower back support 550 €

Sport Seats + FL + 459 + 488 = 4.310€
Old 11-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA' post='489507' date='Nov 3 2007, 06:20 PM
Hi,

Since 03/2007 it has been possible to order comfort seats also without leather.

BR

Not in the UK. Comfort seats here MUST be leather, even with the 2008 models.

Quick Reply: Confusinon around seating in my '08 on order