E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Rob
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I searched the forum for this issue but couldn't find anything.

My CD changer gets confused about which CD it is playing. Sometimes the IDrive screen will say "CD 04" but it's really playing CD 5 (and so on). When this happens, voice command no longer will allow me to change the CD. It pauses for a long time and then says "function not available."

I took my car in to the dealer to take care of the recent recall and asked them to fix this issue. They had the car for 3 days and called me today to say they coudn't fix it but that BMW is aware of the issue and will have a software fix soon.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Has anyone had it fixed?

Thanks,
-Rob
Old 08-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I haven't seen that yet.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Contributors

That issue was resolved with the software v.12. I have v 12 and never had a problem and when other members took the car in for an upgrade it solved the problem.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Members

Funny, had this problem this morning too. I thought I was mistaken, now I realize, the Computer could be ...

For me this is a typical software problem. I will not complain officially. There is no sense to update software whenever a minor problem arises, believe me.

I bet, everybody has HUNDREDS of possible bugs in his software version. A new version will not improve. The risk that side errors could arise in the next version is more tha 50% ... (I know very well, I had been working in the software business for 20 twenty years, ten years as an engineer ...)

Best sentence I learned was ... Never change a runnig system ... and generally my system runs well.

All guys around who are keen to have the newest software version in their car will learn that it is not worth while updating ...! :'(

Best Regards

Jack-E61 :winkcool:
Old 08-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I only had this happened twice. It showed CD...Track 3, but was plying track 2...
Made me laugh...
Old 08-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

There is a known bug that was fixed with v12. When restarting your car, the iDrive display would indicate one higher numbered CD than is actually playing.

So, for example, switch to CD3 and the display should indicate CD3. Stop the car, wait a few moments and restart. The same CD should be playing, but the display will indicate CD4.

If that's the problem, and if you have a lower rev than 12, upgrading to 12 will fix the problem. It did for me and a lot of other people.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Rob
Members

Thanks for the information. I asked my dealer about updating the software to fix it and he said they tried but the software didn't "take" - whatever that means. He then told me that BMW said the software update wouldn't fix it and I'd have to wait until a new update was available. He said they would call me (they don't have a good track record calling when they say they will).

So, now I wonder what's going on. I wonder if they just couldn't get the update to work or if there's really a problem even with the latest update.

Thanks,
-Rob
Old 08-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Members

Same thing happens to mine - also, when I select a CD via voice command, it sometimes starts about a second into the first song. Then I think I have a ghost, because after I leave my car and come back - its still playing -- a completely different CD as if it never turns off unless you switch back to radio.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rob' date='Aug 26 2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the information. I asked my dealer about updating the software to fix it and he said they tried but the software didn't "take" - whatever that means. He then told me that BMW said the software update wouldn't fix it and I'd have to wait until a new update was available.
Rob,

With all respect to your dealer, he's wrong. My CD worked fine when I got my car, had the bug described earlier after my first software upgrade and was resolved with the v12 upgrade. If you check other strings in early-July when v12 came out, you'll find a lot of discussion around this fix.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Aug 26 2004, 07:24 PM
[quote name='Rob' date='Aug 26 2004, 10:16 AM'] Thanks for the information. I asked my dealer about updating the software to fix it and he said they tried but the software didn't "take" - whatever that means. He then told me that BMW said the software update wouldn't fix it and I'd have to wait until a new update was available.
Rob,

With all respect to your dealer, he's wrong. My CD worked fine when I got my car, had the bug described earlier after my first software upgrade and was resolved with the v12 upgrade. If you check other strings in early-July when v12 came out, you'll find a lot of discussion around this fix. [/quote]
Hinckley is correct. I got may car from the factory with v12 and never had this problem. Your dealer my have bad info.

Quick Reply: Confused CD Changer