E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused about Headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by Redeye
Thanks for all the valuable info guys. The days are short now here in Ireland so will take some pics at the weekend and post. From reading the above I think I might have the Pre-LCI Halogen. Hopefully you guys will spot it straight away when I post the pics.

Cheers lads
If you have pre-LCI halogen you'll have two screw caps (both exactly the same) on each headlight unit.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you have LCI/adaptive you will see a large spin cap with fins on the back side of the headlight. Open this and the AE bulb is just inside. Rotate bulb and remove, mine are H8's. There is no need to remove your headlights unless you have super fat hands and fingers. It's really very simple...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

LCI and None LCI both have the spin caps!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 AM
wtf
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

I am also confused, I bought some angel eyes, as seen in this ebay ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170410440689...S:1123&vxp=mtr

pic is:

Anyway my painter has the car at the moment fitting the kit and figured I'd get him to fit the angel bulbs (i found removing and refitting the headlights ended up with sliced up hands lol) - he called today to say the bulbs didnt fit.

I have a Australian 2004 E60 with factory HID Xenons (non adaptive). Our headlights here never had the yellow side section, so they are the euro spec ones I guess. I thought I bought the right kit, but he seems to think they didnt fit.

Here is a pic of the headlights on my E60:

Did I buy the wrong ones? If so what do I actually need to get? Or is my painter mistaken?

If i do indeed need to buy new ones, what supplier/sponsor do you suggest for decent brightness and reliability?

Mark
Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Try to watch the video clip on post #7 up above in particular around min 1:50 when the guy pull out the AE bulb out.
You should find the headlight is the same as what you have and the bulb is similar (if not the same) so you should be all good

Originally Posted by wtf
I am also confused, I bought some angel eyes, as seen in this ebay ad:

http://www.ebay.com/...RS:1123&vxp=mtr

pic is:

[...PIC...]

Anyway my painter has the car at the moment fitting the kit and figured I'd get him to fit the angel bulbs (i found removing and refitting the headlights ended up with sliced up hands lol) - he called today to say the bulbs didnt fit.

I have a Australian 2004 E60 with factory HID Xenons (non adaptive). Our headlights here never had the yellow side section, so they are the euro spec ones I guess. I thought I bought the right kit, but he seems to think they didnt fit.

Here is a pic of the headlights on my E60:

[... PIC...]

Did I buy the wrong ones? If so what do I actually need to get? Or is my painter mistaken?

If i do indeed need to buy new ones, what supplier/sponsor do you suggest for decent brightness and reliability?

Mark
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

They look like they would fit... but honestly I would contact John from Motorcepts here on the forum. Does your "painter" know where the AE bulb goes? I dont like the ebay crap... I have the MTEC v3 and they are about as bright as you can get I think without going Orion and cracking your headlights open... Look at the vendor section of the forum.

Edit: Sorry OP, I just realized I responded to a thread hijack....
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 AM
wtf
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

Originally Posted by jaycal3
They look like they would fit... but honestly I would contact John from Motorcepts here on the forum. Does your "painter" know where the AE bulb goes? I dont like the ebay crap... I have the MTEC v3 and they are about as bright as you can get I think without going Orion and cracking your headlights open... Look at the vendor section of the forum.

Edit: Sorry OP, I just realized I responded to a thread hijack....

Yes I am sorry to OP about the thread hijack, I only did it because I thought some of the answers could be common and i didnt want to start yet another thread and get flamed with "WHY DONT YOU SEARCH"

Thanks for the replies, I am interstate at the moment while the car gets its goodies on so I cant point it out to him otherwise I would.. Thus I am not 100% sure whether I am wrong or he is mistaken. Also, after seeing pics of those Mtec v3 I would have gone down that path instead of the cheapy ebay ones. The only saving grace with ebay sellers is they are so paranoid about negative feedback they will warranty stuff practically forever, even though its cheap as.

Now my issue is, if those ones I bought didnt fit, thats the style the MTEC is.. Im currently of the opinion the painter may have looked at the wrong globe.. Im just not looking forward at pulling my headlights out again, it took forever and now i have a freshly painted front bar, I really dont want to scuff it

thanks again!

Mark
Old 11-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I believe that bulb should fit. It's probably the guy has never installed these bulbs before. They ARE a tight fit and kind of a pain in the ass. Definitely not the same as swapping the usual bulbs.