E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused about Headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I'm totally confused and hope you can help.

I have a 2007 E60 MSport which I'm pretty sure is pre LCI. I need to cahnge some bulbs but from looking on the forum and the web, all the light units seem to have either a single screw cap covering the light or two screw caps. On the right unit on my car I have one screw cap on the right and on the left I have a clip off type cover.

Any suggestions on what I have???
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Which lights are trying to change and are they bixenon or not also do you have mtech ?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by syrousd
Which lights are trying to change and are they bixenon or not also do you have mtech ?
Hey Syrousd. I'm trying to change/replace the yellow hoop lights on the driver side (right hand drive car) I have an MSport but I don't have it from new so not sure if they are bixenon. There is only one screw cap cover over the right side of the headlight. Over the left is like a clasp release cover. Don't forget its right hand drive car!! I contacted BMW who gave me a small 1.5 inch push in bulb but can't find where to put it. Both hoops went at the same time and as BMW only gave me one bulb I am assuming that it's a singel bulb for both yellow hoops. Help appreciated
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Mine is a 2008 LCI, so it might be different...but - it is one bulb for both "hoops", in my case its an H8, 35W bulb and goes under the big cap that you can unscrew. did you look in your manual?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

You seems to have Xenon headlight.

The best way is take a close up pic of your headlight so we can tell what kind, as far as the back cover I think they all like that ... the cover for the inner/smaller reflector is twist style while the other clip style for the Xenon and similar twist style for Halogen (at least on the pre-LCI).

Originally Posted by Redeye
Guys I'm totally confused and hope you can help.

I have a 2007 E60 MSport which I'm pretty sure is pre LCI. I need to cahnge some bulbs but from looking on the forum and the web, all the light units seem to have either a single screw cap covering the light or two screw caps. On the right unit on my car I have one screw cap on the right and on the left I have a clip off type cover.

Any suggestions on what I have???
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

The "hoops" also known as Angel Eyes, are a simple DIY change... On my car it was as simple as loosening the headlamp and pulling it out a bit(so I could get my hand in the back of the lamp), unscrewing the circular cap on the back of the lamp, removing the old single AE bulb and replacing it with the new. Each side was the same procedure and each side was an identical headlamp setup with the circular cap. Not sure why you would have 2 different setups... maybe someone else from across the pond can chime in on this one since you have a right hand drive setup - although I would think it shouldnt be different.....

There are many videos on YouTube and I think Bavarian Autosport may even have a DIY on how to change the AE's... this may be helpful to you.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

OK here is the link for none LCI replacement;

Here is the breakdown of both styles;
Attached Thumbnails Confused about Headlights!-headlight-none-lci.png   Confused about Headlights!-headlight-bixenon-lci.png  
Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

On the clasp release cover is there one or two clips,

If there is one clip, then you have LCI halogens. If you have two clips, then you have either pre-LCI or LCI xenons.

The process for removing the angel eye is the same for pre-LCI xenons and LCI halogens (as shown in the YouTube video above). The procedure for the LCI xenon is similar but even easier since the angel eye bulb (H8 bulb in LCI xenon headlights) is easier to remove. The angel eye bulbs in all three headlights are located where the screw fit cover is (where the high beam bulb is).
Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Members

Thanks for all the valuable info guys. The days are short now here in Ireland so will take some pics at the weekend and post. From reading the above I think I might have the Pre-LCI Halogen. Hopefully you guys will spot it straight away when I post the pics.

Cheers lads
Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Members

Second post by mistake

Quick Reply: Confused about Headlights!